NLOTH 2 (song) General Discussion + lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think of NLOTH 2 (B-Side)?

• Total voters
separator.gif
I love this version thus far, but one thing I can't shake about it (and why I think they ultimately left this version off the album): the song doesn't seem to match the lyrics at all. Obviously that's totally subjective, but it just feels...wrong, somehow. As much as I like this version, I get the feeling the album version will be much better.

totally blown away by this song - amazing!!! I love the opening lyrics...I saw a previous post mentioning it could be talking about a woman - I agree, it makes me think of my own girlfriend.
and after listening to the 45 sec clips...wow...I love the beginning of Magnificent, although this was the clip I previously couldn't get into - "too U2ish" perhaps - but listening to the funky beginning then hearing it burst into classic Edge chiming is mind blowing - can't wait to hear the whole song
Loving them all except WAS and COL, those are my two "don't think too much about these yet must hear more to make my mind up" ones

Its strange to read many of the comments on here. Its a very subjective thing, so I understand that some people just won't like the song and that's obviously fine. Taking how good/bad you think it is, I thought that from the first listen of it, its the most fresh, exciting, vibrant I've heard the band in ages. There's a real energy about the performance which hasn't been there in many years IMO.

Not to mention the fact that they all sound like they're playing out of their skin and actually sound like they're having real fun which can only be a good thing IMO.

I agree - best for a long time

The song rocks! I liked it from the first time I listened and that's really something that doesn't happen very often.

The only issues I have are with the bridge - I like Bono's singing, but I wish he'd shut up with the oooohs during the bridge. And also the lyrical mishmash in verse 2, sounds very Bongolese, I cannot make out anything, but I guess the "real" lyrics will be on the album version.

Listening to the 45 sec clip again I have to say I cannot imagine how that version will turn into a "punk" version, but from several reviews it's clear that the song will have twists and turns and that there will be a good amount of Bono screaming on that version, too.

But NLOTH 2, phew, got me so excited, makes me want to dance. :dance:
It's funny because I absolutely love the oooohs at that bit - it lifts the song I think

its great even though I have only heard the same 30 secs of NLOTH u guys have I think it would be interesting if they had done the bonus track/itunes version and bookended the album with both NLOTH's. which version would fit where; we will have to wait and see when its released/leaked. It would certainly give the album a cohesive feel and a concept album style feeling.

I absolutely loved NLOTH2 from the first listen. Wasn't so sure about the oh-oh-oh-whoa on the first listen, but it really grew on me with the next couple of listens. It's so much better than Boots.

I'm kinda puzzled over their decision to release Boots as the first single. I think the general non-fan would pretty much hate it, and NLOTH would stand a much better chance of becoming a hit and generating new interest.

Do you think this was the original mix of NLOTH before the delay?

no, it seems they came up with this during the Olympic Sessions. the RS article seemed to imply that Bono and Edge had very recently worked it up. i had the impression that it would replace Eno's version

Seriously.. I love this song. Get on your boots was a 7/10 for me but I'd give this one an 8/10. 10/10 would be something like One.

Amazing song. Especially for a B-side. Probably one of the best b-sides in a while. I love the little tweek/choke/nod of the guitar The Edge does. Bono's vocals look inspired from The Killers. To be honest, the song could have easily been a Killer's or Arcade Fire song. That's no criticism though. It's a different sounding U2 song and the good thing is that I love it.

Bono's vocals are nice and heavy on this one. Not as light as they are on GOYB and the last two albums. Unlike with GOYB, all I want to do with this B-side is to keep on playing it. It is very rocktronica. I love it. Top notch effort by the lads once again.

Agreed?

This song has superglued itself into my brain. After just a couple of listens, I can't seem to get rid of it.

But it's fine, cause I love the song. It's fun and dirty. Though I enjoy Boots, I didn't get that urge to play it again and again like I do with NLOTH2 and other U2 songs I love.

It's not perfect, though. The chorus seems a bit underdeveloped, like it'd work better as backing vocals... I don't know, I'd just like to hear something more complex - and something that explains what this "no line on the horizon" actually has to do with the song. As it is, it sounds like a blatant insertion of the album title with no real meaning. Or, maybe it's so subtle and brilliant that it's beyond my understanding. :hmm:

I love all the little squigglies that some seem to have a problem with. But the ending, with that electronic distortion thing, sounds cheesy. I hope it's not there on the album version. The NO! LINE! is just barely acceptable, but I imagine it'll be fun to shout along.

by U2 yes.

I like the song though. curious to see how the album version will sound

So what do you think the best song of 2009 is so far?

My favorite lyric in NLOTH is:

Every night I have the same dream
I´m hatching some plot, scheming some scheme

Don't even know why. Just like it.

Wha? The single is out today? :reject: I thought it would be out next week.

Dang, now I missed my chance to buy it. Ah well, hopefully I'll finish in time monday, most likely not, then tuesday I guess.

The song is great, I really like it. Adam definately got basslessons and Larry's style is so, not larry! He's drumming with his whole kit again at last!

NLOTH2 should have been the first single.

It's got a damn cool experimental intro and the rest of it kicks ass melodically, lyrically and riff wise.

They could have done that and then had the softer NLOTH on the album which would have been genius...

separator.gif
I love this version thus far, but one thing I can't shake about it (and why I think they ultimately left this version off the album): the song doesn't seem to match the lyrics at all. Obviously that's totally subjective, but it just feels...wrong, somehow.
subjective as it might be, I agree 100% :up:

NLOTH2 should have been the first single.

It's got a damn cool experimental intro and the rest of it kicks ass melodically, lyrically and riff wise.

They could have done that and then had the softer NLOTH on the album which would have been genius...

Agreed. This would've been a great single, I wonder if the rest of the album is so awesome that this piece of brilliance is just a bside!

Back
Top Bottom