New Song: The Cedars of Lebanon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rogueslayer1138

Babyface
Daniel Lanois Interview:
- New Song: The Cedars of Lebanon
(it will either be the first song on the album or the first single)
- Jimi Hendrix influences
- Very strong bass lines
- Album almost finished
- All songs on the album are very innovative
- The album is shaping up to be a major record

Daniel Lanois talks a little bit about the new U2 album at: VOIR.CA - Daniel Lanois - La loi de Lanois. The article is in french, but the Google translation is:

"This means that Lanois return shortly Ireland, where projects have attracted the serious these days. In this case, the realization of the next album from a certain Irish band The disc U2 is almost finished, reveals he says. I am very happy with the work that has been accomplished. It has worked particularly the bass sound. I think it will be a major discs group, a disc innovative all chapters.

This meeting, although fruitful, would she have done Lanois forget this dream that one day we were given: to be able to cross swords with Jimi Hendrix. Jimi visits me from time to time, he answers, amused. I just crossed in the studio recently. It inspired me a sound brand new concept. They may hear the first song on the new U2 , Song entitled The Cedars of Lebanon ..."

If anyone well versed in French could offer a better translation, it would be most appreciated.

Im excited...the title sounds novel, yet the most exciting part is to hear it confirmed that Adam steps up to the plate on this one. Nothing beats ROCK with some GROOVE....thats what made Hendrix stand out :drool:

here's the gist of it...

although it doesn't say anywhere in that article that it will be the first song/single - just that this "new Hendrix-inspired sound" will be heard for the first time in this song...

translation:

Lanois will shortly be returning from Ireland where he’s been recently working on some serious projects, more specifically the new album by a certain Irish ensemble... “The U2 album is practically finished,” he reveals. “I’m very happy with what’s been achieved. We’ve particularly developed the bass sound. I think this will be one of the group’s great records, an innovative record in every way.”

re. Hendrix, Lanois says: “Jimi comes to see me from time to time... In fact, I bumped into him in the studio recently. He inspired me to find a brand new sound which can be heard for the first time in a new U2 song, called The Cedars of Lebanon...”

here's the gist of it...

although it doesn't say anywhere in that article that it will be the first song/single - just that this "new Hendrix-inspired sound" will be heard for the first time in this song...

translation:

Lanois will shortly be returning from Ireland where he’s been recently working on some serious projects, more specifically the new album by a certain Irish ensemble... “The U2 album is practically finished,” he reveals. “I’m very happy with what’s been achieved. We’ve particularly developed the bass sound. I think this will be one of the group’s great records, an innovative record in every way.”

re. Hendrix, Lanois says: “Jimi comes to see me from time to time... In fact, I bumped into him in the studio recently. He inspired me to find a brand new sound which can be heard for the first time in a new U2 song, called The Cedars of Lebanon...”

Yeah, new U2 song in a Jimi Hendrix-jacket... very innovative !!:yawn:

Daniel Lanois Interview:

Bono looks back at the guitarist and says, “Edge – look, it’s 6 o’clock,” and the two look from the green digits on the stereo to each other. Bono explains that numbers are significant in each of the new songs, and slips in another CD that may be the first track on the album. Its opening lyric is, “It’s six o’clock …”

The Edge’s voice is then drowned out as Bono blasts the volume on his jangling guitar intro, just in time for the “Six o’clock” lyric. Bono sings along with himself for a moment, then turns the sound down again and looks back at the guitarist and smiles sarcastically...

Profile - USATODAY.com
:hmm: But then again as Bono also said in that interview "These are just first drafts", which could mean that they've changed the first song/single choice or just omitted the six 'o clock song altogether since then. I mean the first track of the album has also been the first single the last couple of albums (Discotheque, Beautiful Day, Vertigo).

Bono explains that numbers are significant in each of the new songs...

hmmmm. sounds pretty cool. the title is great, and the mere fact that recording has been so low key compared to htdaab makes me think that this album will be a keeper.

Daniel Lanois Interview:

:hmm: But then again as Bono also said in that interview "These are just first drafts", which could mean that they've changed the first song/single choice or just omitted the six 'o clock song altogether since then. I mean the first track of the album has also been the first single the last couple of albums (Discotheque, Beautiful Day, Vertigo).

nowhere in the French article does it say that Cedars of Lebanon is the first song or single - it was a google mistranslation :)

(but it could be though for all we know)

nowhere in the French article does it say that Cedars of Lebanon is the first song or single - it was a google mistranslation :)

(but it could be though for all we know)
I see, I don't understand French very well.
I thought perhaps the first post which I quoted was a summary of what it said. Seems like it didn't then.
Thanks for clarifying that mama cass. :up:

270l.jpeg

istockphoto_3764973_cedar_of_lebanon.jpg

Cedar_of_Lebanon.JPG

60010414.JPG

:hyper: new joshua tree :hyper:

I see, I don't understand French very well.
I thought perhaps the first post which I quoted was a summary of what it said. Seems like it didn't then.
Thanks for clarifying that mama cass. :up:

no probs! :)

I love the title!!! Something different! U2, please surprise us! Please! Please!

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Sounds interesting. I just hope the talk of JH doesn't send people into fits when/if Edge doesn't play a 5 min bluesy solo. Also wish we could hear that the album is done, instead of almost finished.

I do like how this album seems to be very quiet in regards to hype. Obviously there is hype, but we're not getting constant quotes from Bono/Edge like we did last time. Seems like Danny has been chosen as the spokesperson for this album so far.

The fact that he's saying it's very innovative, and new sounds should be very promising. At the very least, if the album doesn't turn out that way, people won't go after Bono and his hyperbole. It'll be directed at DL instead :)

Back
Top Bottom