New U2 Song To Be Featured In NFL Network's Super Bowl Commercial - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 11:45 PM
Well with the Boots video, this, and the grammys, I'd say Boots is gonna get the push it needs into the mainstream.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahweh View Post
I wont see it in Canada anyway....we dont get any of the commercials but Im sure it will be youtubed
The commercials are the only things halfway decent about the superbowl, and only for crappy instant gratification at that. *shrug*

Old 01-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenlard View Post
more reason for people who dont like u2 to dislike them even more.

Who gives a rat's ass about those people...I'm glad U2 is doing this since GOYB is getting dropped from some rock stations' playlists in the U.S.(I believe in part a Bono bias)......the commercial is a NFL commercial by the NFL Network promoting American football...like the Vertigo I-pod commercial in 2004 ...no money is being exchanged ...just cross promotion....U2 aren't selling cars like Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith did...so what's wrong with it?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:58 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

what's wrong is it is that some people still think u2 are a small, cult little indie band. they aren't. they've always wanted to be #1, be in everybody's minds and CD players and radios. it comes with the territory.

maybe in another two albums, it won't be like that as they get older. but for now, U2 want to be big. i don't blame them at all. and it's a smart move to have the cross promotion for the Super Bowl. so many people will be watching the ad, followed by the grammy's the next week. it will generate Boots and Horizon buzz, finally. they're smart and they know what they're doing when it comes to this stuff.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:59 PM   #20
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahweh View Post
I wont see it in Canada anyway....we dont get any of the commercials but Im sure it will be youtubed
BTW just want to say off topic...love Canada wish we the in the U.S. had a bit more of your country's musical taste
Old 01-29-2009, 10:10 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:45 PM
I don't mind this at all - it's not like "...Boots" is some sacred song... it's fun, catchy, and musically diverse (comparatively to recent U2-output). The band turned down 27 million dollars for use of WTSHNN in a car commercial... they're not completely unscrupulous
Old 01-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #22
War Child

Good to see U2 promotional team has gotten off their asses and gotten into gear...I really think things would have looked a little better for U2 in the U.S. if "Boots" had been released to radio a week later(the 27th) and closer to the time video is being released (the 30th)
Old 01-29-2009, 10:22 PM   #23
The Male

Local Time: 04:45 PM
Better GOYB than My Life Would Suck Without You.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:28 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Old 01-29-2009, 10:30 PM   #25
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by popacrobat View Post
what's wrong is it is that some people still think u2 are a small, cult little indie band. they aren't. they've always wanted to be #1, be in everybody's minds and CD players and radios. it comes with the territory.
Interviewer: Don't you ever worry that all that success might spoil you?

Young Bono: Um, I hope it does.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:45 PM
That was a great interview on Canadian TV

Id like to show them that interview now All the way back in 1980
Old 01-29-2009, 10:39 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm totally up for as much promotion as possible. The more ears that get to hear U2, the better. Blast this song from the grandest scales possible.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #28
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post

Old 01-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
Here comes the fucking promotion I was dreading. Ah well. I guess I can't live in a pipe dream forever.
I'm sure U2 wish they didn't have to do this either.

And perhaps some will argue that at this stage of their careers, U2 shouldn't care if their album "only" sells 1M copies in the U.S. If it's a good album, that's all that matters.

Of course, that is the pipe dream part. U2 have always been about being big - ever since "Boy".

With that in mind, today's world dictates that promotion is needed. For the past decade, great music by Moby, Sting, Kings of Leon, etc., was being overlooked. Radio stations simply weren't playing their songs. Gone are the days of stations taking a chance on new music. They have their pre-ordained hits and that's that. Gone are the days of a video making a song a hit. MTV rarely plays videos. So what's an artist to do? In comes mainstream TV.

Iggy Pop recently stated that he didn't care if his music was used in a commercial. He said it wasn't written with a commercial in mind, and that's the important part. If the business world sees a connection, so be it. But the music itself was pure. I definitely feel this way with U2. Some fans may hate the commercial association, but for many artists, both past and present, it's a great way to get a song played. A new generation of kids were exposed to Led Zeppelin thanks to those Cadillac commercials!

Die-hards like us have been awaiting the album for years. But a typical fan probably has no idea a new album is coming or a new song is ready, unless they just happened to hear it on one of the few stations that plays alternative rock.

While I wish U2 could be super cool like in the JT and AB eras, with relatively small amounts of promotion, old-fashioned record stores, MTV, and radio just aren't there to help advertise. So TV tie-ins are needed.

Besides, I like football. I like U2. Sounds fun to me.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by popacrobat View Post
what's wrong is it is that some people still think u2 are a small, cult little indie band. they aren't. .....
Small, cult indie bands sell their songs to car commercials these days anyway.

Tags
super bowl, super bowl commercial, u2