new u2 release scheduled for this fall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^True. Either it's a new album, or they were mistaken in thinking that this release will save CD sales. Neither a dvd (PopMart) nor a soundtrack/live album (IMAX soundtrack) would "save cd sales."

Yes, that doesn't make sense. A DVD or the IMAX movie won't increase CD sales. And we're not getting another Best of compilation.

:hmm:

Didn't Billboard or Rolling Stone say the industry was hoping to rebound in 2006 with the upcoming U2 release, which then turned out to be 18 Singles?

In other words, it could be anything. Just because they hope the release sparks a rebound doesn't mean it's logical to hope that (in the case of a soundtrack, DVD or compliation).

Still, even the band and management has said 2007 so it could very well happen.

There's no reason it CAN'T be a new album. I mean, I don't expect it to be. But we can't count it out definitively.

IMAX? Please. A lot of you are overhyping that. There are only 240 IMAX screens worldwide, 60% in US/Canada, and they don't do a raging business compared to standard cinema releases. The best comparative IMAX titles would be other 'fan' things like the Michael Jordan release, or the US NASCAR one. Both did a little above or below $20mill (and above them on all time IMAX box office listings are 15 other films, all aside from two - Polar Express & Beauty and the Beast - are nature/science documentaries), or perhaps the only 2 other music IMAX releases, N*Sync ($1.8mill) & All Access ($0.9), and they run for a looong time to get that. Even Star Wars: Attack of the Clones only did $8.5mill. The cinemas are generaly the destination, not the films themselves.

Point is, there is no way U2 will release anything even semi-major around it to tie in or promote it, with the only even remotely likely thing being a live CD (and even that would have to be a stretch to consider likely - even though U2 clearly love their low effort/huge reward releases of late). It's just not going to have any kind of reach, and U2 aren't about releasing things that don't have mass market appeal and reach. IMAX most certainly does not.

A new album is not all that unlikely, but I wouldn't expect it to be all that remarkable or radical....

It might be half brand spanking new songs and half partly-finished songs or fragments left over from ATYCLB or HTDAAB sessions. And She's Gonna Blow Your House Down Mercy will have to be released some day so there's always the possibility of that.

If we do have an album this year, it will probably be Zooropa-like, a continuity from where U2 were at musically during the HTDAAB/WITS sessions...

Who knows, I just cant wait for rumoured song titles and album names and album covers to begin circulating...

Earnie Shavers said:
There are only 240 IMAX screens worldwide, 60% in US/Canada, and they don't do a raging business compared to standard cinema releases. The best comparative IMAX titles would be other 'fan' things like the Michael Jordan release, or the US NASCAR one. Both did a little above or below $20mill (and above them on all time IMAX box office listings are 15 other films, all aside from two - Polar Express & Beauty and the Beast - are nature/science documentaries), or perhaps the only 2 other music IMAX releases, N*Sync ($1.8mill) & All Access ($0.9), and they run for a looong time to get that. Even Star Wars: Attack of the Clones only did $8.5mill.

love those stats. :drool: you sure do your homework. :wink:

but I disagree. The film might be wide-released, not just on IMAX, and I heard it was a 3D concert film, not just IMAX. So there may be a live album forthcoming. I'd look forward to that.

Chicago, Milan and Imax.

Pixies, Peter Gabriel, Rolling Stones and Elton(I think) have each released more than 3 videos after the same tour.

It's a good idea.

u2fp

As usual, I'm going to be positive about this and hope that it is new material. It's not an impossibility, and simple logic removes the likelihood of many of those choices.

Double album, August 6th. :rockon:

intedomine said:
A new album is not all that unlikely, but I wouldn't expect it to be all that remarkable or radical....

It might be half brand spanking new songs and half partly-finished songs or fragments left over from ATYCLB or HTDAAB sessions. And She's Gonna Blow Your House Down Mercy will have to be released some day so there's always the possibility of that.

If we do have an album this year, it will probably be Zooropa-like, a continuity from where U2 were at musically during the HTDAAB/WITS sessions...

i hope you are right!

the 3D movie will not come before 2008.
New Album - NOOO WAY
The fall release should be Popmart or a remastered CD -

Most bands could have an album out by Christmas, if U2 wanted to they could easily get one out, and they have 6 or 7 songs so far, well maybe they've changed direction become a prog band and already have a new album ready, 5 minute long solos of 2 notes :drool:

If U2 comes out with a new album this year 2007 will officially be one of the best years in music ever

I mean, holy shit, I'm already overwhelmed at the great music out now.

A new album is probably just wishful thinking but who knows...it'd be nice if U2 were able to record an album without a bunch of hype and media reports. Just like BAM, new U2 album.

AtomicBono said:

A new album is probably just wishful thinking but who knows...it'd be nice if U2 were able to record an album without a bunch of hype and media reports. Just like BAM, new U2 album.

Reminds me of the White Stripes. :drool:

Icky Pop :wink:

U2FanPeter said:

It takes 2 years to edit a concert film? (U2 Latin American dates were in early 2006)

I can't say for sure, because I'm not familiar with the whole process of editing and stuff but since this is a special format maybe it does take some time to get it right rather than having to deal with a "normal" concert dvd.
3D view, huge format etc.
Also, I heard they shot some more footage in Melbourne or somewhere during the last leg of the tour so that might have delayed the whole process too since they got more material to work with.

If Slane would be considered a proper DVD release it took almost two years from the day of shooting the concert to it's release, but in the end maybe the whole online petition thing might have caused it to get released, perhaps they didn't plan to release it at all more than the "U2's Beautiful Day" TV-special.

How much time lapsed between the Rolling Stones/Genesis concerts circa 1988/89 and their respective IMAX films? (They were not in the 3D format)

U2FanPeter said:
How much time lapsed between the Rolling Stones/Genesis concerts circa 1988/89 and their respective IMAX films? (They were not in the 3D format)
Rolling Stones:
Between 1-2 years

from imdb.com
Release Date:
June 1992
A filming of the 1990 Rolling Stones "Steel Wheels" concert that traveled Europe.

I didn't find anything about Genesis though.

Some questions:
A new CD release might sell, what, 4-5 million copies tops? Is that what AYCLB and HTDAAB sold? Or is that just U.S.?

Realistically, how many copies of a Popmart DVD could they sell?

How many remastered JT or ABs would sell? Do any industry people out there know numbers for these sort of releases?

After "wrapping up another chapter," I think it would be pretty counter-productive to release another dated product. An IMAX film would be cool, but I can't see how it's a good career move.

At this point, anything but new material seems like a lousy idea to me. And at U2's age and with CD sales in the toilet, I can't imagine any benefit in stretching out this process. The Chrismas season is obviously important, and to waste another year for a Christmas 08 new album seems crazy, crazy, crazy. The boys have to feel this heat.

ahittle said:
Some questions:
A new CD release might sell, what, 4-5 million copies tops? Is that what AYCLB and HTDAAB sold? Or is that just U.S.?

I think that stat is just in the U.S. HTDAAB bomb has sold over 10 million worldwide and 3 million in the U.S. ATYCLB's total sales are 12 million.

U2girl said:
Posted in PLEBA : "Somebody over at the Zoo (I don't remember his screen name, though I remember his name is James) met Dallas Schoo at HQ on the 27th or 28th. He was only there picking up equipment , but he was nice enough to stop and chat for a few minutes, give them some picks, and pose for a picture."

:hmm: What if they're not making this one in Dublin? They started out in France in the summer, did some work at Abbey Road, why not go somewhere else for a change? Like the US, where all 4 have apartments/houses?

They're making this one near L.A., so Edge and Rick Rubin can be close to home...

:shh:

Back
Top Bottom