New Song: The Cedars of Lebanon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Either a) you don't understand sarcasm, or b), you do, and this is just a poor attempt at humour.

That's humour with a 'u', the way it's meant to be spelled. And that's spelled, not spelt, because spelt is not a word.

:heart:

But I never used the word "spelled" or "spelt" in my post. However, I did correcly use the word "misspelled" as in misspelling "easy". :sexywink:

And yes, the humor was poor, but that was intentional as I was clearly imitating your post.

:hug:

I hope that the song sounds good, but I think that this is the worst song title I've ever heard. Ever. It sounds outrageously self-important and contrived. Again, though, I hope that it sounds good...though I'm less enthusiastic, now, than I already was (and I'm expecting nothing but garbage, for this record, based on what I've thought of the band's output, from about 2002 and on).

I hope that the song sounds good, but I think that this is the worst song title I've ever heard. Ever. It sounds outrageously self-important and contrived. Again, though, I hope that it sounds good...though I'm less enthusiastic, now, than I already was (and I'm expecting nothing but garbage, for this record, based on what I've thought of the band's output, from about 2002 and on).

daaaaaamn...you're really going all out

"nothing but garbage" eh? Well here's a new perspective :scratch:

Thank you. I was starting to get slightly worried because so many people were reacting so positively to the latest album news. For a minute I think I forgot where I was, phew.

:|

Again, though, I hope that it sounds good...though I'm less enthusiastic, now, than I already was (and I'm expecting nothing but garbage, for this record, based on what I've thought of the band's output, from about 2002 and on).

So basically you haven't liked a few singles and HTDAAB and now because of a song title so you don't expect to like this release either. :huh:

On another note, I wonder if this title will scare people with phobias regarding anything even remotely middle eastern.

Dude, I really don't think U2 is the band for you anymore, lol. They're now far away from the Kid A type state of mind they were once in. And judging by your indietastic tastes, I'm guessing you want something more interesting and unique from them. I guess that is why this band seems to treasure it's casual fans a lot. The hardcore fans often seem to be hardcore only for a particular era and then start to get disappointed because of the total shift in musical style and image. Of course there's always exceptions.

Again, how can you judge a song by its title???????? thats idiotic to do! You haven't even heard the song or songs! How can you conclude they will be garbage??? if you ask me a song could be called " Shitting in the Shitter" and if you ask me that is a pretty horrible name but the song could be the best U2 song out there! Argh

I hope that the song sounds good, but I think that this is the worst song title I've ever heard. Ever. It sounds outrageously self-important and contrived. .

....right

:eyebrow:

just what exactly is so self-important and contrived about it, especially in comparison to any other song title?

I didn't know where else to post this, but I predict some kind of official announcement this month; possibly just regarding the first single, but I think they'll toss us something about the time the remasters hit.

And regarding the Cedars title, I can't judge until I hear it...sounds unique and therefore exciting. I can only imagine what that'll be like.

You know what, since every fan is going to bitch about titles U2 should just go with the eno minimalistic aproach.

1/1
1/2
2/1
2/2

Let the music speak... lol

lmao. the ad i have at the top of this webpage, assuming its dynamic now because they all seem to be related to whatever thread, is CHAT WITH SINGLE ARABS HERE. that really cracks me up. Sorry to be off topic.

since everyone else has pretty much summed up what I think about this comment.. I'll give you this: :doh:

Again, how can you judge a song by its title???????? thats idiotic to do! You haven't even heard the song or songs! How can you conclude they will be garbage??? if you ask me a song could be called " Shitting in the Shitter" and if you ask me that is a pretty horrible name but the song could be the best U2 song out there! Argh

Just want to point out for you and the number of others who quoted my post apparently without actually reading it that I'm not judging the song by its title...I'm simply judging the title itself. As I said several times, I would really like to enjoy it and I hope that I do (the same goes for the record), but I fear that I won't. Not because of the song's title (which makes me nervous simply because it suggests to me what I already stated, but in no way means that it must be bad), but rather because of the fact that I haven't enjoyed any of U2's newer material very much. Just wanted to clear that up. Given my love for this band, I tend to read a lot into things, and what I see as the awfulness of the song title causes my mind to start racing with thoughts like, "Wow, if the title is this bad, then what about the lyrics???" and so forth.

Thesis: I am nervous because of the song title, but hoping for the best. My expectations are very, very, very low, because I haven't enjoyed recent U2 releases, but I also hope that these lower expectations might help me to come at the songs and record with a more open mind, making it easier for them to show me something, rather than show me what I want or am expecting/demanding.

...And if the comment about my liking too many "indie" (whatever the shit that means) bands to remain a U2 fan was tongue-in-cheek, then fair play. No worries at all. If not, though, then take it easy, Zootles. That's just ridiculous. The band loves The Velvet Underground as much as I do, if not more, the Arcade Fire isn't exactly Springsteen, try as it might, and I don't at all enjoy just one U2 era while hating all the others. I just haven't really enjoyed the last few years, and am quite skeptical about the future, as a result. It's my nature. Again, I hope that my crazy-low expectations are spectacularly exceeded and that the record dominates me like the records of old. That'd be sweet. "Elvis Presley And America" is a brutally awful song title, and I expected to hate it way back when I first heard it, but I've loved the song in spite of that title for beyond ages, now. I hope that the same'll be true of "Cedars," in the near future, but maintain that my personal skepticism is warranted, if not to be universally shared by all.

Oh, and "Shitting in the Shitter" certainly does sound interesting, if nothing else. I listened to Anal Cunt based on the name, alone, and the same goes for the Day Glo Abortions. Neither of those bands (nor the latter's album, Two Dogs Fucking) really did it for me, though. They more than lived up to the awfulness of their names, much to my chagrin. :wink:

Jesus, what it must be like to be that negative!?!

Maybe If You Shout thought the album was going to be produced by Brian Emo, not Brian Eno. :wink:

girls-emo-haircut.jpg

Dude, I really don't think U2 is the band for you anymore, lol. They're now far away from the Kid A type state of mind they were once in. And judging by your indietastic tastes, I'm guessing you want something more interesting and unique from them. I guess that is why this band seems to treasure it's casual fans a lot. The hardcore fans often seem to be hardcore only for a particular era and then start to get disappointed because of the total shift in musical style and image. Of course there's always exceptions.

Not totally true. I have been a hardcore fan since 85, so have quite a few people I know. All of us have been hardcore right through and still are, but have been disappointed by parts of the last two albums. I'm very positive about the new album, but part of me is a little anxious too, but what I'm hearing about the new album is getting me excited.
Cedars of Lebanon sounds like a good title, plus I doubt it will be used over and over again in the chorus which will make a nice change::wink:

Back
Top Bottom