NLOTH 3rd on your list=3rd master piece?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

icebergy

The Fly
to me the general consensus is that JT and AB are considered the 2 masterpieces. after this people generally rate either TUF/Zooropa/Atuclb/Pop as third on their list. Now that the new album is out there is alot of talk of it being their third masterpiece, but would ranking it 3rd in their cataloge guarantee it as a third masterpiece or possibly just a very strong piece of music?

My top three right now

1 AB
2 JT/NLOTH tie

For me its:

1: Zooropa
2: NLOTH/Achtung Baby

JT is pretty far down my personal list although I fully recognize it's importance in the U2 canon... And I think Zooropa could end up being displaced from the top spot by NLOTH... :reject:

I guess I would consider it a masterpiece. But I guess it needs more time so we can say that for sure.

I don't think something as a 'personal' masterpiece exists
something's a masterpiece when after the tour is done and life is back to normal the general concensus is that it's among the greatest albums ever

for me personally the question at the moment is not so much whether NLOTH is one of my favourite U2 albums but whether it might turn out to be my favourite album ever from anyone

Currently NLOTH has created a new "sub-masterpiece" level beneath my top 3 but in a higher grouping than the others.

1. Achtung Baby
2. Pop
3. The Joshua Tree
=====
4. No Line On The Horizon
=====
5. War
6. Zooropa
7. The Unforgettable Fire
8. All That You Can't Leave Behind
9. Boy
=====
10. October
11. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
=====
12. Rattle and Hum

Here were my Top 4 before NLOTH came into the picture....

1) Achtung Baby
2) The Joshua Tree
3) All That You Can't Leave Behind
4) Zooropa

I'm thinking ATYCLB and Zooropa need to take a step down. No Line on the Horizon is, IMO, U2's 3rd masterpiece. I honestly did not expect this... for some reason it just seems like U2 "got lucky" with this one and hit it out of the park and we'll never hear something this good from them again. I am just *very* impressed :yes:

Too early to tell but I can tell it IS very different and somewhat a new and fresh direction for them. Whether its gooing to be an actual masterpeice will depend on many factors such as sales, popularity, how they are played live etc. at the moment I would consider it in 2nd or third place. To me it is above JT buit although I love JT it was never on my top 2. Again for me personaly I will have to listen to it for about a year or two and see how the songs age but it surely has the potential of being a 3rd masterpeice. As of now I think this album is simply incredible!:up:

PS: AB is my #1 but I don't think this can top it and given that AB is my #1 album of any artist I was never expecting this album to top it but who knows if in 10-20 years I look back and enjoy the album as much as I enjoy AB now then it could surpass it but doubtful.

As of right now - and this can change over time...

1) Achtung Baby
2) The Joshua Tree
3) NLOTH / Pop
4) Unforgettable Fire
5) War

Not quite sure where it stands in terms of being greater than Pop yet, but unlike on Pop, I like every track on this record, while I still skip Mimai every time I get to it.

Achtung Baby
The Joshua Tree
All That You Can't Leave Behind
No Line On The Horizon
Zooropa
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
POP
Rattle And Hum
War
The Unforgettable Fire
Boy
October

NLOTH is their 4th masterpiece IMO.
1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. No Line On The Horizon
-------
others

Yeah I'm not much into ranking but I did it recently so after 5 days I'll try and put the album in some short term perspective.

Pop
Achtung Baby
No Line On The Horizon
All That You Cant Leave Behind
The Unforgettable Fire
War
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
The Joshua Tree
Zooropa
Boy
Rattle And Hum
October

Got to agree

Have to agree with the last comment

My list

1. The Joshua Tree
2. The Unforgettable Fire (underated - nothing sounded like it in 1984)
3. Achtung Baby (mind you nothing sounded like this either)
4. No Line on Horizon = 4th Master piece (these songs are still growing on me quickly, like Fez and White as Snow)

I am so passionate about the top 3 albums its always going to be hard to shift them - they are the soundtrack to my life from the age of 13.

No Line is an awsome album!

Back
Top Bottom