Next record after NLOTH with Rick Rubin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ Can't see them working with Rubin further. Good producer, but not very U2. Works for bands like RHCP who are pretty formulaic, hit the studio with written songs and do it quickly.

As for the next album, they have stated in the past (after ATYCLB and HTDAAB) that they wanted to release the next album quickly, and they soon get side-tracked. This time may be different, but mid-tour seems premature to me.

Also, with pushing the single release back beyond conventional U2 standards either means less singles, or pushes releases further back, meaning it will take them longer to be done with the album and the songs off it. We've also heard quite a few songs mentioned as potential singles (GYBO, SU, NLOTH, Breathe, MOS).

I really don't think I know a lot of Rubin's work, execpt Stadium Arcadium by RHCP, which is a very good album. But I don't think that he would fit U2.
But I would really like to see U2 doing some work outside the Lillywhite/Eno/Lanois team. When they've tried, really great albuns showed up (Pop and R&H). I think U2 is getting too accomodated. Ok, never something that U2 did that came under these guys production (especially Eno/Lanois) is bad. Actually the normal is that something AMAZING shows up when this guys are producing, but I would like to see U2 trying with someone else. Not Rubin, but someone else.

Careful now... opinions, opinions, opinions.
I think, though, part of this "quick release" will be heavily dependent on how well NLOTH is received. If the album is a hit with several hit songs, then I think the likelihood of a quicker release might be higher. But if NLOTH has so-so sales or modest hit songs, then maybe U2 might want to stop and re-evaluate before rushing out another album. That said, both ATYCLB and HTDAAB were hit albums with hit songs, yet U2 still took their time. So??? :shrug:

I almost think the opposite would be true. If this album has life and is 5 singles deep, we will still be seeing new singles and videos well into 2010. For there to be any room for a quick follow up the next album would have to wait until late 2011 or 2012 so there is no overkill on U2. Besides, the band would probably spend that time touring areas of the world that don't register in the United States. U2 would have to make themselves available to the Western world to promote any new album.

I don't understand comparing Zooropa to HTDAAB at all. The former is a smaller work for U2 while the latter is a full album. It's like comparing a maestro's chamber works to his full orchestra compostions. I like Zooropa, but I cant compare it to any of their other work. So much of it makes it different. Yes, the album feels open ended, but purposely so. Most of the songs are open ended themselves. The lyrics touch on feelings and ideas, but are left to be vague impressions. None of the songs feel complete the way songs on other U2 albums do. The album is a state of mind work for the band. It's their dip into new sounds and structures so it's like their Ulysses while Passengers is the total deal and thus represents Finnegan's Wake.

I don't mind releasing Rick Rubin's work, but I do think they could release the songs under the direction of new producers. A Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois interpretation could be interesting and wouldn't feel like just a continuation of this new album. Eno and Lanois would be putting their touch on Rubin's beginnings and that could yeild interesting results. Besides, many U2 songs began with one producer and time period only to grow and change over the years with the help of another producer. That could be good here too.

I really don't think I know a lot of Rubin's work, execpt Stadium Arcadium by RHCP, which is a very good album. But I don't think that he would fit U2.
But I would really like to see U2 doing some work outside the Lillywhite/Eno/Lanois team. When they've tried, really great albuns showed up (Pop and R&H). I think U2 is getting too accomodated. Ok, never something that U2 did that came under these guys production (especially Eno/Lanois) is bad. Actually the normal is that something AMAZING shows up when this guys are producing, but I would like to see U2 trying with someone else. Not Rubin, but someone else.

I liked what Rubin did for J. Cash and (I think) Neil Diamond. Bring out the quality music and relevance again in agering artists.

While I like U2 stretching and not working with Eno/Lanois, the results just aren't as tight. War is probably the only non Eno/Lanois album that may be considered nearly great. I would like to see them try Nigel Godrich; I really liked what he did for the single version of Walk on.

Back
Top Bottom