NLOTH 2 (song) General Discussion + lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think of NLOTH 2 (B-Side)?

• Total voters
For some reason the vocals in NLOTH 2 sound nothing like Bono's voice. :ohmy:

I really do not understand why people are saying that. This is TOTALLY Bono. If I didn't know it's a U2 song I would recognise his voice nonetheless.

It just occurred to me this morning that the story about the traffic cop is basically the story of Tripoli.

I like the song, but the b-side version is crap.

How do I know the original will be great though? Just think of the b-side but slowed down. The b-side sounded so artificially sped up.
So the album version will be slowed down? And less rock then this one?

Hmm not sure im liking the sound of that.

Have you listened to Boy?

I think its just a case of Bono listening to some of the U2-influenced bands copying his old singing style and being influenced by that.

Weird thing is Bono hates his old singing voice, he says he can't even listen to their first three albums because he sounds like a girl with a mullet

Changes of heart maybe?

I caved...I agree with whoever said this doesn't sound like Bono.

Boots was the sound of U2 revisiting it Pop self, this is U2 going back to Achtung days (Lady with the spinning head). Not too keen on the chorus and they need to work on the second verse lyrics - and I could do without the "oooh oooh"s. Enjoy the verse. Also I hope they choose a less punishing vocal for Bono on the album.

Better than Boots, good song.

:confused: So this is the punk, 150 bpm version they did in London ?

Wish this had been the single instead of Boots.

I caved...I agree with whoever said this doesn't sound like Bono.

that was the first thing i thought too when i heard it on the radio, but after a few listenings it sounds like him again now haha

it nice to hear him trying out new things, he always been pretty versatile as a singer i reckon

Weird thing is Bono hates his old singing voice, he says he can't even listen to their first three albums because he sounds like a girl with a mullet

Bono said that himself?
Yay, I finally have proof that his early 80s singing (nay caterwauling) was crap.

Can't stand half the songs on Boy because of it.

Don't you all know your singer? That's 100% Bono.

".

It doesn't sound like Bono if you don't expect to hear Bono.

I came in late on the radio feed, but I did hear NLOTH2 the second time. I thought they quit the U2 hour and played a different band.

When is the last time you've heard Bono sing this high? Which songs?

I'd say RHMT comes close, but it's not the same.

One thing is for sure, Bono's voice sounds NOTHING like it did on Bomb, it's way better than that. It sounds like he quit smoking for good and finally does some vocal chord excercises.

Bono said that himself?
Yay, I finally have proof that his early 80s singing (nay caterwauling) was crap.

Can't stand half the songs on Boy because of it.

Yes he did. In a couple of interviews and U2 by U2.

Also said that "Boy is a great debut album, pity it's ruined by a singer with a fake British accent."

^ Strange, because I would have recognised Bono. I'm used to hear him singing in different styles. When I hear his voice I know it's him, no matter how he sings. It's the way he pronounces things, just his characteristic way of singing. It's not like his voice has been altered electronically or something. It really never occurred to me that the singing NLOTH 2 doesn't sound like him.

It sounds like Bono is sometimes singing ever slightly off key in the verses of NLOTH 2... but perhaps he isn't actually. I'll explain...I think all the effects, Adam's undulating bassline & Edge's downward pitch bends are F#ing up my ears' initial key reference (if you know what I'm getting at). Otherwise I like the rest of this just fine. I'll prob. like the album mix better. Anyone think it started off like The Macarena?!
GOYB sounds so much better on disc than mp3!

Back
Top Bottom