New Demos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not to pick 'nits', because I basically get what you're saying but they're all 'yes-men' in the end with U2. Burton just needs to push them to have CONFIDENCE in what they are doing. And to not change it at the last minute...again. Go with the vision and sink or swim with it.

Sure, Eno and Lanois have 'fought' with them (relatively speaking) every time they've recorded with them. But ultimately they work for U2. Producer influence (short of actual writing collaborations) with U2 is highly exaggerated.

In fact, it's highly exaggerated in general - in rock. Artists get what they put into it and the producer produces what was produced - by the musicians. So unless the producer is one of them, that influence can only be so great. I mean, if it's Phil Spector and he's producing and he's also writing the song - that's one thing. But if it's Rick Rubin, he's just there to listen, really. Those are two extremes, but I'm just trying to say - U2 - are the ones that have to have the goods. If they don't have the goods, production won't matter.

Well, if you know anything about U2 you know that Lanois is sort of considered the 5th member of the band in the studio. Not to pick nits. Lanois fought them on Acthung Baby the whole way. He fought them for the wrong reasons (thought they were making a mistake not going with the JT sound). But it caused Bono and Edge to push even harder in the other direction. This is WELL documented. That is one of the reasons it is a great album. U2 have produced 2 complete albums IMO. JT and AB.

FTR, I love that when the band speaks of Lanois they invariably use the word "beautiful".

If Boner is actually playing songs out his balcony in France i would take that aw a very good sign... and that we may actually have an album by the fall.

I know its been a while since the last album... but its only been a year and a half since the tour ended. So as much as i want an album this year, i won't very stunned if we have to wait till next year.

Who's Boner?

He's that fat guy with the glasses.

Ah, I see. Drew Carey is funny indeed.

364px-JackNicholsonMar10.jpg

I just saw this on Facebook and haven't listened to it yet. It's from the same guy that had the last supposed "leaked jam session" so I'm not optimistic, but here it is, anyway:

Another New Leaked U2 Jam Session - 2013 (10 Reasons To Exist/Songs Of Ascent) - YouTube

EDIT: I've listened to it now, and it's something I've never heard before, but I'm not totally up to speed with all the tidbits out there from soundchecks. The guitar was too repetitive and got on my nerves a little.

I've heard that clip 2 years ago or something. It's from the tour sometime, can't remember when though.

You can see that evolving into something quite powerful and rock-y - don't know if I'd call the basic riff any kind of 'departure' for them, but I suppose anything could happen with the arrangement. That is where NLOTH fell down for me. The songs where they concentrated on an interesting and different arrangement (MOS, COL, Fez) are the real enduring ones for me.

I just saw this on Facebook and haven't listened to it yet. It's from the same guy that had the last supposed "leaked jam session" so I'm not optimistic, but here it is, anyway:

Another New Leaked U2 Jam Session - 2013 (10 Reasons To Exist/Songs Of Ascent) - YouTube

EDIT: I've listened to it now, and it's something I've never heard before, but I'm not totally up to speed with all the tidbits out there from soundchecks. The guitar was too repetitive and got on my nerves a little.

Anaheim 2011 soundcheck from IEM, torrented a year or so ago. Nothing new.

Anaheim soundcheck 6/17/11. I have 40 minutes of this. They start with that "new song", then they cut away and practice actual songs, then they come back to it.

The Rubin sessions were interesting but I think would have produced a VERY mediocre album. It just was not the U2 way of doing things and it was just not quite a good fit.

I think they should have gone with Daniel Lanois with limited input from Eno like they did with Achtung Baby. Daniel likes to butt heads with them in the studio without Eno there all the time to offset that, it seems to produce music with more grit.

I have a bad feeling Danger Mouse might be a "yes" man with U2. They seem to need someone to fight with them in the studio to produce their top notch stuff. :shrug:

Super cautiously optimistic though for the next album. At this stage if there are 5 or 6 really good songs I will be ok with it. Not expecting another full album masterpiece.

Danger Mouse is a good idea ; the team of Eno/Lanois has worn out its magic and so has Lillywhite. Time for new faces.

It's time to dream it up again, or roll over.

We REALLY need some new music to talk about, and fast. I'm sick of seeing every other thread turning into a debate about how Boots was the wrong first single and the how the middle three songs ruin NLOTH.

Danger Mouse is a good idea ; the team of Eno/Lanois has worn out its magic and so has Lillywhite. Time for new faces.

It's time to dream it up again, or roll over.

Says someone that has not heard anything they have done with DM. There is no way you can say it is/was a good idea at this point. It might be, but to say it like it is fact at this stage is ridiculous, sorry. Could be great, could be the worst decision they have made. We will know soon. I'm cautiously optimistic like I said. But I would be more optimistic if it was Lanois in there with them. :shrug: My "opinion" not fact.

Says someone that has not heard anything they have done with DM. There is no way you can say it is/was a good idea at this point. It might be, but to say it like it is fact at this stage is ridiculous, sorry. Could be great, could be the worst decision they have made. We will know soon. I'm cautiously optimistic like I said. But I would be more optimistic if it was Lanois in there with them. :shrug: My "opinion" not fact.

trying to shake things up sounds like a good idea to me.. I think this is all u2girl is saying..

Back
Top Bottom