New U2 Song To Be Featured In NFL Network's Super Bowl Commercial

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mono

The Fly
:applaud:

NEW U2 SONG TO BE FEATURED IN

NFL NETWORK’S SUPER BOWL COMMERCIAL DURING THE GAME

Raiders Star Darren McFadden Runs Through

an NFL Offseason to Highlight Year-Round Coverage

Twenty-two time Grammy Award-winning band, U2 will be providing the soundtrack to NFL Network’s Super Bowl XLIII commercial that will run during the game. “Get On Your Boots,” the group’s newest single, will be featured in the commercial airing only on Super Bowl Sunday.

The ad, entitled “RUN,” features Oakland Raiders star running back Darren McFadden beginning a training run that continues through the NFL offseason, illustrating that NFL Network is where “Football Season Never Ends.”

This marks the sixth consecutive year that NFL Network will have an advertisement in the Super Bowl. The commercial promotes all NFL Media outlets, including NFL Network, NFL.com and NFL Mobile Live.

“This spot demonstrates that the season and passion for football never ends for players, fans and for NFL Media,” said Dena Kaplan, senior vice president, marketing for NFL Network. “When all you want is football, we’re the direct connection to the NFL all year long.”

Key highlights of the NFL calendar are represented including: NFL Scouting Combine, NFL Draft, Training Camp, and Hall of Fame Induction weekend. The commercial concludes with a uniformed McFadden running onto the field for the opening game of the NFL season.

Also appearing with McFadden in “RUN” are Raiders teammates running back Justin Fargas and center Chris Morris at training camp and running into the stadium, while NFL prospects Brian Cushing (USC) and Brian Orakpo (Texas) participate in NFL Scouting Combine. All were part of the day-long shoot in Los Angeles.

The overall concept was developed in partnership with MeringCarson, and produced by Motion Theory. Cinematographer Claudio Miranda, who was recently nominated for an Oscar for his work on The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, served as Director of Photography.

NFL Network airs seven days a week, 24 hours a day on a year-round basis and is the only television network fully dedicated to the NFL and the sport of football. For more information, log on to NFL Network. NFL.com is the exclusive internet home of NFL Network.

New U2 Song to be Featured in NFL Network’s Super Bowl Commercial During the Game | Sports Media News

Here comes the fucking promotion I was dreading. Ah well. I guess I can't live in a pipe dream forever.

The general bitchfest over the lack of promotion of the new single will now give way to the general bitchfest over the shameless overpromotion of the new single. :applaud:

Dana

more reason for people who dont like u2 to dislike them even more.

I was (half) kidding. Although I honestly did enjoy the quiet confidence that this album seemed to be inspiring in the band. Let's hope they don't go overboard.

Not really a fan of this but I suppose Boots needs all the promotion it can get. :shrug:

The ad, entitled “RUN,” features Oakland Raiders star running back Darren McFadden beginning a training run that continues through the NFL offseason, illustrating that NFL Network is where “Football Season Never Ends.”

…except, ironically, if you’re a Raiders fan where the soap opera never ends and you wish the season would just end. :wink:

I wont see it in Canada anyway....we dont get any of the commercials but Im sure it will be youtubed :)

Well with the Boots video, this, and the grammys, I'd say Boots is gonna get the push it needs into the mainstream.

I wont see it in Canada anyway....we dont get any of the commercials but Im sure it will be youtubed :)

The commercials are the only things halfway decent about the superbowl, and only for crappy instant gratification at that. *shrug*

more reason for people who dont like u2 to dislike them even more.

Who gives a rat's ass about those people...I'm glad U2 is doing this since GOYB is getting dropped from some rock stations' playlists in the U.S.(I believe in part a Bono bias)......the commercial is a NFL commercial by the NFL Network promoting American football...like the Vertigo I-pod commercial in 2004 ...no money is being exchanged ...just cross promotion....U2 aren't selling cars like Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith did...so what's wrong with it?

what's wrong is it is that some people still think u2 are a small, cult little indie band. they aren't. they've always wanted to be #1, be in everybody's minds and CD players and radios. it comes with the territory.

maybe in another two albums, it won't be like that as they get older. but for now, U2 want to be big. i don't blame them at all. and it's a smart move to have the cross promotion for the Super Bowl. so many people will be watching the ad, followed by the grammy's the next week. it will generate Boots and Horizon buzz, finally. they're smart and they know what they're doing when it comes to this stuff.

I don't mind this at all - it's not like "...Boots" is some sacred song... it's fun, catchy, and musically diverse (comparatively to recent U2-output). The band turned down 27 million dollars for use of WTSHNN in a car commercial... they're not completely unscrupulous :wink:

Good to see U2 promotional team has gotten off their asses and gotten into gear...I really think things would have looked a little better for U2 in the U.S. if "Boots" had been released to radio a week later(the 27th) and closer to the time video is being released (the 30th)

what's wrong is it is that some people still think u2 are a small, cult little indie band. they aren't. they've always wanted to be #1, be in everybody's minds and CD players and radios. it comes with the territory.

Interviewer: Don't you ever worry that all that success might spoil you?

Young Bono: Um, I hope it does.

That was a great interview on Canadian TV :)

Id like to show them that interview now :) All the way back in 1980 :)

I'm totally up for as much promotion as possible. The more ears that get to hear U2, the better. Blast this song from the grandest scales possible. :rockon:

Here comes the fucking promotion I was dreading. Ah well. I guess I can't live in a pipe dream forever.

I'm sure U2 wish they didn't have to do this either.

And perhaps some will argue that at this stage of their careers, U2 shouldn't care if their album "only" sells 1M copies in the U.S. If it's a good album, that's all that matters.

Of course, that is the pipe dream part. U2 have always been about being big - ever since "Boy". :)

With that in mind, today's world dictates that promotion is needed. For the past decade, great music by Moby, Sting, Kings of Leon, etc., was being overlooked. Radio stations simply weren't playing their songs. Gone are the days of stations taking a chance on new music. They have their pre-ordained hits and that's that. Gone are the days of a video making a song a hit. MTV rarely plays videos. So what's an artist to do? In comes mainstream TV.

Iggy Pop recently stated that he didn't care if his music was used in a commercial. He said it wasn't written with a commercial in mind, and that's the important part. If the business world sees a connection, so be it. But the music itself was pure. I definitely feel this way with U2. Some fans may hate the commercial association, but for many artists, both past and present, it's a great way to get a song played. A new generation of kids were exposed to Led Zeppelin thanks to those Cadillac commercials!

Die-hards like us have been awaiting the album for years. But a typical fan probably has no idea a new album is coming or a new song is ready, unless they just happened to hear it on one of the few stations that plays alternative rock.

While I wish U2 could be super cool like in the JT and AB eras, with relatively small amounts of promotion, old-fashioned record stores, MTV, and radio just aren't there to help advertise. So TV tie-ins are needed.

Besides, I like football. I like U2. Sounds fun to me. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom