New Rolling Stone Bono interview/article about SOE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In this article Bono talks about a brush with immortality. Does anyone know what he is talking about there? Supposedly it is something other than his bicycle accident. I realize that it is actually not anyone's business but his. I'm just curious to know if any other info of what happened with him was made public.

It wasn't enough ruining America? These people are relentless.

Yep I was thinking the comment section was hacked by Breitbart. The underbelly of America speaking their minds. My favorite so far is "Three words Bono...Shut up and sing" That about sums that crowd up!!

Yep I was thinking the comment section was hacked by Breitbart. The underbelly of America speaking their minds. My favorite so far is "Three words Bono...Shut up and sing" That about sums that crowd up!!

I like the idea that people like U2's music so much their willing to put up with his politics and hear him sing.

But we know that's not the case because these are garbage people with nothing better to do with their lives.

That's a good one, my own personal favorite is this one:

I had several friends who attended his concert in New Orleans last week. They had to leave after an hour because all this idiot did was sing one of his ancient songs and then pontificate on politics, climate change, etc. for 15 minutes between the song. They said it was unbearable

"All they did for an HOUR" = 1 song and a 15 minute rant. Hmmm . . do they have a 45 minute "ancient song" in their catalog?

Funny enough, I was at the New Orleans show and nothing at all like this occurred. The person is either greatly exaggerating what their friends told him, or more probable -- lying their ass off.

The thing is, having posted what he/she did, whoever reads it will spread it around like it was the Gospel, incorporating that lie into their arsenal of attacks on Bono in particular and U2 in general.

Talk about "fake news."

Somebody claimed Bono was "pontificating" about climate change? Hmmmmm. Has he been doing that this tour? I'm not convinced.

I mean, I'm sure U2 cares about the environment and all, but aside from a brief flirtation with Greenpeace, that kind of activism has never really been their thing as a band. They skipped Al Gores big concert (can't remember what it was called now), Planet Aid or whatever it was called, and if I recall the reason was b/c Bono didn't want U2 to to be known as a crusader for every cause.

Africa, sure. But I don't remember a lot of talk about the environment at the JT show I went to.

Soooooo, supporters of a crappy Z List celebrity gameshow host, one who cannot pronounce Namibia, tell respected A List celebrity to shut up and sing? okay, sorry deplorables that one doesn't work anymore...

I always find it funny how my fellow Americans tell people who are not from here to shut up and they cannot tell us what to do. Yet we trounce around the world like an uninvited guest spewing our beliefs.

Last edited:
My favorite so far is "Three words Bono...Shut up and sing" That about sums that crowd up!!

I found myself thinking the same thing when I saw Bono in Indy a couple weeks ago.

I don't feel particularly strong about poltics/polticians at all. I know that having Donald Trump as our president gives me a very uneasy feeling, but as a rule I think that all politicians are crooked and are chasing the money. But I don't know what it was about it, but his American ass-kissing and political preaching were really getting on my nerves. It's like he has returned to Vertigo Tour-like preaching. It's like the guy (Bono) who is in love with the girl (America), and he is just overly gushing about how perfect and beautiful she is, and all his buddies are saying "Damn man... Ease up... BE COOL!"

I found myself thinking the same thing when I saw Bono in Indy a couple weeks ago.

I don't feel particularly strong about poltics/polticians at all. I know that having Donald Trump as our president gives me a very uneasy feeling, but as a rule I think that all politicians are crooked and are chasing the money. But I don't know what it was about it, but his American ass-kissing and political preaching were really getting on my nerves. It's like he has returned to Vertigo Tour-like preaching. It's like the guy (Bono) who is in love with the girl (America), and he is just overly gushing about how perfect and beautiful she is, and all his buddies are saying "Damn man... Ease up... BE COOL!"

:facepalm:

Please tell me you didn't find yourself thinking the same thing. I know you can count.

I have always considered u2 to carry a somewhat middle road or neoliberal, prop up status quo politics. Very Bill Clinton/Tony Blair/George W Bush. Very much capitalist. I don't understand the reputation they get plied with. It's not like they get up there and talk about income redistribution, the vast injustices capitalism imposes, stagnating social mobility in developed countries, subjugation of people in undeveloped countries by corporations in developed ones, or even environmental justice. They are not a left-wing band by any stretch.

Heck, one of their biggest partners since 2000 is Apple...which is as capitalist as they come. I mean yeah, they preached against apartheid in the 80s, but who didn't?

Last edited:
I have always considered u2 to carry a somewhat middle road or neoliberal, prop up status quo politics. Very Bill Clinton/Tony Blair/George W Bush. Very much capitalist. I don't understand the reputation they get plied with. It's not like they get up there and talk about income redistribution, the vast injustices capitalism imposes, stagnating social mobility in developed countries, subjugation of people in undeveloped countries by corporations in developed ones, or even environmental justice. They are not a left-wing band by any stretch.

Heck, one of their biggest partners since 2000 is Apple...which is as capitalist as they come. I mean yeah, they preached against apartheid in the 80s, but who didn't?

:facepalm: so sad

Name one thing incorrect about the post you were replying to. One single thing.

Or is it just the tone you don't like?

Without getting too deep into the politics of capitalism and how he HAS spoken to some of these issues in relation to his work with Africa, the aligning of U2 and George W.

Despite getting friendly with W for his work with Africa, I don't see how one goes about lining U2 up with him politically.

Without getting too deep into the politics of capitalism and how he HAS spoken to some of these issues in relation to his work with Africa, the aligning of U2 and George W.

Despite getting friendly with W for his work with Africa, I don't see how one goes about lining U2 up with him politically.

Exactly. During the Bush years I mostly remember U2 for their big empathy with America post 9/11 and working on the various charity campaigns. Now, Bush the first, that I remember being about politics, kind of (the video into to the DC shows ripping cuts of him set to "We Will Rock You" as the Iraq war broke out).

I agree with this observation. Bono actually seems to think things over first instead of automatically spewing the popular liberal opinion of the moment.

Back
Top Bottom