Next Album Rumours Thread II - Songs of Ass Scent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it's depressing as fuck that they've been using ATYCLB promo soundbites for half their career

google-translated (with a little help from myself on a few words for clarity) version of the italian article.

https://www.rockol.it/news-707474/onerepublic-nuovo-album-u2-ryan-tedder-intervista

oh boy isn't everyone so excited at this news.

Thanks for the translation :up:

I'm quite surprised they're continuing to work with Ryan Tedder. I figured they'd drop him after neither SoI or SoE produced a 'hit'.

That part about the band aiming to make a less produced album, and that it'll be 'easier' does give me a little optimism. I'd still love to hear some more raw recordings from them, and maybe a more straightforward approach would take less time (though by now I know not expect anything but an ultra-polished album that'll take 5 years).

Bono thinks that the last two albums got great reviews so he probably also thinks they had hits.

they have a very narrow idea of where music is going. to them it means mainstream music that only gets airplay because of payola and seems popular because of inflated stream counts.

the artists they cite who had productive, respected late careers only got the acclaim and success after they stopped trying to keep up with mainstream music. well, aside from Cohen - he never lost the acclaim. But Bowie and Dylan, they regained their mojo when they gave up on the charts and settled into doing their thing. U2 should follow their leads. They won't, though.

And so begging the months/years of speculation/ rumours and endless discussions over every little tidbit of news! I love album release cycles. It will be atleast another 2-3 years before we get this so called very different from last 2 albums album!

I loved the last two albums but I did want them to ditch Ryan Tedder

Saying that when a band gets 40 whatever years it is into their career just be happy their making new music

Ok, I’d like to revise. I like the last 2 albums... but I don’t really care for GOOYOW - American Soul. I used to think nothing could be worse than GOYB or SUC. Now, compared to GOOYOW and AS, I love GOYB and SUC. I don’t know how Bono could lack that much self awareness when he wrote AS. Please, no more of that shit.

I’m usually not too worried about who the producer is, because at the end of the day it’s U2 writing the songs. Brian and Danny helped them make UF, JT, AB and ATYCLB, all of which I consider to be near masterpieces... but they also produced NLOTH, which I consider to be meh.

SOI has an army of producers, but I love it. It connected with me a lot. SOE not so much... I still like most of the songs, but it just missed the mark for me in some ways that SOI did not.

Also, no matter what they say, this next album will sound 90% like all other 00’s U2, with a few new colors sprinkled in.

the artists they cite who had productive, respected late careers only got the acclaim and success after they stopped trying to keep up with mainstream music. well, aside from Cohen - he never lost the acclaim. But Bowie and Dylan, they regained their mojo when they gave up on the charts and settled into doing their thing. U2 should follow their leads. They won't, though.

This

I'd really like them to get back together w/ Brian Burton. Just hash things out, produce whatever the audio equivalent is of makeup sex, and release that shit w/o hesitation...

plz.

I liked the last two albums enough but they're not even cracking the top 50% of my U2 album rankings. I'm disappointed that they are working with Ryan Tedder. I've said in the past I wonder what another collaboration with Eno and Lanois would produce. But in a way I will be pumped for a new release.

Given Bono talking about going away after Berlin/Edge saying 2019 is about regrouping, I am surprised there is studio talk at all. This late in the game, nothing wrong with more output.

Tedder ? I liked last two albums, and "different" sounds good. I hope producer of Book of your heart gets involved.

I know I’ve said this before, but Andy Barlow was the big success in all of the producers they have worked with in the last 10 years. Him and Declan Gaffney.

00s era is over.

can't wait for 20s U2.
6327915319_cc2c4fd950.jpg

Tedder confirms he is due to work with them on the new album in LA, just 4 guys in a room stuff, blah, blah.

I actually liked what Tedder did, I think. "Songs of Experience" might be the best album since "Pop"; it's just really lacking in the lyrics department, but still is much better than "Songs of Innocence" ("13" is so much more beautiful than "Song For Someone") or anything in the 2000s. My least favourite on SOI were the ones on which Lilywhite worked. Not ENOUGH production.

They're finally getting back to using texture and loud and soft. I love that guitar sound The Edge is using and the synths. So gorgeous.

The last time they went back-to-basics were got "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb", which was quite horrible production-wise.

I think Tedder did a way better job than even Eno and Lanois. "No Line on the Horizon" wasn't nearly as good as "Songs of Innocence". Maybe Eno and Lanois can't push the band anymore.

Anyway, it's so cool to see so many critical U2 fans. When I used to post here a lot a decade ago, I'd get attacked by some.

Last edited:
Ok, I’d like to revise. I like the last 2 albums... but I don’t really care for GOOYOW - American Soul. I used to think nothing could be worse than GOYB or SUC. Now, compared to GOOYOW and AS, I love GOYB and SUC. I don’t know how Bono could lack that much self awareness when he wrote AS. Please, no more of that shit.

I’m usually not too worried about who the producer is, because at the end of the day it’s U2 writing the songs. Brian and Danny helped them make UF, JT, AB and ATYCLB, all of which I consider to be near masterpieces... but they also produced NLOTH, which I consider to be meh.

SOI has an army of producers, but I love it. It connected with me a lot. SOE not so much... I still like most of the songs, but it just missed the mark for me in some ways that SOI did not.
Yeah, U2 is the worst judge of what the hits should be.

Really enjoyed "Songs of Experience" , but tracks 3 and especially 4 and 5 are garbage.

The best songs from "Songs of Innocence" were not played live: "California" and "Sleep Like a Baby".
Even if the band wanted to do this, I don't see any chance of Burton wanting to work with them ever again.
I've been listening to "Pop" a lot this year. They should work with Flood and Howie B again. Now, THAT was a well-produced album!
I know I’ve said this before, but Andy Barlow was the big success in all of the producers they have worked with in the last 10 years. Him and Declan Gaffney.
Yes. I loved the music of "Love Is All We Have Left"; Bono just ruined it with the cheesy, vague lyrics that start it, but I love "Now, you're at the other end of a telescope" part.

Last edited:
I will readily admit that I would have liked Songs of Experience significantly more if Songs of Innocence didn't exist.

But it does - and both albums are, to me, blown opportunities in so many different ways.

I think one album, best songs of both, produced by Barlow and Gaffney would have been incredible. An unprecedented 4th decade masterpiece.

LIAWHL
EBW
LOH
Iris
Invisible
RFD
RBW
BOYH
Cedarwood Rd
Landlady
The Crystal Ballroom
Blackout
Reach Me Now
LIBTAIIW
The Troubles
Little Things

In fact - if they were to do that, you would want them to do it as two mini albums, same theme. Most importantly, the atmosphere and mood of Little Things, RFD and LIAWHL throughout.

Songs of Innocence

Invisible
EBW
Reach Me Now
Cedarwood Rd
Iris
Raised By Wolves
The Crystal Ballroom
The Troubles

Songs of Experience

LIAWHL
The Blackout
LOH
The Book of Your Heart
Red Flag Day
Landlady
Love is Bigger
Little Things

I think one album, best songs of both, produced by Barlow and Gaffney would have been incredible. An unprecedented 4th decade masterpiece.

LIAWHL
EBW
LOH
Iris
Invisible
RFD
RBW
BOYH
Cedarwood Rd
Landlady
The Crystal Ballroom
Blackout
Reach Me Now
LIBTAIIW
The Troubles
Little Things

Substitute Sleep Like a Baby for Landlady and I'll buy it...even better if you also remove Love is Bigger.

There are a lot of opinions out there if it comes to u2's sound. They have a really big fan base. I'm a fan of the more experimental/atmospheric u2 (Unforgettable fire/Achtung baby/Zooropa/Passengers/Pop) Although the band wanted to be experimental on the last three albums, it didn't work out quite that way. Those albums ended up mainstream/somewhat traditional (some exceptions on those albums of course).
It's not that I don't like the other albums at all, but traditional u2 is less interesting to me.
So I'm very curious what Songs of Ascent would have sounded like...
A back to basic album with 'just four people' in a room playing for me is not very promising to me. BUT in that case we MIGHT get an album sooner than we think...??????

it's all bullshit, this 4 guys in a room thing. same nonsense every album cycle.

as usual they will end up with 20 producers and throw together a mishmash of the bits they think are the most likely to chart, and it will be a chunky clunky chowder of inconsistency.... with some great bits and some just godawful.

and Bono will say it rivals the best they've ever done.

they're delusional at this point.

They're finally getting back to using texture and loud and soft. I love that guitar sound The Edge is using

The Edge, or one of the five other random guys credited with playing guitar on the album?

I still love most of the songs on the album (and I won't argue against your claim that it's the best collection of them since Pop), but in terms of instrumentation and production, this might be the biggest overcooked mess of their entire career. I don't know where the band ends and all the hired guns begin.

it's all bullshit, this 4 guys in a room thing. same nonsense every album cycle.

as usual they will end up with 20 producers and throw together a mishmash of the bits they think are the most likely to chart, and it will be a chunky clunky chowder of inconsistency.... with some great bits and some just godawful.

and Bono will say it rivals the best they've ever done.

they're delusional at this point.

Delusional is to strong of a word mate , I mean what do you expect them to say when an albums released? Their not gonna say it’s crap or there’s other records that we’ve done that are loads better. Their gonna say it’s good and one of the best , they’ve got to sell it at the end of the day

Back
Top Bottom