new u2 release scheduled for this fall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorian Gray

Refugee
my boss just came back from a meeting with our company's head office execs to discuss marketing strategies for the year. (we work for a major music retailer) apparently there's a u2 release slated for this upcoming fall.. no word on what it is, and this isnt something Universal wants to make known yet. anyway, my boss found it interesting that the industry is really counting on this new title performing, to counter the prevailing cd sales slump.

new album?

I'm doubtful, but I would love for this to happen. I'd rather be skeptical then surprised rather than hopeful then let down.

Oooh, maybe it's another greatest hits collection.

U2, 18 MORE singles ... :hyper:

;)

I'm skeptical too... at least in terms of a new studio album. I'd put my money on this being something other.

which leaves us with...

soundtrack?
boxset?
dvd?
rarities disc?
live cd?

I think it might be POPMART Mexico City DVD - this release was rescheduled after first planned release in April this year....

:hmm: I thought they said no new album this year.

They said Popmart will come out, but that's a DVD, not a CD release. IMAX soundtrack?

if this is to counter the CD sales slump then it HAS to be a new album. But this is a bit far fetched and I don't believe it could ever happen this year. An IMAX release is more likely but that would hardly set worldwide sales alight.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if they had a new album due in the fall, one would assume there would be regular sightings at the/a recording studio, which there have not been.

so unless they're keeping this very, very quiet and hiding out in adam's basement, um, yea... don't count on it/

what about thier 8 month break during the tour last year.
could they have written songs and temporily produced them?
we know they was at Abbey Road studios and recorded atleast 3 songs. And Adam said they had 6 -7 songs ready.

Is it possible for them to be in the studio from April to August and finalise more songs?

Plus if its Rubin, we know he is a fast producer.

im prolly wrong, but its fun to guess :D

U212 Flops

featuring classic commericial failures Fire, A Celebration, Original of the Species, and Last night on Earth!

Posted in PLEBA : "Somebody over at the Zoo (I don't remember his screen name, though I remember his name is James) met Dallas Schoo at HQ on the 27th or 28th. He was only there picking up equipment , but he was nice enough to stop and chat for a few minutes, give them some picks, and pose for a picture."

:hmm: What if they're not making this one in Dublin? They started out in France in the summer, did some work at Abbey Road, why not go somewhere else for a change? Like the US, where all 4 have apartments/houses?

if they had a new album due in the fall, one would assume there would be regular sightings at the/a recording studio, which there have not been.

so unless they're keeping this very, very quiet and hiding out in adam's basement, um, yea... don't count on it/

Also I suspect that after Pop the band are very cautious about committing to release dates before they are absolutely sure the album is ready. I doubt they would make that mistake twice.

I remember reading somewhere that Rick Rubin wants the band to write the songs before they go into the studio to record them. So they can easily be at Bono's house in France or somewhere else working on the songs. It doesn't sound like they'll have a long haul in the studio if they stick with Rubin.

Joey788 said:

I remember reading somewhere that Rick Rubin wants the band to write the songs before they go into the studio to record them. So they can easily be at Bono's house in France or somewhere else working on the songs. It doesn't sound like they'll have a long haul in the studio if they stick with Rubin.

except they're not in France at all, Bono's been traipsing back and forth across the US and Larry was just sighted in NYC. I guess it's possible they are working in NY. :hmm:

I should point out that there were similar murmurs at last year's conference, which turned out to be U218. So these exec types tend to be in the know with this sort of thing. What's not clear is what this release is... I want to emphasize that

Dont they have enough material written already? I have heard somewhere that they have enough "rough" material / songs to fill up several albums that just need "fine tuning". Hopefully that means more like Mercy and less like WITS, or whatever. Either way, how long does it really take? At the current rate ( new album every 4 years ) they will all be 60 by the time they fulfill their recording contracts.

bgmckinney said:

Also I suspect that after Pop the band are very cautious about committing to release dates before they are absolutely sure the album is ready. I doubt they would make that mistake twice.

True, but that is mostly in regards to committing to tour dates. Album deadlines are easier to set and move...:yes:

Back
Top Bottom