NLOTH is good, but here's what I DON'T like:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono oversinging: agree 100%.

NLOTH (song) is not even as good as an "average" U2 song in my eyes.

MOS: Great music, but please stop shouting, Bono. Boring chorus. This album's One? Huh? You're joking, right?

Crazy Tonight: Run-of-the-mill, dime-a-dozen U2 song. Unnecessary falsetto from Bono and Edge playing a Journey riff. No need for this song on the album.

Other than that, the only thing I don't like about the album: In no way, shape, or form is this album "Innovative" or "Breaking new ground" or "Unlike anything that they've ever done" or some of "Their best work"; but then again, I told myself not to buy into the hype and here I am getting all disappointed that it didn't live up to what was said.

Good U2 album, but the dream of the band ever being as "balls-to-the-wall" awesome as they were in the 90's ever again is fading further and further away. I fully expect the tour will outlive the material and will ultimately be the part of this era of U2 that people remember the most.

-- Bono's verbal diarrhea: it's most noticeable on "I'll Go Crazy", but in general he seems determined to pack as many words in per-line as he can. Not sure if this is necessary.

This is the main thing that bothers me with U2 these days. He just jams in so many words - they don't flow with the music at all - it makes good songs sound a little awkward. I don't mind the speaking thing on songs like Cedars of Lebanon, but if he's going to actually sing, find a melody and limit your syllables to fit that melody!

I love the new alblum and appreciate it for what it is. It's a great alblum but there are to many times where Bono constantly does the whole falsetto thing to much. There are to many Ohsssss on this alblum. I love No line On the Horizon but i cringe when he tries to do the whole falsetto thing after every single line. Everytime I put the cd on I skip that song. I still think that this an awesome U2 cd but there are so many songs that are fantastic but are killed slighty by Bonos falsetto. Believe me I've been a fan for ions and I always thought that his falsetto was awesome but to me it just throws the new cd off at times. Can't wait to hear Moment of Surrender on the tour.

I've only heard the album a few times, so my jury still hasn't returned a final verdict. Nevertheless, here's what I'm not enamoured with:

-- "No Line On The Horizon" (the song): It's not terrible or anything, but as an opener it's pretty weak, and the "whoa-oa-oahs" by Bono sound. . . well, not good.

I feel the title track is one of the strongest on the album and the "whoas" were perfectly in the context of the song. I will admit the main refrain (of the title) is a bit weak, but only when compared to the rest of the song.

-- Bono's oversinging: It seems like he has two main voices on this record -- 1) high-pitched and loud (almost falsetto), or 2) talk-singing. For some reason, there aren't a lot of moments where I can hear his full bodied, full-strength voice (which was all over the last album).

I'm not sure what you mean by "full bodied voice", but I feel his vocals here are very similar to TUF (in fact, I feel the album is very similar to TUF) and the best since AB.

Fans have complained he doesn't scream any more. Now he screams and fans complain about it being too "high pitched". :confused:

This album has his screams, his upper register, his falsetto, his lower register and his spoken voice. And no "kermits" around. Quite impressive really. :yes:

- Bono's verbal diarrhea: it's most noticeable on "I'll Go Crazy", but in general he seems determined to pack as many words in per-line as he can. Not sure if this is necessary.

I cannot disagree more. Yes, he does sing a lot on "Crazy", but this is the first album in a while where Bono doesn't sing constantly and lets the music play. He really dominated ATYCLB and HTDAAB, but on NLOTH, there are great sections of just music. As a result, his vocals stand out even more. And for songs where he does sing a lot ("Crazy", "White as Snow" and "Cedars"), it's very justified. The latter two are stories and without him, they wouldn't make sense. But when he can shut up, he does.

- the bass is too low in the mix / vocals too high (as usual when Lanois produces)

Hmmm... Bass sounds very good to my ears (and even car stereo). One of Adam's strongest albums - best since "War".

Anyway, it's certainly an interesting album sonically, and the rhythms are more complex than usual for U2, which is probably good. I really like "White As Snow". And, er... well, it's too early to judge it yet. But those are some things I don't like.

Opinions change considerably with an album over time. You may view some of these items quite differently in a month or so.

Bono oversinging: agree 100%.

NLOTH (song) is not even as good as an "average" U2 song in my eyes.

MOS: Great music, but please stop shouting, Bono. Boring chorus. This album's One? Huh? You're joking, right?

Other than that, the only thing I don't like about the album: In no way, shape, or form is this album "Innovative" or "Breaking new ground" or "Unlike anything that they've ever done" or some of "Their best work"; but then again, I told myself not to buy into the hype and here I am getting all disappointed that it didn't live up to what was said.

Good U2 album, but the dream of the band ever being as "balls-to-the-wall" awesome as they were in the 90's ever again is fading further and further away. I fully expect the tour will outlive the material and will ultimately be the part of this era of U2 that people remember the most.

I agree with this, MoS and the album version of NLOTH don't live up to the expectations, seem unfinished.

only thing on the whole album i dislike are the 2 seconds it takes him to sing the first "crazy" man that hurts.

I don't like:

- Abuse of the "whoaing" - it's all over the album.

- Steve Lillywhite producing. His style is completely off the feel of the album: proof are Crazy and Breathe, the only stuff that still has an over the top feel (though more subdued) in the lines of the previous two albums. Stand Up Comedy is a bit different because it doesn't have that over the top edge and is a good track, however like the other two it doesn't fit this album. I would love to hear an Eno/Lanois produced version of Breathe.

- The mandolin sound on White As Snow - doesn't fit the character of the song.

- Lines like "Force quit and move to trash/Restart and reboot yourself/Tidying the children’s clothes and toys/You’re smiling back at me, I took the photo from the fridge" indigestible from a guy that is capable of "She wears my love like a see-through dress/Kicking darkness till it bleeds daylight" and most of the stuff he wrote in the 80/90s. However there are some good lines on this album.

-This trend of linear storytelling such as in Cedars of Lebanon and White As Snow. Bono has the rare talent of writing lyrics that can be interpreted in multiple ways, why be blatant when he's so good at the not so obvious poetry?

-As someone above said, this is in no way an innovative or ground breaking album but it is still the best stuff U2 has come up since Pop by very far.

-The continuation of the "shopping for a wider audience single" trend we've seen this decade. In the past the singles chosen were an integral part of the albums, as if the singles hadn't been sought after as such. They screamed "this is U2, take it or leave it". Lately they scream "this is U2, we are a nice band - please like us". Bono and Edge are saying whenever they can that U2 is a "punk band". This is definitely not punk attitude.

-In the last few years (namely this decade) U2's been trying too hard to make the ultimate album. U2 has already made the ultimate album - 18 years ago. My guess is that if they relaxed and didn't try so hard we would get to hear even better stuff - and perhaps even get an ultimate album contender.

NLOTH is the best opener since Zoo Station. This album opens very very strong.

I think this is one of Bono's more subtle singing albums he's done in awhile, he didn't have to put some glory notes in there, it's all very organic. Plus I like the fact that he's pushing himself vocally and melodically by singing some faster paced wordier melodies...

What makes you think your opinions warrant a new thread? Do you see me starting new threads? Because I can, you know - I can start a hundred threads about all the little thoughts and whims and complaints and whatever I think about the new U2 album but I don't.

I don't because I realize that I can add my opinions to existing threads if I choose to. I don't feel the need to make this all about me and my need for some sort of validation.

but hey, I'm just an ass, what do I know?

Good to see that you are in touch with yourself :up:

By the way, if everyone would think like you there would not be a threat in the first place. Let the guy/girl have an opinion for Gods sake. it is not like he/she is a murdering pedophile or something.

I'm not going to lie. After much listening I'm scratching my head. I love U2. Love them...defend them to the death....

I adore NLOTH, MOS, Magnificent. What an amazing start to the record....then it falls off.

Unknown Caller - wacky lyrics. Too wack for me to like. Arcade Fire rip off maybe?
Fez/Being Born - WTF? Experimental yes. Great song....hell no. The Fez part is kinda cool. But Being Born? Goes no where for me. Sounds a bit like it belongs on Passengers. Why is Bono moaning like he's giving birth?
Cedars of Lebanon - Why the Leonard Cohen voice? This one is a sleeper zzzzzz . Other U2 have ended albums better than this.
I'll Go Crazy - This one was promising for me.....but then it has some very "Irish Jig" sounding parts. The chorus that goes "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" sounds really cheezy. Horrible title.

What I like....
White as Snow - I'll take this one as THE good slow song on the record. Winter could have also be put on this and replace Cedars.
Boots - I like it. I like it a lot. It even makes more sense in the context of the album.
Stand Up Comedy - It starts out great but then after the parts when Bono sings "little old lady" and then the oooooos start. That part is wack. However I don't give this one an "x" as it overall makes the cut. Again...I'm used to U2 songs being majorly good. This one just makes the cut.

In my opinion, this album starts out so promising and then drops for me.

You know how people group the albums in threes. Boy/October/War - UF/JT/R&H - AB/Zooropa/Pop ......

...... I can honestly feel like this album in fact CAN be clumped with the ATYCLB and HTDAAB album. I'm just saying. It has a little more edge that the previous two...

I think I'm going to eagerly cheer when the next album they claim they have lined up.....I hope that doesn't take too long to drop. I can only hope it is sonically amazing.

Do I still love U2 dearly? Yes I do. However on this album there are several songs that I would skip.

Back in the day folks would by an album with only one hit song on it. In this case.....U2 has 5 on this one that make it.

On Achtung Baby.....I never skip a track.

NLOTH is the best opener since Zoo Station. This album opens very very strong.

I think this is one of Bono's more subtle singing albums he's done in awhile, he didn't have to put some glory notes in there, it's all very organic. Plus I like the fact that he's pushing himself vocally and melodically by singing some faster paced wordier melodies...

I completely agree with u about the glory notes - like on sometimes when he sings the BIG SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING - its like he is saying hey look what I can do (as if he is making up for the other questionable singing) - on NLOTH - he is more subdued as I feel he knows he doesn't have to prove that he can sing great as the singing in general is overal better and more consistent and therefore speaks for itself without being as blatantly obvious

By the way, if everyone would think like you there would not be a threat in the first place. Let the guy/girl have an opinion for Gods sake. it is not like he/she is a murdering pedophile or something.

Anytime someone doesn't like U2 a kitten dies, so in a way he is a murderer.

...indigestible from a guy that is capable of "She wears my love like a see-through dress/Kicking darkness till it bleeds daylight" and most of the stuff he wrote in the 80/90s. However there are some good lines on this album.

that is indeed an awesome line, shame he never wrote it...

Freudian slips ftw :drool:

yeah... TOO many ooh oohs in a lot of songs... some work (Unknown Caller), some not

here's what I don't like of this album

CEDARS OF LEBANON

worst song I've heard in quite sometime.... if Bono could've sang at least a little bit it may have been saved... but not even that... RED LIGHT kind of crap... one of the WORST songs I've heard from them

and Magnificent... great, but the opening chorus doesn't work, and the big anthemic chorus should've been at the end, not in the middle, before the break of the song

BEING BORN is the best U2 song of the 2000s, there, I said it. :love: A song I'm PROUD of showing to fellow music-lover-friends

NLOTH :down:
NLOTH 2 :up:

Everybody is entitled to their opinions. Absolutely. I just don't care about hearing what people "don't like"...and that would be my opinion. It's funny because it's usually complain about stuff that I love. I just get so annoyed at the way some people proclaim their dislikes as if others really care what didn't work for said person when it comes to the new album. It's like all those Facebookers and Twitterers who think that people must be interested in hearing all their random musings about anything under the sun.

The thing I dont like about the new album is....

Everyone whom is pointing out faults in the album comparing it to Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree. Stop creating straw man arguments and comparitively criticising the album to their top works a whole generation ago.

Im all for a person's critical analysis within a present day context.

Back
Top Bottom