Next record after NLOTH with Rick Rubin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There won't be a U2 album released before fall of 2012 (after this upcoming one of course). They will abandon the rest of the 50 songs from this session and move on to something new. Rubin won't be involved.

I really liked Window in the Skies, but I'm glad they didn't continue down that road or they would have just down a huge circle and ended up back where they were in 2000. Lets face it - Lanois and Eno have better chemistry with U2 that any other producer will ever have. They make amazing music together. Dabbling around with other producers is fun, but U2 have learnt everytime they've tried that no one else gets them over line like the dream team do.

Lets face it - Lanois and Eno have better chemistry with U2 that any other producer will ever have. They make amazing music together. Dabbling around with other producers is fun, but U2 have learnt everytime they've tried that no one else gets them over line like the dream team do.

Agreed. War was fantastic, but that was really their non-E/L shining moment. E & L, IMO, are really what took them to the highest level. Looking at the UF documentary on the Slane dvd, as well as other bits here and there, make me think that they really should've been getting songwriting credits all along.

Agreed. War was fantastic, but that was really their non-E/L shining moment. E & L, IMO, are really what took them to the highest level. Looking at the UF documentary on the Slane dvd, as well as other bits here and there, make me think that they really should've been getting songwriting credits all along.

War was fantastic, but I feel that that album was U2 culminating all their natural talent. Without Eno and Lanois they never would have known what they could really offer. I don't think they could have taken it to the next level without them. So I agree!

And about the song writing credits - ... I get that vibe as well. Both of them contribute a lot to the songs. But the great thing about their relationship with Eno in particular, is that when they approached him, they had to coax him out of attempted retirement! I love that! And now, over 20 years later, Eno is still carving up the music scene. And we have U2 to thank!

I hope the guys work with Rick again, and I think they will. The Rubin produced songs were put aside "out of deference." And Edge visited Rubin back in October to show off their new songs. So...

The first time I heard about Rick Rubin being in the mix, my first thought was "how the hell is that going to work? I had read a Time Magazine article about him and based on how he said he worked, in that article - I didn't see
U2's formula/style in there at all. I read some additional articles and still wonderd. It just didn't sound like a U2 fit. :hmm:

Yup. I think that they may take the Rubin material and use it in some form on a future album, but it's very clear from the Q & other interviews that Rubin's style of writing and U2's style of writing just don't mesh well.

:up:

I don't know if we will ever hear any of that music. What there is of it may very well never come to light. or has been re-worked/written.
Just my observation, of course. :wink:

Rubin's a recording facilitator, not a talented producer, and we've learned he doesn't jive with U2's style of working, really only their team of Lanois/Lillywhite/Eno do. No I don't want to see them work with Rubin again. An album with Jacknife Lee, or Nigel Godrich or Jon Brion, that I'd be interested in but not Rubin. They should get Elbow to produce :heart: (and tour with them).

The thing is that what U2 expects and wants from a producer seems to be outside of what the industry norm is. U2 doesn't really write songs then go into a studio to record them. The studio is where ever they are and as much a part of the creative process as anything else. Rubin seems to see songwriting as something distinct from the studio whereas for U2 the studio is another instrument to be played. Most artists, seem to write the songs then record them then mix them but with U2 recording and mixing are actually a part of the writing process. I love reading comments by other artists or journalists who have been in the studio with U2 who are blown away by the way they will leap from one thing to another or the way a song will suddenly take a left turn and 10 minutes later you have an entirely different piece of music. I'll admit I don't know a whole lot about how most musicians work but to me what I have read about the way U2 works is totally different to anything I've read about other artists. And many of the people who have worked with them seem to comment that they are truly unique in the way that they work.

Dana

I think Rubin is over-rated; I don't like many of the artists he's worked with. I don't get the big deal with his "production style" either. Just sounds lazy to me.

I also don't want another lazy release like Zooropa: half-formed songs, b-side qualtiy material mostly, obvious melodies. HUGE DROP after the amazingness of Achtung Baby.

Zooropa is awesome. It demands respect. I wouldn't mind another one although it probably won't be as experimental as Zooropa. Songs like Zooropa, Numb, Lemon, Stay, Dirty Day etc kick ass. :up:

But your opinion is yours. :wink:

and yet better than 80% of what was on HTDAAB.

:hmm:

Careful now... opinions, opinions, opinions.

While "Bomb" has some very dubious songs ("A Man and a Woman" and "One Step Closer"), I would take most of that album's material over most of what's on "Zooropa". And I say this as a "Zooropa" fan. But songs like "Babyface" and "Some Days..." really are horrid. The lack of a many dominant guitar driven songs is interesting, but not for an entire album. While there are some gems, I find more on "Bomb".

Regardless, the idea of a "quick" album release in mid-tour is a great idea. That could put the album out in 2010. And if this mid-tour album is similar in quality to "Zooropa", I'll be thrilled.

I think, though, part of this "quick release" will be heavily dependent on how well NLOTH is received. If the album is a hit with several hit songs, then I think the likelihood of a quicker release might be higher. But if NLOTH has so-so sales or modest hit songs, then maybe U2 might want to stop and re-evaluate before rushing out another album. That said, both ATYCLB and HTDAAB were hit albums with hit songs, yet U2 still took their time. So??? :shrug:

Yup. I think that they may take the Rubin material and use it in some form on a future album, but it's very clear from the Q & other interviews that Rubin's style of writing and U2's style of writing just don't mesh well.

Given that we don't know if any of the Rubin material outside of WITS and Saints was ever fully finished, I wonder if he'd even get a production or other credit if any of that material was used...?

Possibly. Like Chris Thomas for his songs, Eno/Lanois for LAPOE on Bomb.

Careful now... opinions, opinions, opinions.

While "Bomb" has some very dubious songs ("A Man and a Woman" and "One Step Closer"), I would take most of that album's material over most of what's on "Zooropa". And I say this as a "Zooropa" fan. But songs like "Babyface" and "Some Days..." really are horrid. The lack of a many dominant guitar driven songs is interesting, but not for an entire album. While there are some gems, I find more on "Bomb".

Regardless, the idea of a "quick" album release in mid-tour is a great idea. That could put the album out in 2010. And if this mid-tour album is similar in quality to "Zooropa", I'll be thrilled.

I think, though, part of this "quick release" will be heavily dependent on how well NLOTH is received. If the album is a hit with several hit songs, then I think the likelihood of a quicker release might be higher. But if NLOTH has so-so sales or modest hit songs, then maybe U2 might want to stop and re-evaluate before rushing out another album. That said, both ATYCLB and HTDAAB were hit albums with hit songs, yet U2 still took their time. So??? :shrug:

As I mentioned on a previous post....Zooropa would have been epic had they of included Wake Up Dead Man, HMTMKMKM, and Velvet Dress. Then maybe it would get it's due...but you are correct in saying that HTDAAB is better. Thats because its more complete IMO.

As I mentioned on a previous post....Zooropa would have been epic had they of included Wake Up Dead Man, HMTMKMKM, and Velvet Dress. Then maybe it would get it's due...but you are correct in saying that HTDAAB is better. Thats because its more complete IMO.

I think the charm of Zooropa is the fact that it isn't a full out epic album. It's short and has a fun off-the-cuff feeling about it, like it was created on the go. Which it was. It packs mad energy. Wake Up Dead Man is flawless on Pop, Velvet Dress fits neatly into the track order on Pop, and HMTMKMKM was, how do i say this...too "rock and roll" for Zooropa. If you ever read "u2 at the end of the world", bono says they made a conscious decision to omit the rock songs from the album, because they wanted an album of experimental, trippy pop songs. Some could be rock songs, but they're disguised in such a great, subtle way you won't even realize it unless u listen to them over and over (Some Days could've been a huge hit for them if it was given a Joshua Tree like production...think about it). Plus i like the fact that some songs don't rise to huge climaxes..like The First Time just kinda whispers by in a dreamy way and Lemon just fades out into the night. Like that about the album. It's so anti-U2. Probably why a lot of people can't connect with it. They're listening with pre-conditioned U2 ears.

I think the charm of Zooropa is the fact that it isn't a full out epic album. It's short and has a fun off-the-cuff feeling about it, like it was created on the go. Which it was. It packs mad energy. Wake Up Dead Man is flawless on Pop, Velvet Dress fits neatly into the track order on Pop, and HMTMKMKM was, how do i say this...too "rock and roll" for Zooropa. If you ever read "u2 at the end of the world", bono says they made a conscious decision to omit the rock songs from the album, because they wanted an album of experimental, trippy pop songs. Some could be rock songs, but they're disguised in such a great, subtle way you won't even realize it unless u listen to them over and over (Some Days could've been a huge hit for them if it was given a Joshua Tree like production...think about it). Plus i like the fact that some songs don't rise to huge climaxes..like The First Time just kinda whispers by in a dreamy way and Lemon just fades out into the night. Like that about the album. It's so anti-U2. Probably why a lot of people can't connect with it. They're listening with pre-conditioned U2 ears.

Simply lovely post. Agree 100%. :up:

haha, quite funny

i think flood did his best work engineering AB. I am not familiar with his production capability outside of U2

was flood in the studio with U2 over the past 2 years?

Flood produced Violator for Depeche Mode! He's fuckin ACE! He produced my fav U2 record as well (Pop. but let's not have that discussion...)

I do wonder where he is...

I am too down for a mid tour album! ta hell with Rick Rubin. Eno and Danny should just become full in-studio "band members". Who does Eno think he is kidding? "Retirement"... psh

Zooropa was solid. cept for Some Days. What a cheese ball of a song. Babyface too actually... but other than that those songs are good tunes

spot on, mate.

Well said. Of course, Zooropa is one of my favorite albums by anyone, so I'm biased.

Regardless, well said. :applaud:

The band have made it quite clear that they found the rubin experience to be very interesting, but thats not the way they wanna work. They seem to like experimenting in the studio and thats not what rubin does.

They have however said that the songs worked on with rubin are alive and well and may appear on a later release :drool:

Lots of great points. I have to agree with you on this.

The one song that I wish we could have heard with Bono's vocals is The Wanderer. I love the Cash version, but would give almost anything to hear what Bono's version sounded like.

Zooropa demands respect, I actually think it's a great album and lyrically is better than HTDAAB, plus it has an awesome album title and cover, and Lemon kicks ass whether you like it or not. :wink:

I :heart: Zooropa

Zooropa demands respect, I actually think it's a great album and lyrically is better than HTDAAB, plus it has an awesome album title and cover, and Lemon kicks ass whether you like it or not. :wink:

I :heart: Zooropa

Zooropa is the album that turned me into a "freak" u2 fan ;). It still is my favorite album because of its fun, edgy tracks that I don't think anybody was expecting. Seeing the video for "Numb" just sealed the deal for me...

I think Zooropa is the album you either really love or really hate. I certainly love it (even have a vanity license plate of "U2 Zoo").

Zooropa is the album that turned me into a "freak" u2 fan ;). It still is my favorite album because of its fun, edgy tracks that I don't think anybody was expecting. Seeing the video for "Numb" just sealed the deal for me...

I think Zooropa is the album you either really love or really hate. I certainly love it (even have a vanity license plate of "U2 Zoo").

Thank god i'm not alone.

How can you not like Stay and Lemon and Numb, Zooropa and Daddy's Gonna Pay or even Dirty Day? :drool:

Back
Top Bottom