NLOTH 2 (song) General Discussion + lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think of NLOTH 2 (B-Side)?

• Total voters
Gave it another listen...gotta say...I like Boots a lot more. But, however, I do predict the album version is gonna rule my ass. This version is a little too one-note the whole way thru. My fave part of the album clip is the way the pulsating, technoish verses give way to a softer, lusher chorus before kicking back in again to the techno pulse. That's what this version's missing, that night and day, black and white, dynamic feel to it. Boots definitely has layers, and it's probably why i dig more. I did get used to Bono's vocals on No Line 2. Still slightly grating, but I'm used to it. I think it's a good rough draft.

Waaaaaaaaay better than Boots - hands down.
Lots of energy, music is good, production is solid.
It's a strong track, not their best, not their worst and still better than any band with 30 years under their belt.
I don't know how he is going to do these songs live, he'll be out of breath!

that's what i love about u2 fans: we're tough customers and have unbelievably diverse tastes. i thought boots was so-so, but i am digging nloth2 big time...and just as many of us think otherwise, which is great!

in a thread this long, this has probably already been mentioned, but did anyone else out there first think "the macarena" at 0:13 of nloth2? :p

Gave it another listen...gotta say...I like Boots a lot more. But, however, I do predict the album version is gonna rule my ass. This version is a little too one-note the whole way thru. My fave part of the album clip is the way the pulsating, technoish verses give way to a softer, lusher chorus before kicking back in again to the techno pulse. That's what this version's missing, that night and day, black and white, dynamic feel to it. Boots definitely has layers, and it's probably why i dig more. I did get used to Bono's vocals on No Line 2. Still slightly grating, but I'm used to it. I think it's a good rough draft.

I completely agree with this. The song feels entirely the same throughout and that's my main problem with it ... based on the 45 seconds we have the album version will be much better.

I'm surprised everyone's gone nuts over it, but hey, it's cool to see some people who haven't been too keen on U2's latest work excited now :up:

Seems to me the music on this record is definatly built for stadiums...hopefully full ones.

The woah woah stuff is typical of moroccan arabic sufi music. Love it.

i love it...but i want something more of an atmospheric beginning to start the cd in the same vein as WTSHNN, Zoo Station and Zooropa

The song rocks! I liked it from the first time I listened and that's really something that doesn't happen very often.

The only issues I have are with the bridge - I like Bono's singing, but I wish he'd shut up with the oooohs during the bridge. And also the lyrical mishmash in verse 2, sounds very Bongolese, I cannot make out anything, but I guess the "real" lyrics will be on the album version.

Listening to the 45 sec clip again I have to say I cannot imagine how that version will turn into a "punk" version, but from several reviews it's clear that the song will have twists and turns and that there will be a good amount of Bono screaming on that version, too.

But NLOTH 2, phew, got me so excited, makes me want to dance. :dance:

Interesting. I'm not picking on you in particular but I love how everyone bags on the last two albums because they sound derivative and now everyone is pissed because NLOTH 2 "doesn't sound like BonoJ." I fucking LOVE it.
I really dug Boots but this sounds even better.

Interesting. I'm not picking on you in particular but I love how everyone bags on the last two albums because they sound derivative and now everyone is pissed because NLOTH 2 "doesn't sound like BonoJ." I fucking LOVE it.
I really dug Boots but this sounds even better.

How does preferring Boots to this mean I like derivative U2? Take Bono's vocal sounds in Zoo Station, Lemon, Pride and If You Wear That Velvet Dress. All favorites of mine. Does he sound the same in those songs? Umm, I'd say thats a resounding hell no. I'm not crazy about his vocals in this song because he sounds like he's trying to hit notes he can't really pull off. Can he hit them? Sure, in another context or style of singing he probably could. But to me, here, it just sounds a bit straining. That is all. I don't mind the music at all actually.

They might lose some of the pop kids, but they don't need 'em. Buh-bye.
:wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

Bro, you're really barking up the wrong tree with this statement. Develop a little insight and maybe you'll understand why some people may have issues with this track. I'm looking forward to the more thoughtful, less "pop kids" version on the album. I think you might be a little confused here.

Its strange to read many of the comments on here. Its a very subjective thing, so I understand that some people just won't like the song and that's obviously fine. Taking how good/bad you think it is, I thought that from the first listen of it, its the most fresh, exciting, vibrant I've heard the band in ages. There's a real energy about the performance which hasn't been there in many years IMO.

Not to mention the fact that they all sound like they're playing out of their skin and actually sound like they're having real fun which can only be a good thing IMO.

first listening when it aired on the radio felt like a huge brick wall of sound had run into me!

intense or what!

i really like it

NLOTH will be played live because U2 are in Hanover Quay at the moment practicing the new songs. 3 guys from El Salvador were on the Colm and Jim Jim breakfast show this morning to tell the story about how principle management brought them to Hanover Quay to meet U2, they were in the studio for 2 hours and U2 played 2 songs live for them, one of which was No Line On The Horizon, Lucky Lucky Bas%^%S.

NLOTH will be played live because U2 are in Hanover Quay at the moment practicing the new songs. 3 guys from El Salvador were on the Colm and Jim Jim breakfast show this morning to tell the story about how principle management brought them to Hanover Quay to meet U2, they were in the studio for 2 hours and U2 played 2 songs live for them, one of which was No Line On The Horizon, Lucky Lucky Bas%^%S.

:ohmy:

I cannot wait. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom