New Daniel Lanois Interview (10/24/2008) New: (11/15/2008)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For me I just hope clip #4 is on the album or else it will haunt me for the rest of my life :(

Ditto. It may not be a classic U2 rocker, but that chorus is massive and shouldn't be wasted.

I couldn't care less if the president of the record label is singing like a bird. That's not a good thing. It means it's a commericial record with mass appeal. Fair enough. But I thought we were in for a "new" sound, and a"reinvention" again. I don't need "Kid A" but I don't want "HTDAAB Pt.2" either.

By the way, Lanois is an egotistical man who, surely, deserves credit for alot of the U2 things he's done, but surely not as much credit as he gives himself. (Joshua Tree behind the record interview anyone?):eyebrow:

Lanois has never come across that way to me. I'm not one for well-worn cliches, though. :sad:

I disagree. That chorus reeks of cheese. And not the good kind.

This quote is made even sillier by the fact that listeners have not been able to even decipher the exact lyrics here.

And if U2 can pull off "It's a Beautiful Day" than I'm pretty sure a dark, sexy beast track 4 won't qualify as "cheese" for them.

True.
I remember they posted the lyrics and title of BD before we heard the tune, and I was like,,,,"Oh NO"....:huh:
But then the tune came out and the world was happy.:cute:

It might've been u2.com, but I think I heard about it first here.
(surprise).:love:

New Brian Eno Interview (11/02/2008)

Brian Eno (11/02/2008):

"I was always very much inspired by the visual arts and music of the Arab world. We made some of the new U2 album in Fez, Morocco. It was a fantastic place to work and we recorded quite a lot of Arabic music. But in the end, I could never make it sound like more than a sprinkling; it just sounded a bit artificial. What did remain with us was the structural approach to music in the Arab world, using different combinations of the orchestra as a way of producing colours, which is something close to my heart.

I’ve almost stopped listening to recorded music now. I’m quite bored with it. But I love going to shows. I get so many more ideas from watching people playing and seeing things go wrong. Nothing ever goes wrong with records anymore; it’s so easy to fix it all. When people fix it, what they actually do is make it sound more normal. I’m anti-fixing at the moment."

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20081103/ART/194792493/-1/SPORT

Last edited:
Brian Eno (11/02/2008):

We made some of the new U2 album in Fez, Morocco. It was a fantastic place to work and we recorded quite a lot of Arabic music. But in the end, I could never make it sound like more than a sprinkling; it just sounded a bit artificial.

Brian Eno lives in real time - The National Newspaper

Interesting. It does sound like they ultimately scrapped a lot of ideas that came out of the Fez sessions. There were rumours going around a few months back that this was the case. :hmm:

Sad to hear they scrapped the Arabic influences, I hope not all of it is gone, there could easily be some of it on the album. I'll be glad if they don't exaggerate it. It should sound authentic, not artificial.

True.
I remember they posted the lyrics and title of BD before we heard the tune, and I was like,,,,"Oh NO"....:huh:
But then the tune came out and the world was happy.:cute:

On the flip side, I've read some really great lyrics and pictured some amazing life changing tune only to be extremely disappointed.

I guess you can't judge a song by its lyrics.

As I posted in the other Daniel Lanois thread, I was just listening to the radio (102.1 The Edge) and they're going to feature an interview with Daniel Lanois at 6:15pm; the dj said they will ask about the upcoming U2 album. It didn't sound like they'll be airing a repeat interview...

Anyway, the website is 102.1 the Edge if interested.

He said he's going to meet up with U2 in England in two weeks and that should wrap things up.

He also said the 2 weeks he worked with him earlier (in the past month or so?) were the 2 most productive weeks ever for him.

He said he's going to meet up with U2 in England in two weeks and that should wrap things up.

He also said the 2 weeks he worked with him earlier (in the past month or so?) were the 2 most productive weeks ever for him.

Awesome! The album is done in 2 weeks.

We might get a tracklisting sometime in December. :pray:

I think we've heard about a half dozen times already that the album is "finished". Hopefully this time it's for real.
Looks like it's a March release a la Pop, which was expected, because I didn't believe the January rumour for an instant.

so did he say "single" in March or "album" in March?

having not heard it i couldnt tell ya but, i'm not so certain it'll even be up to him anyway. If it's all wrapped up in 2 weeks, then it's very feasible the album can be out in March. hard to imagine them sitting on a completed (audio wise) album until April-June, but that's also feasible too. if they get tracklisting, etc. everything sorted out by January 1, then that gives them 3 months to promote, hype, shoot the video(s), book everything etc., and we get a single March 1 and the album April 28th or something. Who knows. Either way something in the spring will happen. As anticipated...

he wasnt very clear.. it seemed the dj was trying to force an answer out of him. the dj asked something like "so, we'll hear the new single in march?" and lanois paused, said "uh, sure that sounds right"
that seemed to me, the gist of it

All of U2 are in London right now, the band was at an event yesterday eveneing.

I didn't hear the interview, but I REALLY hope that it's March for the album, not the single. If they're wrapping up right now, March for the single seems like a very long time. And IF it should be that way there is NO way U2 will tour next year. So let's hope we'll have a single earlier than March.

Anything else about the new U2 album in that interview?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom