New U2 Song To Be Featured In NFL Network's Super Bowl Commercial - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2009, 11:03 PM   #31
The Fly

Local Time: 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwho View Post
With that in mind, today's world dictates that promotion is needed. For the past decade, great music by Moby, Sting, Kings of Leon, etc.,

Tell me about it. How many more people heard about Kings of Leon when Molly's Chambers showed up on that VW ad? Of course Kings of Leon didn't seem to take any hits to their cred or their integrity for doing it. And that was an ad for a very crappy car (no offense to anybody who bought one).

Old 01-29-2009, 11:13 PM   #32
The Fly

Local Time: 06:13 AM
"There is a culture of lies in white rock and roll, that you don't get in hip hop, you don't get in jazz or other areas, where people won't own up to their ambitions, okay? So they pretend, 'Yeah, man, I'm just a punk rocker here, you know? All I care about is the music, man.'

Wrong.

If you love your music, you're going to want to communicate it. It's about communication. That's why you've formed a band. No one forms a band unless they want to be the Beatles or the Rolling Stones, or the Sex Pistols, or the Clash or Nirvana or whatever.

If you want a private little experience, become a potter. Go buy yourself a potter's wheel and go fuck off."

- Bono

"...so over this precious, we're true to our roots, man. We won't let our music go here or there... I think you have to be careful what you do with your music, but this idea of we're not being into corporations and we don't want to be on the radio... We want to be on every TV show. We want to be on every radio show. That's what we want. That's why we do this.

We're signed to a corporation, Universal Records. There isn't a record company I know that's totally independent.

So I got a pain in my ass sometimes that they want to see us keep it real.

Go work in a fucking coal mine and keep it real."

-Larry

Old 01-29-2009, 11:41 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Location: in the enchanted forest of dreams and wonderment...or else at my computer.
Local Time: 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlee View Post
"There is a culture of lies in white rock and roll, that you don't get in hip hop, you don't get in jazz or other areas, where people won't own up to their ambitions, okay? So they pretend, 'Yeah, man, I'm just a punk rocker here, you know? All I care about is the music, man.'

Wrong.

If you love your music, you're going to want to communicate it. It's about communication. That's why you've formed a band. No one forms a band unless they want to be the Beatles or the Rolling Stones, or the Sex Pistols, or the Clash or Nirvana or whatever.

If you want a private little experience, become a potter. Go buy yourself a potter's wheel and go fuck off."

- Bono

"...so over this precious, we're true to our roots, man. We won't let our music go here or there... I think you have to be careful what you do with your music, but this idea of we're not being into corporations and we don't want to be on the radio... We want to be on every TV show. We want to be on every radio show. That's what we want. That's why we do this.

We're signed to a corporation, Universal Records. There isn't a record company I know that's totally independent.

So I got a pain in my ass sometimes that they want to see us keep it real.

Go work in a fucking coal mine and keep it real."

-Larry
Ouch.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:42 PM   #34
War Child

Local Time: 02:13 AM
Those are some angry quotes Jason...when did they make those statements!
Old 01-29-2009, 11:45 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

U2 has been licensing its songs for use in NFL ads for many years now, so this one isn't anything too new. And I guess the last album's first single, Vertigo, started off in a commercial, too.

Is it March 3 yet?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:47 PM   #36
The Fly

When they were promoting Bomb. They were asked why they were premiering their songs on CSI, The OC, etc. and why the Vertigo iPod ad and the U2 iPod?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:49 PM   #37
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by oski2005 View Post
Tell me about it. How many more people heard about Kings of Leon when Molly's Chambers showed up on that VW ad? Of course Kings of Leon didn't seem to take any hits to their cred or their integrity for doing it. And that was an ad for a very crappy car (no offense to anybody who bought one).
You know I really think that was the case because no one knew who the hell they were ....except for us.....it might be a bit different if they tried to do that now with "Sex On Fire"...I will grant you the state of the music biz today is forcing bands who would normally not do that...to do just that..sell their music to a car company etc.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:54 PM   #38
War Child

Local Time: 01:13 AM
Great thread -- who the f* offered $27 Million for Streets in a commercial? Better yet, why didn't they take it? Cuz it will fetch $50 Million in ten years?

I"m all for the promotion -- it is going to be interesting -- if Bono can say "2009 is our year" and then pull it off well it would be sort of like a baseball player pointing down the left field line as he steps into the box and going deep on the first pitch.

Can someone please post all the little text like short-cuts -- some nice Blue Crackheads gave me the QFT 411, but its sprinkled all around and I'm feeling 44 and clueless.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #39
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlee View Post
When they were promoting Bomb. They were asked why they were premiering their songs on CSI, The OC, etc. and why the Vertigo iPod ad and the U2 iPod?
OK thanks for that info....I guess the bottom line though is they still are not exchanging money with the network/companies.....it's all cross promotion

I-pod is a musical product and they had their own...they didn't take the money as Bruce Springsteen said...it isn't the same thing as Led Zeppelin Chrysler car commercial etc.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:48 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:13 AM
Get on your boots is a great title for any type of Sports commercial.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:02 AM   #41
War Child

...I don't know. I always kind of thought that the whole point of being a professional musician was that you actually wanted other people to hear your song.

And, with that apparently twisted logic I have, I would assume that having a commercial on one of the largest advertising days of the year would be, I dunno, a good idea?

Crazy, I know.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:06 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Location: in the enchanted forest of dreams and wonderment...or else at my computer.
For anyone who would like a visual aide to jason's lovely quotes:

YouTube - U2 Dismantled Part 3 of 3

5:20
Old 01-30-2009, 02:16 AM   #43
War Child

Wow. In that clip, Bono and Larry have said everything I've been trying to explain to my friends for so long.

Just because you want people to get your album doesn't mean you're not an artist or you're not genuine or you're a sell-out.

I look at hip-hop and I envy the freedom that those artists have. Jay-Z comes out with full albums detailing how much money he had and he gets *more* credibility for it in the hip hop world.

Rock music is so sadly behind.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:26 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

happy to oblige, my friend.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:52 AM   #45
The Fly

Anyone interested in pottery?

Tags
super bowl, super bowl commercial, u2