NLOTH Album Reviews - Professional / Web / Mag Reviews ONLY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:lol:

Well I bought the album, so "nobody" is a little exaggerated. And I guess some people on this board bought it, too. Actually, enough people seem to have bought it to make the album no. 1 in 30 something countries.

Oh, that must hurt.

i haven't read that article yet, but wasn't it said that a half million people illegally downloaded the album too?

And the fact that its back upto #2 in the U.S.?, oh wait they started the blog with "reports that U2's boring new album", so i stopped reading.

i haven't read that article yet, but wasn't it said that a half million people illegally downloaded the album too?

Yes.
and I might add to said columnist, It's the ecomomy, stupid.:doh:
oh and this isn't the holiday season, either.

If that's not understood, then it's just like Bono said: everyone has an opinion and thinks everyone out there wants to hear it these days.:wink:

Am lazy so unsure as to whether this has been posted or not . . . as I am also a snail, it is highly probable :lol:

just read this from the new yorker and adored the last quote . . . which I have so kindly pasted v

"This album is a long dinner with old friends, all of whom love each other, most of whom are born talkers, and some of whom hold the floor for too long. Not every anecdote holds up, and some of the food belongs, untouched, on the edge of your plate. But it would be small-minded to leave before the whole warm, rambling night is over. "♦
Just loved that analogy is all :D

Rest of the article here . . . click on the little thingy that has blurb about U2 half way down page . . . told you I was lazy :D

HootSuite-ultimate-Twitter-profile-management-toolbox

:wave:

I wonder if it was opposite day at Classic Rock magazine?

They actuall gave a U2 album [NLOTH in this case] a great review. Check your local newstand for the issue. It's got Jimmy Page on the cover.

:up:

Well someone called Tony Clayton-Lea doesnt like the album, "“Their recently-released album, ‘No Line on the Horizon’ , is less of a masterpiece than many critics are claiming,

“Indeed, it contains some of the most mediocre music U2 have created, something that seems to have been doggedly overlooked in the rush to lionize them (which is also occasionally justified). The next album had better be very much in the zone, otherwise we’re outta here.”

Well, having finally gotten round to listening the album, my verdict is that this is a cracker of a record. Possibly their most immediate record ever, and in my opinion the best since Achtung.

I'm not thinking of too many negatives (for once) but if I had to think of a negative, it would probably be that some of the songs wear their influences just a bit too obviously. But U2 have always been great distillers of their idols' work - like Bowie, they have always been great mix-and-mashers or even interpreters of other peoples work (I don't intend that as a criticism, BTW.)

All the stuff that turned me off about ATYCLB and HTDAAB - the overproduction, the sluggishness - is just gone from this record. I always thought with ATYCLB/HTDAAB period, well if you want to write chart hits, fine, but in choosing your influences, pick stuff that's actually good in the first place. In my opinion, U2 were being influenced by stuff in that era - the early 00's - that wasn't really any great shakes in the first place. In this record, they have made the right choices, in my view.

In an odd way, I think of this as the record Passengers should have been. I genuinely thought that U2 were going to go supernova after the ZOOTV period and really bring rock to a new level (a cliche, I know, but I can't think of any better way of saying it). I'm not sure they've quite accomplished that with this record, but I think it is as good as anything that's out there at present, and better than most.

'Artist as shaman' is a thing I'm big on at present. It's kind of how I judge music at the moment - is this timelesss, whilst also evoking the mood of a particular time and place? Plus, also, the immediacy and the emotional fix, as it were. Radiohead, I think, have that characteristic to their music, and U2, I'm pleasantly surprised to admit, still have it.

I had no idea you were a professional, FG. You should throw your weight around in B&C more often.

I had no idea you were a professional, FG. You should throw your weight around in B&C more often.

Technically, I am a professional. Not necessarily a professional music journalist, but the thread did ask for reviews from professionals, didn't it? :lol:

Technically, I am a professional. Not necessarily a professional music journalist, but the thread did ask for reviews from professionals, didn't it? :lol:

Hey, let's not split hairs. After all, it was certainly more professional than NOW Magazine's take. :wink:

Well, having finally gotten round to listening the album, my verdict is that this is a cracker of a record. Possibly their most immediate record ever, and in my opinion the best since Achtung.

I'm not thinking of too many negatives (for once) but if I had to think of a negative, it would probably be that some of the songs wear their influences just a bit too obviously. But U2 have always been great distillers of their idols' work - like Bowie, they have always been great mix-and-mashers or even interpreters of other peoples work (I don't intend that as a criticism, BTW.)

All the stuff that turned me off about ATYCLB and HTDAAB - the overproduction, the sluggishness - is just gone from this record. I always thought with ATYCLB/HTDAAB period, well if you want to write chart hits, fine, but in choosing your influences, pick stuff that's actually good in the first place. In my opinion, U2 were being influenced by stuff in that era - the early 00's - that wasn't really any great shakes in the first place. In this record, they have made the right choices, in my view.

In an odd way, I think of this as the record Passengers should have been. I genuinely thought that U2 were going to go supernova after the ZOOTV period and really bring rock to a new level (a cliche, I know, but I can't think of any better way of saying it). I'm not sure they've quite accomplished that with this record, but I think it is as good as anything that's out there at present, and better than most.

'Artist as shaman' is a thing I'm big on at present. It's kind of how I judge music at the moment - is this timelesss, whilst also evoking the mood of a particular time and place? Plus, also, the immediacy and the emotional fix, as it were. Radiohead, I think, have that characteristic to their music, and U2, I'm pleasantly surprised to admit, still have it.

Glad you like it FG, I agree with what you said, especially about expecting U2 to go supernova after ZOO TV bit.

While the "Telegragh" from Calcutta doesn't carry the weight of the 5-star reviews from Rolling Stone, Blender, etc., and it's being published a few months after the album's release, this is still one of the better reviews I've read regarding NLOTH. I happen to agree with it...so that helps. Anyway, enjoy. (Sorry if this has been posted already).

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Entertainment | Born to sing

That is soooo true-- in fact so much that it clouds the vision.. unicorn should not be just trying to defend.. its almost an admission of uncertainty of the quality of the album.. I LOVE this band for years. it's okay to not like everthing they do; especially just because its the latest release... we would be nothing less than Britney Spears fans if we were not critical of their music.. thanks for saying what many are thinking zwervers2..

While the "Telegragh" from Calcutta doesn't carry the weight of the 5-star reviews from Rolling Stone, Blender, etc., and it's being published a few months after the album's release, this is still one of the better reviews I've read regarding NLOTH. I happen to agree with it...so that helps. Anyway, enjoy. (Sorry if this has been posted already).

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Entertainment | Born to sing

Love this review. I agree with everything the reviewer says.

The album just grows denser with each listen for me. Beautiful textures that I haven't seen since Achtung Baby.

Back
Top Bottom