NLOTH Album Reviews - Professional / Web / Mag Reviews ONLY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most reviews I read were positive, that's enough for me. I never expected media in my country to give the album positive reviews, but they did. There were gazillions of reviews coming in over the weekend and there were many positive ones. The major music magazines gave good reviews, that's important. Some reviewers just cannot get over themselves. Why can't they give higher ratings if they can admit that the album is "their best since AB"?

The only thing I can think of is what I've stated before: I believe a lot of people feel burnt by the last album and are no longer giving U2 the benefit of the doubt and are perhaps overcompensating for that feeling.

A 4.2 is ridiculously low. But I really wish Bono would call up Pitchfork and schedule and interview and duke it out with 'em like with Greg Kot (I think that's who it was). The best thing about a 4.2 is maybe the band will see it and try harder. I'm not saying they should listen to Pitchfork or anything, but I'd love to see the score effect their work.

^ What? Why? Just because ONE site says crap, U2 should think about their work? As far as I see, many fans love the album, me included. I don't want a different album, I want reviewers to be a little fairer towards the band and write about the music instead of always attacking them personally and make cheap jokes. I don't think I let this crap influence my love for the album, I'm not insecure like that, and U2 better not be, either. Their music is more important than this little crap review that was written by someone who is clearly full of himself.

^ What? Why? Just because ONE site says crap, U2 should think about their work? As far as I see, many fans love the album, me included. I don't want a different album, I want reviewers to be a little fairer towards the band and write about the music instead of always attacking them personally and make cheap jokes. I don't think I let this crap influence my love for the album, I'm not insecure like that, and U2 better not be, either. Their music is more important than this little crap review that was written by someone who is clearly full of himself.

Ummm, I thought pretty much everyone was under the impression that U2 pays attention to their critics. I kinda thought that's where Achtung sprang from. And the allmusic blog had that thing about U2 caring about their critics. And on some article I just read it stated that Bono knew how the album was being received.

If they responded to Pitchfork they'd be responding to the major criticism of this album, even if PF didn't write a meaningful review. I know I feel the way Pitchfork does; a lot of the more negative reviews do. Its not like Pitchfork is the only one. I like the new album; but I like it most as an album that promises more and better experimentation in the future.

Well, I actually think there are fans who don't want U2 to be experimental just for experimentation's sake, and I'm one of them.

I couldn't be more pleased with their new album.

If they decided to go more into experimentation, there would be a whole lot of media bashing them for exactly that.

I don't think they should respond, why compromise? U2 think they've made a great album and they shouldn't be forced to defend or justify it to anyone.

It's not like the overall critical response to the album would be negative. I think we tend to lose perspective just because that site gave such a lousy review.

Oh, okay. Cool.

I just think the critical response would be a lot more positive - all around, from the negative reviews especially - if the band was more experimental. I actually don't think they'd be knocked at all for being too experimental. Partly because I don't think they're capable of being too experimental at this point. But such are my personal hopes, and such are the hopes the band inspires, that's all. I think experimentation would only strengthen the caliber of their music, which to me has become locked into a certain sound. I honestly don't think that if they made Achtung pt. 2 that people would say it sounds like U2, because Achtung isn't the sound most people associate with the band - its the chiming guitars and more anthemic songs. Instead of saying it sounds like U2 they'd say it sounds like Achtung Baby. I hope I'm making sense.

Has the Blender review been posted? I know we've all heard that it was a five star rating.

Anyway, here it is (apologies if it's already here somewhere):

U2
No Line on the Horizon

(Interscope)
Release Date: 3/3/2009

Immodesty fuels a great, alienated album from the universe’s biggest rock band.
Reviewed by Rob Sheffield

“My ego’s not really the enemy,” Bono confides on the new U2 album. “It’s like a small child crossing an eight-lane highway/On a voyage of discovery.” Eight lanes? Keep counting, boyo. All over this record, he paves whole new interstates of ego, with exit ramps darting in and out of every verse, and that’s exactly how it should be. The days are gone when U2 were trying to keep it simple—at this point, the lads have realized that over-the-top romantic grandiosity is the style that suits them, so they come on like the cosmic guitar supplicants they were born to be. No Line on the Horizon is U2’s third killer in a row—by now, it’s bizarre to remember that just 10 years ago, everybody thought they were headed toward the dinosaur band tar pits. But ever since they went from midlife crisis to midlife rejuvenation, with All That You Can’t Leave Behind, they’ve been on a roll. Here, they go for the abstract, Euro vibe of Achtung Baby or The Unforgettable Fire, piling on the cathedral-size keyboards. Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois are back on hand, giving the production a dub-like reverb without quashing the momentum. One song (“Fez—Being Born”) rolls along on the melodic pointillism of minimalist composer Steve Reich; while another (“I’ll Go Crazy if I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight”) bites the piano hook from Journey’s “Faithfully,” and that gives a rough picture of how far U2 range on Horizon. “Moment of Surrender” is the high point—seven minutes of Bono in gospel mode, lost in the late-night city (“I was speeding on the subway/Through the stations of the cross”), questing for salvation and finding it in Adam Clayton’s bass. The Edge fleshes out the yearning with some piercing crazy-diamond guitar. It’s the kind of gimme-divinity anthem that U2 cut their teeth on, except it really does seem like they’ve gotten better at these songs now that they’ve picked up some bummed-out adult grit. Bono actually sounds scared of something in this song, and whether his nightmares are religious or sexual, the fear gives his voice some heft. Compared to “Moment of Surrender,” “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” just sounds like a callow kid trying to snag a date at Bible camp. “Unknown Caller” is another vivid picture of spiritual jet lag—usually when rock stars use their cell phones as metaphors, it seems like they got bored at the airport, but this one truly puts on the chill. Bono reaches Bowie-in-Berlin levels of arty alienation (“I had driven to the scene of the accident/And I sat there waiting for me”), while the guitars crackle in the album’s finest Edgemanship. “Get On Your Boots” is a manic low-end rocker a la “Vertigo,” with phased ’70s-style synths, buzzing guitar and a breathless vocal from Bono that brings back fond memories of the days when the Edge tried to rap. (All the talk about “sexy boots,” community, joy, war, Satan and bomb scares—well, it’s typical of the jumble of eroticism, politics and spirituality that defines this album, and, probably, Bono’s BlackBerry. ) The songs get slower and less compelling toward the end; that’s how U2 always pace things. Yet they achieve liftoff in the rockers, especially “No Line on the Horizon” (yet another lonely party girl who wants more than a party) and “Magnificent” (yet another hymn to the powers of love). You can hear Eno’s touch all over: “Moment of Surrender” opens with an organ solo straight from “The Big Ship,” on his 1975 classic Another Green World. But it’s Bono who dominates. He hasn’t crammed in this many words per song in over 10 years—to be specific, since the least-loved item in the U2 catalogue, Pop, the grim, slow, morbid flop they tried and failed to sell as their ironic techno statement. The difference now is that they’re no longer apologizing for their messy emotions or their lofty ambitions. Ego really isn’t their enemy—it’s their instrument, and on No Line on the Horizon they just plug it in and play.

Oh cool, Rob Sheffield - I really enjoy his writing. His regular column/article in Blender is consistently the best thing in every issue for me.

For someone who's not bothered by one shitty review, you sure do have a lot to say about it.

That said, that score *is* surprisingly low from Pitchfork. I think the new album is better than Bomb, but it sure isn't the masterpiece Rollingstone claims it is.

Well, I actually think there are fans who don't want U2 to be experimental just for experimentation's sake, and I'm one of them.

I couldn't be more pleased with their new album.

If they decided to go more into experimentation, there would be a whole lot of media bashing them for exactly that.

I don't think they should respond, why compromise? U2 think they've made a great album and they shouldn't be forced to defend or justify it to anyone.

It's not like the overall critical response to the album would be negative. I think we tend to lose perspective just because that site gave such a lousy review.

And by the way, I was saying that it should make them look at themselves and see if they could be doing something better, not that they should just cave in to a negative review. Just because they think they've made a great album doesn't mean it actually is; being a musician myself, I know that its hard to take a step back from what you're doing to really judge its worth. When they consider the response to what they're doing - both the positive and the negative - they can definitely gain from it. Not to appease people, but to learn from mistakes they may not have realized were mistakes. A poor review could be like a challenge to the band, if they really take to heart what was written and they find they agree with it, but only if they find they agree with it. That's all I meant.

Here's a very positive review from The Huffington Post to make up for the craptastic one they had last week:

U2 - NO LINE ON THE HORIZON Mike Ragogna music biz vet, entertainment writer
Posted March 2, 2009 | 05:28 AM (EST)

Well, if you were expecting another All That You Can't Leave Behind or How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - Part II, forget it. However, U2 is back to experimenting (Achtung Baby) which has not always been a good thing (Zooropa), but in this case, it's great (No Line On The Horizon). This latest U2 release is more engaging than self-indulgent, and from the moment we hear the title track's opening line, "I know a girl who's like the sea, I watch her changing every day for me," we're clued-in that the album's musical horizon line will be just as challenging. There are familiar landmark's along the way, such as revisited chord patterns, stylized Bonomotions, Adam Clayton's bass riffs, Larry Mullen, Jr.'s drums, and The Edge's guitars, especially those in "Magnificent"'s intro that reprise "Sunday Bloody Sunday." The three co-producers lend their usual, very large helping hands: Brian Eno sings background and programs 'til his fingers drop, Daniel "Danny" Lanois also adds vocals plus those swimmy, million dollar guitar layers, and Steve Lillywhite engineers and mixes No Line On The Horizon like it was the most important assignment ever.

Like any good U2 album, this is about a journey of the soul both through love and how it relates to global concerns. On the album's mid-tempo "Moment Of Surrender," Bono sings about a fall from love like the Fall From Eden. "It's not if I believe in love, but if love believes in me" is his realization -- "love" being bigger than him or his relationships; without it, he admits it's like living in an emotional "black hole." One of song's best visuals accompanies the line, "I was punching in the numbers at the ATM machine, I could see in the reflection a face staring back at me." This could be dismissed as a variation on the old "taking a good look in the mirror and not being happy with what I see" cliché. But that's not where the song is going. Quick, profound thoughts such as, "Is this all there is?" or "I've got to fix my life," if we're honest with ourselves, occur daily on the grocery line, at the stop light, or, yeah, at the ATM machine. Bono closes the song with the chorus' profound hook, "At the moment of surrender of vision over visibility, I did not notice the passers-by and they did not notice me," describing the results of his surrender of self-importance, a human flaw that often gets in the way.

"Unknown Caller" is more poem than song, mating typical technology-speak with life during the wee small hours of the morning (when one is "lost between the midnight and the dawning"). Phrases like "speed dialing with no numbers at all," "force quit and move to trash" "restart and reboot yourself," "password, you enter here, right now," are a tad silly, and they're not going to endear themselves to critics and everyone's first listen. But...play this track while going online at like two in the morning and see how you feel about it...not bad, huh? This is one of the album's handful of lab tests that just needs the proper microscope.

In "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight," Bono sets us up with yet another one of U2's women, then informs us, "There's a part of me in the chaos that's quiet, there's a part of you that wants me to riot." Just when you're sure you're listening to a simple come-on song (or at least a plea for a night out with the boys), in steps "every generation gets a chance to change the world," "the sweetest melody is the one we haven't heard," and "we're gonna make it all the way to the light." Um, meaning let's have a baby? After all, there'll be some "shouting to the darkness," as they "squeeze out sparks of light." But even if this is not a U2 impregnation anthem, the final lyric's, "You know we'll go crazy if we don't go crazy tonight...slowly now..." surely conjures something done naked.

That brings us to one of the album's more "commercial" tracks, "Get On Your Boots." If you love Elvis Costello's "Pump It Up," you're gonna REALLY kinda like this one. Oh, the joy you'll feel listening to that same rhyming pattern that is suddenly thrown off-kilter with a Beatles-ish pre-chorus ("You don't know how beautiful you are..."), complete with an unintended, coincidental cloning of a line from Rupert Holmes' "You Don't Get It." But wait...order now and you'll get lyrics filled with international intrigue, liberation, psychedelic non-sequiturs, and a Maren Jensen-style hottie strutting around in sexy Nancy Sinatra boots. But that's not all! U2 throws in just enough grinding guitars, handclaps and sixties keyboards to transport you back to that marvelous, pre-Ginsu knife era. Hey, I'm buyin' it!

With a simplified guitar riff that blends iconic Bad Company with more than a hint of Jimi Hendrix, "Stand Up Comedy" has the dubious honor of playing along innocently until it hits the phrase "...our love is stretched in-between our two towers." Now, U2 absolutely knows that's a very touchy button they're pushing, even nowadays, and especially in a song titled, "Stand Up Comedy." But, hold on, the redemption comes with patience, since the song pitches that people should "stand up" for things they believe in (like "love," of course) and against bad things (that aren't "love," of course). The comedy comes in the context of the general global stupidity that's gone down to this point. Speaking of comedy (no, not really), the first half of the experimental "FEZ-Being Born" pulls off a Beatles White Album-esque sound collage before it segues into the most poetic read of a "crash" (as a metaphor for either birth or death) you've ever heard.

The track bleeds into "White As Snow"'s acoustic guitar intro that is very reminiscent of Paul Simon's moody "Duncan." Like Simon's song, it sets up a dreary existence in the lyrics: "Where I come from, there were no hills at all, the land was flat, the highway straight and wide." Instead of heading down the turnpike to New England as Simon said, "White As Snow" taps Springsteen territory that places the singer with his brother traveling in a car for what seems like years, their "faces as pale as the dirty snow." Eventually, the story arrives in a post-apocalyptic landscape as every good folk song should (this one composed with a traditional melody and original lyrics). Its lesson touts appreciation for what you've got, its deeper message being, "If only a heart could be as white as snow."

With a possible fortune awaiting if paid by the word, U2's rock waltz "Breathe" is classic with moments of old Jefferson Airplane harmonies in the chorus. Bono appeals, "Walk out into the street, sing your heart out, the people we meet will not be drowned out," but what seems like yet another U2 call to arm-in-arms is more like the wearing of a brave face. Then, that aforementioned journey of the soul ends in the luscious "Cedars Of Lebanon" that gets real personal through lines like, "I have your face here in an old Polaroid, tidying the children's clothes and toys, you're smiling back at me, I took the photo from the fridge." We're all in that kitchen, in that photo, and in the scenario that follows, as told by, presumably, a sad, lonely soldier who is far from home. Sporadically-introduced edgy synth sounds intentionally prevent the listener from ever settling-in with the surroundings, mildly simulating what our soldier is experiencing. Then, the song--as well as No Line On The Horizon--leaves the listener with these wise, sobering words: "Choose your enemies carefully 'cos they will define you...they're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends, gonna last with you longer than your friend." Regardless of what the album title suggests, this group still knows how to help us keep our bearings.

Canada's Globe & Mail: it says two and a half stars at the site, but i don't know whether that's out of 4 or 5 stars (i think the Globe only goes up to 4). I hate reviewers who's comments, in the end, negate each other. This reviewer loves to "loll about" in these songs, but they are "pompous and self important" (much like many three-named critics, i suppose).

globeandmail.com: U2 conjures a gleam of heaven

U2 conjures a gleam of heaven
ROBERT EVERETT-GREEN

March 2, 2009 at 4:03 PM EST

No Line on the Horizon

U2
Universal

This record would be good to play in a car. Not just any car — a fast, luxurious, beautifully engineered German sedan.

That's okay, isn't it? We all like to ride in cars like that, where you only have to touch the climate controls to feel like the master of the universe. It's kind of that way with U2's latest album, in which every guitar note, every cymbal splash, every wail from Bono's throat is (to borrow the title from one of the tracks) magnificent. This is what the good life sounds like, people, and it costs way less than a Mercedes S-class.

Of course Bono's not always singing about good times and the high life. Some sort of bad history is implied by the lyrics of Moment of Surrender (It's not if I believe in love/If love believes in me"). But we see the suffering protagonist just when he seems to be having a religious experience of all-encompassing love, and what better life is there than that? I defy anyone to listen to the organ in this tune without thinking of a church.

In fact, all the way through this record I kept asking myself: If U2 made an album of songs on overtly religious subjects, would it sound any different than this?

Some kind of spiritual elevation seems to be going on in every song, though the means of release into a higher state are often purely technical. The sounds have such a heavenly gleam, and their distribution is so magically spacious, that even twaddle ("only a heart could be as white as snow") can seem profound. Your feeling about U2 in its present incarnation depends upon whether you hear this transformation as genuine, or as a trick of inflationary rhetoric.

Me, I like rhetorical games. It's sort of fun to loll about in these tracks, to get lost in the towering cozy warmth of Bono's voice and the Edge's guitar, to vibrate in sympathy with the band's delicious chordal thrumming. The single Get on Your Boots has a good restless kick to it — a rare thing on this disc. But in general I think that this kind of music is the reason punk was invented. It mostly feels rather pompous and self-important.

I say that with no disrepect to Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois, who produced the record, co-wrote some of the songs and built the magic sound-world from which U2 is once again preparing to take over the world. Talents that Lanois and Eno use to powerful effect in their own work have been drafted for a project that at times feels close to self-parody.

"The right to be ridiculous is one I hold dear," Bono sings. Who would deny him that right?

This one didn't seem to like it. 2.5/5

No Hope For U2 On Horizon
No Line On The Horizon
Interscope/Universal

Kate Harper (CHARTattack)

03/02/2009 3:55pm

It seemed like there was a time when U2 could do no wrong. About nine years ago, when All That You Can't Leave Behind redeemed them from the disastrous electronica and disco experiments of 1997's Pop, it felt like they really had the answers to the world's problems. A year after All That You Can't Leave Behind came out, the U.S. was attacked, and the world needed Bono's earnestness again because it needed something to believe in.

But nearly 10 years have passed, and you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone (other than U2 diehards, of course) who doesn't see Bono's activism and political sloganeering as horribly clichéd. The world is now an immeasurably different place, and Bono even recently said he was sick of himself and needed reinvention. It probably doesn't help that Coldplay are now the world's biggest band and Barack Obama took over where U2 left off.

It's not surprising, then, that U2 say they've tried to inject a bit more of a "modern" sound into No Line On The Horizon, which The Edge said was influenced by Jack White. (Shouldn't it be the other way around?) But No Line On The Horizon comes across as — surprise, surprise — typical U2, and a poor version, at that.

It's no surprise that the title track and album opener contains soaring choruses, vaguely angular Edge guitar riffs and a ringing piano melody in the pre-chorus that's so obvious that it's almost offensive. It's a decent opener, though, even if it makes them come across as a pale imitation of themselves.

"Magnificent" opens with a vaguely Led Zeppelin-ish guitar chord. But then, for some reason, it adopts electronic elements like sampled drums, percussion and a terrible synthesizer riff fit for a Depeche Mode record. It then blasts back into full-on U2 mode with tiresome lyrics like "Only love could leave such a scar" before the title is repeated over and over. It's perhaps telling that U2's "experimentation" only ends with them sounding like their typical selves.

There's the obligatory Christianity reference on "Moment Of Surrender" when Bono sings, "I was speeding on the subway through the stations of the cross." Even though it's a typical Bono-ism, it provides a brief look into why he used to be a brilliant lyricist. It's quite the witty quip, since it refers to a Catholic ritual and London's many "Cross" tube stations (ie: Charing Cross, etc.).

"Get On Your Boots" may not be the most cerebral or well-thought-out track U2 have ever recorded. Its chorus is practically as vacuous as "Discotheque," but at least it's a bit different from most of the songs on No Line On The Horizon. That said, ripping off the drum patterns to Zeppelin's "When The Levee Breaks" isn't exactly the brightest move.

"Stand Up Comedy," which the band spent 16 months working on, has a bluesier intro riff. It's an enjoyable song, but U2 get lost in the same stale formula that makes the song sound like a cliché, especially when Bono sings "Come on ye people, stand up for your love!"

It's once you reach the last three tracks that things finally start to get interesting. "White As Snow" begins with delicate piano and a quiet, finger-picked electric guitar. You'd think it would explode into some soaring melody, all "Bad" style, but it doesn't — and that's what makes it so enjoyable. It's a shot of something different in a sea of sameness.

Similarly, "Cedars Of Lebanon," in which Bono pictures himself as a newspaper war correspondent, may actually be one of the most imaginative tracks U2 have ever recorded. Sure, the music isn't particularly interesting, but its setting demonstrates an ability to think outside the box. It's a shame this couldn't extend to the rest of No Line On The Horizon.

Most bands develop a signature sound throughout their career, and it's a bit silly to call out a band for sounding like themselves when they're 30-plus years into a career. But there's a problem when things stop sounding original and start sounding forced. U2, as Bono once sang, are stuck in a moment and can't get out of it. If U2 wanted No Line On The Horizon to be the album that reinvented them, this isn't it.

Canada's Globe & Mail: it says two and a half stars at the site, but i don't know whether that's out of 4 or 5 stars (i think the Globe only goes up to 4). I hate reviewers who's comments, in the end, negate each other. This reviewer loves to "loll about" in these songs, but they are "pompous and self important" (much like many three-named critics, i suppose).

You're right; that's out of four stars. And you're also right about the pretentiousness of that reviewer ,and in fact most of the writers at The Globe, who just love to show how much smarter they are than anyone else: Always heavy on the snarky and the snide.

"Boston Globe" (destined for Metacritic) = :up:

On "No Line on the Horizon,'' U2 looks in and branches out - The Boston Globe

By Sarah Rodman, Globe Staff | March 3, 2009

"No Line on the Horizon" is one of those titles that can be interpreted several ways.

Like the cover image of U2's 12th album - a Hiroshi Sugimoto photo - the idea could mean limitless possibilities ahead. Or, with no place to make safe landfall in sight, it could represent a fear of uncharted territory. (Can you relate, y'all?) The black-and-white photo captures gray skies and placid waters; who knows what lurks beneath. Favorable currents? Stagnancy? Sea monsters?

That multiplicity suits the many moods of the Irish rockers' latest, out today. It seems the quartet worked out the "return to form" stuff with their last two enjoyable but less artful records. Now they've gotten down to the business of exploring the world within and without in a way that speaks to their own muses - as opposed to the demands of their robust fan base.

But this is still U2 we're talking about, with help from producers Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois, and Steve Lillywhite. So, as Bono, the Edge, Adam Clayton, and Larry Mullen Jr. skip from brooding to ecstatic to analytical and embrace new practices - and even some humor - the overall effect remains a familiar one: uplift. But, perhaps befitting the muted, white-knuckle fears of the moment, that sense of ascension doesn't always arrive in the usual "greatest band in the land" manner of surging choruses and triumphant reverb. Deeply personal lyrics, sonic experimentations, some of Bono's most emotional vocalizing, and, OK, a few surging choruses and triumphant reverb all play a part.

By unshackling its adventurous side, the band helps "Line" soar gracefully, at least in part.

Particularly moving are Bono's dry, unadorned vocals on "White as Snow" as he sings of hard lessons learned that could easily apply to love, faith, or country, with doleful horns and sparkling piano underscoring his musings. "Cedars of Lebanon" expands out to the larger canvas of a war correspondent but feels like intimate eavesdropping as Bono sings of pangs of homesickness and dislocation. The songs work not because of tunefulness or familiar U2 signposts but because they feel so honest.

The hip-moving side of things arrives with the muscular roll and tumble of the Edge's Zep-inspired riffs on "Stand Up Comedy," Bono's skyscraping proclamations of his pied piper birthright on the pleasantly retro "Magnificent," and the majestic organ bray of "Unknown Caller."

Other excursions don't fare as well, such as the strange mishmash of hipster patter, lurching beats, and crashing guitars creakily hitched to an arena rock framework on "Breathe." And Bono still gets annoying-goofy as opposed to fun-goofy in places: "You can hear the universe in her sea shells" he warbles on the title track. But what flops here tends to be more interesting than previous failures on the band's more calculated efforts. Even when the album threatens to float away, Bono's endearing vulnerability keeps the songs anchored.

Whether the horizon holds hope or threat, or more likely a mixture of both, it's a comfort to know that U2 is still looking forward.

Another for MC...3/4?

U2's Nuanced 'New 'Horizon' Takes Some Getting Used To But Worth The Effort

By ERIC R. DANTON

The Hartford Courant

March 3, 2009

Avid fans will find plenty to love about U2's new album: the brash, clanging guitar parts on "Magnificent," say, or the anthemic refrain on "I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight," which seems built to echo across stadium-size crowds.

Novice listeners may want to start elsewhere.

"No Line on the Horizon" (Interscope) is a considered and nuanced work with significant depth beneath the dense, sometimes thorny exterior. Getting there, though, requires some work. The band's 12th studio album is not as easily accessible as some of its earlier efforts, and though the songs are of a piece thematically, musing on inter-connectivity and the quickening pace of a shrinking world, the Irish foursome explores a wide sonic palette.

The lead single "Get On Your Boots" is one of the speediest songs the band has recorded, with a bass line pulsing underneath tightly coiled fuzz-tone guitar. The Edge plays a brawny hard-rock guitar riff, while Bono warns against "small men with big ideas" on "Stand Up Comedy," which contrasts with the subtly textured atmospherics (courtesy of producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois) on the traditional number "White as Snow."

Bono alternates between playful and soulful, peeling off wry one-liners on "I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" and letting his voice ring with stately passion on the majestic "Moment of Surrender." He pushes his voice into falsetto on the churning title track and sings with quiet, conversational understatement on "Cedars of Lebanon," the album closer.

It's not the easiest album to digest on first listen, or second. Ultimately, though, "No Line on the Horizon" is worth the extra effort it takes to dig in.

>>Essential download: "Moment of Surrender"

Copyright © 2009, The Hartford Courant

Has the Blender review been posted? I know we've all heard that it was a five star rating.

Anyway, here it is (apologies if it's already here somewhere):

Rob's great- see? This is a review that describes the RECORD, not just emotive pining about the band.

I really hate the direction criticism of contemporary music is going- if it ain't famous, it's flawless. If the band has sold more than 20m records, take cover!!!

No Hope For U2 On Horizon

I just HATE titles like that. They make it seem as if all hope is lost for U2. It's pathetic.
I'm actually getting tired of all the NLOTH puns, though they were to be expected.
I think I'm really developing a strong dislike for music journalists these days ... actually more than before.
If only they concentrated on the music and not on making pathetic, sensationalist headlines or cheap jokes about the band.

I saw many more positive reviews that weren't posted here in this thread.

Here's the dotmusic review that helped to lower their score on metacritic. These guys and their website hate U2 with a passion. Although there are some well founded or well argued negative reviews out there, there are also those that can be equated to downright sabotage that are born of a hatred of bono and this is definitely one of them.

U2 - No Line On The Horizon
(Monday March 2, 2009 4:58 PM )

Released on 02/03/09
Label: Mercury

Presently occupying the position of World's Most Equally Loved and Loathed Band, it's easy to forget that U2 once pulled off a feat few ever achieve; completely reinventing themselves whilst winning over critics and bolstering an already vast fanbase. "Achtung Baby", "Zooropa" and the accompanying eye-popping tours represented the most fertile creative period of their career and for a while they seemed untouchable; straddling the globe like leather-clad, future-proofed, art-rockers, disposing of war and poverty along the way and doing it all with a smug swagger that showed they were clearly relishing their new found, hard won relevance.

For critics and fans alike though "Pop" was a step too far. Lurid, tacky and clutching desperately for modern impact and after a rethink, they duly retreated to the conservatism of "All That You Can't Leave Behind" and "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb". "No Line On The Horizon"'s lead single "Get On Your Boots", then is a somewhat portentous trailer, its fuzzy bass, funky drums and trashy sentiment revisiting the ill-advised crossover efforts of "Pop". It's a ghastly mish-mash of ideas, the tune itself utterly forgettable and all told, about as groovy as your dad pissed and trying to moonwalk. And ten times as embarrassing to boot.

The rest of the album isn't quite so throwaway but repeatedly misfires nonetheless. "Stand Up Comedy" goes for a kind of funk rock Led Zeppelin meets Red Hot Chili Peppers thing but labours under a lousy riff straight out of '101 Easy Rock Licks'. It also suffers - as do "Breathe" and "Unknown Caller" (complete with toe-curling, heave-ho, buzzword chorus) from an excess of Bono's overcooked half sung/spoken vocals. Elsewhere, when he's not scatting or clumsily free associating, he's over emoting, yelping at the farthest reaches of his register with self-parodical "Whoas" and "Ohs". "Moment Of Surrender" starts promisingly enough, some softly clicking precision assembled loops teeing up what sounds like a graceful ballad a la "One", only for Bono to tear into the verse, as crass as a Crazy Frog ringtone at a funeral before screeching across the sweetest of harmonies in its chorus.

It's not entirely awful though. Brian Eno's intricate production rewards over repeated listens and "Magnificent" is so vintage U2 that it's impossible not to picture Bono sprinting through a stadium belting out its strident, euphoric chorus, while Edge's unmistakable, chiming guitar rings ad infinitum behind him. Whether or not this image appeals depends of course on which of the two camps you fall into. For the lovers, this patchy album offering moderate advance on its immediate predecessors will probably suffice. But in truth it's an unmitigated failure to reconcile the sound of their past with a cohesive vision of their future - effectively another fudged clasp at relevance, which as they approach the twilight of their career makes for a frequently excruciating listen.

(5 stars out of 10) by Jim Brackpool

Back
Top Bottom