NLOTH Album Reviews - Professional / Web / Mag Reviews ONLY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guys, let's just discount the AMG review quickly should we?

allmusic ((( Paris > Review )))

The guys obviously has crap taste

:doh: Seriously? They let this guy review a U2 album? For crying out loud.

I think I'm gonna start collecting all the [good] reviews and put them on my wall ...:drool: 5 stars from Blender, Q, RS. Hellz yea. Really all the major publications love it... 4 stars from Uncut and Mojo. A- from EW. Lukewarm I guess from NME and Spin, but definitely not bad. Only Time has slammed it so far, no?

You know those Mountain Dew commercials with the facts or whatever? There should be one about U2. And it should be, like, Fact: U2 > You.

U2: No Line On The Horizon - Glide Magazine

U2
No Line On The Horizon
By Doug Collette

4.5/5

No Line on the Horizon may be the best of the latter day U2 albums. It’s a logical progression from How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb and All that You Can’t Leave Behind in that the group isn’t afraid to draw upon its past to gather inspiration for the new music.

Bono’s wordless wail on the title song can’t help but recall their earliest work on Boy and October. The effect is eerily similar, a la War, as his voice plays off the distant echoes of piano on “FE Z- Being Born.” The topicality of the latter album also comes to the fore in “Cedars of Lebanon,” as there’s no pontificating here but rather the sound of a single man bemoaning a culture gone awry. The angst in the singing permeates the spare but ghostly arrangement, produced, like most of the album by Danny Lanois in conjunction with Brian Eno (Steve Lillywhite, U2’s earliest producer, provides assistance on a pair of tracks).

There’s more obvious hearkening to former glory and style on “Magnificent.” Sounding like nothing so much as an outtake from The Joshua Tree, the familiar sound of The Edge’s sharp chiming guitar gives way to an abrasive solo rather than grandiose anthemizing. That melodramatic phenomenon is similarly (and narrowly) escaped on “I‘ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight,” by which time it’s obvious this is one of, if not the best sounding, of U2’s albums: the mammoth size of the sound, together with the clarity that separates the individual instruments in the mix, begs to be played loud.

“Unknown Caller” certainly sounds best that way as great sheets of guitar wash over the booming drums of Larry Mullen and Adam Clayton’s bass. Meanwhile Bono exalts the human side of himself in conflict with the impersonality of technology. French horn is as appropriate a touch here as the single cello on “Moment of Surrender;” the stark timbre of those instruments stands as an aural corollary to the black and white photography of Anton Corbijn’s that adorns this package.

By the middle of the album, U2 sidestep the potential danger of playing it safe, even if a couple tracks may qualify as throwaways. With its kitschy keyboard electronics, “Get On Your Boots” nevertheless sounds wholly different in the context of the album, rather than as an individual track released as a single. On “Let Me In The Sound,” Bono pleads there and rightly so, just before a gigantic guitar riff, which arguably has no precedent in the group’s discography, appears in the form of the foundation for “Standup Comedy.”

It’s a tribute to U2’s bond as a band that they manage to sidestep their celebrity status and non-musical public persona, at least when they’re in the studio. On the child-like balladry of “White As Snow,” and virtually all the rest of No Line on the Horizon, these four Irishmen sound as human as the rest of us.

U2, "No Line on the Horizon" Review | Patrol Magazine

U2
No Line on the Horizon
Rating: 8.4/10
Universal, 2009

U2 digs in, adding nuance and redefinition to nearly forty years of work.
By Nathan Martin

IT’S HARD to write an ending chapter when you didn’t write the beginning.

Try to drop into the story, the myth, the legend of U2 and it always feels like you need some type of preface before beginning, some recitation of your knowledge and justification for why you have the right to contribute anything to this ongoing saga. The love and hatred directed towards the foursome from Dublin leaves little room for the lukewarm, toe-dipping writer. If Paul decided to mail a new apostolic letter every few years, it might come close to the type of response greeting a new album from the band. You either believe in Bono, or you don’t.

It’s dangerous to talk U2 with non-believers. If you’re not careful, you’ll end up on a Saturday night, sitting on a couch, surrounded by allergen-activating cats and far too intelligent people, arguing the merits of this album with a person who simultaneously compares Bono to Oprah and finds inspiration in the glistening dome that is Michael Stipe. Things can get weird fast.

U2’s twelfth studio release—really a joint offering from the Big Four and their longtime production wizards Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois—shouldn’t be neither worshiped or dismissed lightly. There is nothing new under the musical sun, but while No Line under the Horizon is hardly on the cusp of the next wave of a musical revolution, it does provide a fitting and profoundly satisfying continuance to the band’s ongoing “search to be the next big thing.”

This is no All that You Can’t Leave Behind or How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, and appreciating what the most pompous band in the world is trying to do here requires more than a cursory knowledge of their older breakthroughs Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree. This album is less about pushing music forward than it is about digging in, adding nuance and redefinition to nearly forty years of work. No Line fills in musical gaps separating the be-mulleted, gospel-preaching, synth-heavy early days from the muscle-suit wearing, existence-questioning, arena spectacle that followed. Think The Unforgettable Fire meets Zoo TV meets Pop. The musical texture and lyrical voice common on the last two U2 expeditions is noticeably absent, allowing a darker beauty to emerge for the patient listener.

The title track opens with a muscular wave of guitars that’s finally broken by Bono, rasping and yodeling through a story about a “girl like the sea” and an overwhelming desire to escape. A piano-spiked chorus echoes the yearning, cutting through the earthy verses: “no, no line on the horizon!” But there’s something left off—something that still leaves you longing for something a bit more, a bit deeper, a bit fuller.

And so it comes.

It hits with the thumping, the slow “rawr” of the guitar and the gradual building of the musical canvas that finally explodes when “Magnificent” opens into a song that’s unmistakably U2 but nothing like the last nineteen years. Outside of the kick, there’s nothing uncommon about the drum line. Mullen’s standard undertones are there, and Clayton blends his bass line for a relaxed-journey tone that never sacrifices urgency. The Edge soars through a series of riffs, climaxing in a stunningly graceful solo that seems to mimic Bono’s vocals. Lyrically, the song feels like a throwback to “Gloria” days, its joyous unmasked spirituality declaring, “Justified till we die/You and I will magnify/Oh, the magnificent.” Then the bluesy seven-minute-plus “Moment of Surrender” follows, complete with a dark piano-laden canvass, a mournful solo and Bono’s beatific vision of himself as, “just an average guy”: “I did not notice the passers-by/And they did not notice me.”

The music is gorgeous, the vocals piercing, and the chorus is anthem-prepped, but “Moment of Surrender” suffers from the biggest problem hanging throughout No Line—lyrical confusion. Bono seems to have something obstructing his vision and impairing his ability to write transparent and identifiable stories. Whether it’s the pseudo-militaristic “women of the future” (“Get on Your Boots”) or St. John the Divine on the line (“Breathe”), he doesn’t manage to recreate his subjects as three-dimensional being with real emotions. He writes from inside his own world of recording in Fez, Morocco, and, while he may be seeking to hash out his own existential issues, his poetic structure is either too personally self-referential (“Breathe”), or it devolves into a stream of off-the-cuff platitudes and T-shirt catch-phrases (“I’ll Go Crazy if I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight”).

But keep going, and the strengths start to overshadow. U2’s willingness to stretch their songs past the standard three and a half-minute, radio-ready format showcases their ability to create delicate textures and layers like no other band in the world. “Unknown Caller,” which builds in a series of movements, is simultaneously a protest anthem, a brawny rock song, and a swirling orchestral experience. It’s meant to be chanted by 20,000 arena-packed worshipers, but perfect for quiet headphone-clasped nights.

Tucked in after the middle of the album is the riveting “Fez – Being Born,” which opens with an ambient montage reminiscent of something you would hear at a Zoo TV-era U2 show. But instead of kicking into “Zoo Station,” when the music winds up and distorts, a haunting Unforgettable Fire guitar lick dances into the space that the opening ambience hollowed out. No song better illustrates the influence that recording in Morocco had upon the band, and the slow piano drips through the Edge’s heavy distortion and Mullen’s terse rhythm.

“White as Snow” reads as a slow confessional, drawing its melody and syncopated progression from the Latin hymn “O Come, O Come Emmanuel.” Bono mourns, “If only a heart could be as white as snow.” It’s a vulnerable, shades-removing moment, leading into the jarring, Dylan-esque, speak-singing, “Breathe.” Neither “I’ll Go Crazy if I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight” or “Get on Your Boots”—nods to U2 in the 2000s—deserve to be over scrutinized or dissected, but both possess a musical complexity and that sends sometimes trite pronouncements screaming through your speakers and into your subconscious.

“Cedars of Lebanon” concludes the album with a startlingly unfinished, rambling visit through Bono’s head. “I have your face here in an old Polaroid/Tidying the children’s clothes and toys/You’re smiling back at me.” It’s dark and depressing, but it feels like Bono at the most vulnerable, the most open and the most incomplete

And there it ends.

Bono has this line that he likes to drop in the live shows, about how they like to take the best parts of the past and bring them out with the present. No Line on the Horizon is about U2 fusing the best unexplored parts of their past—namely the stunning canvasses of The Unforgettable Fire and the brashness of Boy—with their present musical and spiritual journey. It’s a tapestry of musical colors that rewards patience, forcing you to turn the music up to eleven, pull the headphones tight, and try desperately to catch every layer. This is not disposable mass-produced music; it’s something deeper, something that you can’t find in the blog band of the week. It’s not perfect, but it’s worth arguing about, because it’s something worth believing in.

Nathan Martin is Patrol’s Washington, D.C. music editor and deputy entertainment editor for the Washington Post Express.

What bugs me about the NME review is that while complaining about silly lyrics, he cites that NLOTH is silly because the song is from the pov of a traffic cop and then he says it's lame for Bono to use the line "I'm a traffic cop." Um, at what point has it ever been said that NLOTH is about a traffic cop? Somebody fill me in if I'm wrong here.

Secondly, how is it a problem for the lyrics in Cedars to mention headlines and deadlines if the character is a reporter? It's not like he says "I'm a war correspondent" and he doesn't mention headline just to point out that it's his job. The key to the lyric is "SQUEEZING COMPLICATED LIVES INTO A SIMPLE headline."

That's the stuff that annoys me. It's almost like they purposely miss that kind of stuff to find little digs because they just can't bring themselves to say "hey, U2 just made an album I like even though part of my job is to act snobish towards anything popular."

This one will go to the Metacritic score:

6/10

U2: No Line on the Horizon < Music | PopMatters

Actually not a terrible review in that it's fairly in-depth and seemed to at least give the album an honest chance. Plus they mostly had their research right until...

“Stand Up Comedy”, a tired guitar number that could easily be mistaken as a Zooropa-era B-side.

Zooropa? SUC? Really?

also

the truth of the matter is that no one will be singing “FEZ-Born Again” or the drab “White As Snow” from memory five years from now.

Born Again? :wink: and I can say with complete confidence that I will be singing both of those songs from memory five years from now, although I'm pretty sure Fez wasn't written to be a sing-along.

Aside from the nitpicky stuff, my main problem with this review is I simply don't agree. It says there's no coherent theme, but I think most people here would argue otherwise. I believe it was Utoo who made a thread analyzing the main ideas behind NLOTH, which I think were being lost and being reborn. Sort of like the dark/light thing. Rebirth is DEFINITELY a big theme in this album. There may be more subtle themes but I think that's a hard one to miss ... i mean for crying out loud there's a song called Being Born (which ironically the reviewer calls Born Again, yet fails to see that as an album theme). It's all over the lyrics ... "Everyday I die again and again I'm reborn" "I give you back my voice from the womb" "Restart and reboot yourself" etc ...

:doh: Seriously? They let this guy review a U2 album? For crying out loud.

I think I'm gonna start collecting all the [good] reviews and put them on my wall ...:drool: 5 stars from Blender, Q, RS. Hellz yea. Really all the major publications love it... 4 stars from Uncut and Mojo. A- from EW. Lukewarm I guess from NME and Spin, but definitely not bad. Only Time has slammed it so far, no?

You know those Mountain Dew commercials with the facts or whatever? There should be one about U2. And it should be, like, Fact: U2 > You.

This reviewer used to be cool and fair... I check out allmusic A LOT... and I notice sometimes editors do rewrites and new ratings at any given later time.

But anyhoo, this guy and some others are just cranks.

There are mostly positive reviews and even the not so positive ones are fairly balanced, so we shouldn't be worried at all.

It all really depends on the taste of the reviewer and what U2 era they like.

I saw a short feature on German TV late last night, they liked the new album but basically said U2 were great in the 80s and they discarded all their 90s work by saying: SADLY, U2 decided to go into experimentation after The Joshua Tree, BUT we are glad to say the old U2 are back on the new record. :doh:

the pitchfork review:

Why U2? How did these four Irishmen become the blueprint for every band with stadium aspirations? The Edge's churchly guitar chime-- which thrives on the same arena acoustics that can turn otherwise booming bands into mud-- is certainly a factor. So is their weakness for the big gesture-- whether it be a giant lemon, heart, or mouth. And Bono's cathartic mix of modern panacea-- love, God, mass culture-- gives them a reach to the back row and beyond. But, perhaps above all else, the band's restlessness and willingness to challenge both themselves and their patrons is why the Killers, Kanye West, and Coldplay want to be the next U2 and not the next AC/DC. It's why these four Irishmen still represent the punk spirit decades after they emerged from it.

"You've got to balance being relevant and commenting on something that's happening today with trying to attain timelessness," philosophized the Edge in the early 1990s. The quote sounds like rock star bullshit...until you realize that's pretty much what U2 did for 20 years. From 1980 to 2000, it was difficult to tell exactly what the next U2 album would sound like. Briefly: They added atmosphere to new wave, looked for God and found hits, exhumed their rock'n'roll heroes, sent-up those same heroes while losing their religion, and punctured pop via mutated techno. Each move was more audacious than the last-- even 1997 knee-jerk victim Pop saw the world-beating act taking completely unnecessary musical and financial risks in the name of Warholian post-modern pastiche. They then also managed to surprise on 2000's All That You Can't Leave Behind by successfully returning to form after shrugging off the notion for so many years. But 2004's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb and its subsequent tour were troubling.

That record saw four guys famous for dabbing classic rock into all sorts of impressionistic frames (or dismantling it entirely via Village People costumes) uncomfortably grasping for old-fashioned riffs, when they weren't mindlessly feasting on their own past. It was completely predictable ("City of Blinding Lights"), canned ("Vertigo"), and depressingly Sting-like ("A Man and a Woman"). But the group did little to hide the fact that they were basking their early-century comeback's afterglow; in concert, in place of the ATYCLB tour's heart-shaped runway was a, um, circle-shaped runway. Still self-aware enough to sense stagnation, the quartet began to work on what would become No Line on the Horizon with new producer Rick Rubin and an imperative to break all those piling U2 trappings once again. As Bono told The New York Times this week: "When you become a comfortable, reliable friend, I'm not sure that's the place for rock'n'roll."

Sixteen years ago, U2 worked a snippet of Public Enemy's "Don't Believe the Hype" into their technologically prescient Zoo TV tour-- perhaps fans should heed that bit of sampled advice right about now. Because while this group of slick talkers may have set out to expand their own definition once more, they've ended up with old collaborators Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois --along with an album that's neither relevant nor timeless.

First single "Get on Your Boots" is a worrisome harbinger-- to call it a mess would be generous. The song combines sub-Audioslave riffs with Escape Club's "Wild Wild West" and sounds more disjointed than the worst Girl Talk rip off. "I don't wanna talk about wars between nations-- not right now!" claims Bono on the song, before extolling the virtues of tight leather boots. His off-the-cuff attitude and delivery suggests a cheekiness missing from U2's music for more than a decade, but it's a red herring. While other tracks like "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" and "Stand Up Comedy" feature knowing lines that examine the singer's faults and hypocrisy, the album is heavy on half-assed word-salad characterizations and the sort of meaningless platitudes Bono used to be so great at (barely) avoiding. And there's a strong theme of resignation running through the record; whereas many classic U2 tracks have come from Bono's struggle with faith and certainty, he seems content to give up agency on songs like "Moment of Surrender" and "Unknown Caller". "I've found grace inside a sound," he sings on "Breathe", and the line seems like a cop-out from a man who spent so much time struggling with salvation.

Meanwhile, the album's ballyhooed experimentation is either terribly misguided or hidden underneath a wash of shameless U2-isms (the three-note ring Edge nicks from "Walk On" for "Unknown Caller", the "oh oh oh" outro from "Stay" apparently copied and pasted into "Moment of Surrender", etc.). While Eno used to work his unique sound-bobbles and ambiance into the fabric of U2 songs, he seems content to offer spacey intros totally disassociated from their accompanying tunes here (see: "Fez - Being Born", "Magnificent"). And oftentimes the band mistakes risk-taking for ill-fated arrangements decisions. "Surrender"-- reportedly improvised in one seven-minute take-- comes across as
lazy indulgence, and the title track's hard-nosed verse is torpedoed by its deflating fart of a hook. As the go-to sonic innovator of the group, the Edge dials in a particularly dispiriting performance throughout; his rare solos usually pack in enough panache to fill stadiums but his bluesy blah of a spotlight on "Surrender" would barely satisfy a single earbud.

"It keeps getting harder. You're playing against yourself and you don't want to lose," Adam Clayton told Q last month. And he's got a point. After nearly 30 years of chart crashing and sell-outs, starting afresh can't be easy. There's only one "One". In a way, U2 spoiled their followers by consistently questioning themselves while writing songs that straddled the personal and collective consciousness. But Horizon is clearly playing not to lose-- it's a defensive gesture, and a rather pitiful one at that.

Oh that's a big let down - I at least expected a reasonably considered and balanced review from Pitchfork this time around. Instead it's a laughable hack job that reads more like a 0.5 out of ten than even 4.2...

Oh and it's pretty much complete pseudo-intellectual bullshit too... Oh of course it is, this is Pitchfork after all...

Shame on them.

Wow, that pitchfork guy is pathetic, that wasn't even a review. I don't mind negative reviews, they serve as a good balance from the positive ones, that was just plain stupid.

The pitchfork review score looks like its trying to counterbalance all of the positive review scores that will end up on metacritic.

Honestly, I haven't expected anything else from Pitchfork.
They hate U2, it's obvious in that crap article, it can hardly be considered a "review":

Well that's hugely disappointing. I expected with the fairly positive things they have been saying about U2 lately in snippets (that GOYB isn't bad, that U2 are obviously trying), that this review would have been better. It would have been a big deal if U2 got a good review from Pitchfork, but it's not surprising that they didn't.

From this review it's like they saw all the positive reviews coming in from Rolling Stone, the LA Times, USA Today, People, Entertainment Weekly, Q, Mojo, Uncut, Blender, NME, and thought "Oh shit! We can't go along with the crowd! We've got to be hip and say this album sucks so we are different!" Sadly, this will only encourage all the idiots in the internets who like to go around to music rating websites and troll U2 albums. You know, the ones who drop a 0.5/5 star review and leave an explanation like "ketchup."

:|

^I couldn't care less.

I've read so many decent reviews and really surprisingly positive reviews from sources I really didn't expect to say something positive about the band that I really think we shouldn't get so worked up about some negative reviews. I didn't even know Pitchfork before I came to this site, I discovered that they obviously don't like U2, so what.

well there is one thing that I see in Pitchfork review that I tend to see in many other magazines and web reviews....
a lot of them are too "cool" to respect and love U2....and very often they will give, and they gave, bed reviews to U2 records in past, and were very often complete U2 bashers...
And here I see interesting thing - they bash them today, but in future they will talk about them and about their past work as something positive and commendable...This guy writes this review as U2 did nothing wrong ever before (except Bomb), and it seems that he respects them, that he sees them as a inovative and challenging band... yet they will never proclaim the new record as such..it will happen only in retrospect

and it's funny to see him praising ATYCLB and bashing HTDAAM, and pitchfork gave much better grade to the bomb, and only 5.0 to ATYCLB :)

The Pitchfork review is unfortunate. I was hoping for a higher score because their coverage of U2 has been fairly positive lately. They reviewed all the reissues very high, and they even seemed to like "Boots" somewhat.

I know the review is just one opinion of many. But Pitchfork, along with AllMusic have a lot of influence among music fans. (Certainly more than Rolling Stone and Entertainment Weekly.)

A good review from pitchfork would of been enough to make this album appear "cool" in a lot of people's eyes but now that won't happen. I can't believe pitchfork gave it worse than the Bomb

wow \- well even the thre major reviews (uncut, Q and Mojo)- can't agree on the key tracks,

Yeah that is a quite odd, don't think that's ever happened before where one reviewer loves a particular track and another thinks it's the worse one.

I think NLOTH will only be properly understood many years later.

The scum at Pitchfork cut down the tall poppy as they always do. Commercial success and mainstream appeal, ooh what a sin!

If U2 were called Radiohead, the album would have recieved a 9 at the very minimum.

The scum at Pitchfork cut down the tall poppy as they always do. Commercial success and mainstream appeal, ooh what a sin!

If U2 were called Radiohead, the album would have recieved a 9 at the very minimum.

Pitchfork gave Bomb 6.9 and gave the remasters all high ratings

They obviously don't hate U2, just this album :shrug:

That p4k review...wow. I wasn't expecting it to get a high grade, but I thought for sure it would be somewhere in the 6's.

4.2? That's brutal. And wildly off the mark.

Fuck 'em.

OK, then why couldn't they let someone write the review who actually likes the album or could at least write a decent review, not a piece of crap like that article?

Reviews are so over-rated. I've read reviews from certain magazines that were written by two different critics, one who liked the album and praised it, one who didn't like it and slammed it. Now go figure, you can chose whatever you like.

Their assessment of U2 in general is pretty much bang on and there's nothing wrong about the NLOTH details they point out. The difference is that it didn't work/wasn't enough for the reviewer and it was for most of us. It's a fair judgement given a solid argument. No big deal. I hope for more from U2 too and the Vertigo Chicago gig is on tv here now so I certainly still have the fear of what could happen to them, difference is, NLOTH was enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom