New Bono Interview..... Irish Independent (New 12/28/2008)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had this conversation when the beach clips leaked.

The song Bono is talking about is Boots.

I don't remember an exact number, but it was at least 150bpm, because we were trying to find something faster. I Will Follow is in the ballpark.

We had this conversation when the beach clips leaked.

The song Bono is talking about is Boots.

I don't remember an exact number, but it was at least 150bpm, because we were trying to find something faster. I Will Follow is in the ballpark.

You like to drink alcohol from a boot. It's all a big circle.

Irish Independent Interview: first track is 150 BPM, Bono nervous about new album

A quote From the Irish Independent 28th Dec 2008.

Talking to Bono:-

So could he sum up the album in three words for the fans who have yet to get the pleasure? "It's very long," he said with a laugh.

"My favourite song is a song called Moment of Surrender, and the first track is 150 BPM, the fastest song we've ever recorded," he said, beaming with a glint in his eye behind his trademark blue glasses.

A quote From the Irish Independent 28th Dec 2008.

Talking to Bono:-

So could he sum up the album in three words for the fans who have yet to get the pleasure? "It's very long," he said with a laugh.

"My favourite song is a song called Moment of Surrender, and the first track is 150 BPM, the fastest song we've ever recorded," he said, beaming with a glint in his eye behind his trademark blue glasses.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f196/new-bono-interview-new-12-28-2008-a-191776-5.html

if this song is 150bpm can anyone let us know what other U2 songs come close to this? I have a feeling this is the updated Punk track of the title of the album

Just listened to a sample of a song played at 150 bpm and it was dance music, I now believe the song that starts will be Crazy Tonight? (pop tune?)

Just listened to a sample of a song played at 150 bpm and it was dance music, I now believe the song that starts will be Crazy Tonight? (pop tune?)

NO CHANCE

it's either the punk version of No line on the horizon or first single get on your boots

Beats per minute became common terminology in popular music during the disco era because of its usefulness to DJs, and remain important in dance music.

In this context the beats measured are either crotchets (quarter notes) in the time signature (sometimes called down-beats, although the term is ambiguous), or drum beats (typically bass-drum or another functionally similar synthesized sound), whichever is more frequent. Higher BPM values are therefore achievable by increasing the number of drum beats, without increasing the tempo of the music.

Hip hop typically uses a BPM tempo of 80-100, while house music is faster around 120-135 bpm (from regular house music to UK Garage), and Jungle music generally ranges between 150-190 bpm (with some differences in older compositions). Speedcore and Gabber music exceeds 200 BPM, with an underlying crotchet tempo of around 4000-5288.

Beats per minute became common terminology in popular music during the disco era because of its usefulness to DJs, and remain important in dance music.

In this context the beats measured are either crotchets (quarter notes) in the time signature (sometimes called down-beats, although the term is ambiguous), or drum beats (typically bass-drum or another functionally similar synthesized sound), whichever is more frequent. Higher BPM values are therefore achievable by increasing the number of drum beats, without increasing the tempo of the music.

Hip hop typically uses a BPM tempo of 80-100, while house music is faster around 120-135 bpm (from regular house music to UK Garage), and Jungle music generally ranges between 150-190 bpm (with some differences in older compositions). Speedcore and Gabber music exceeds 200 BPM, with an underlying crotchet tempo of around 4000-5288.

so basically larry is gonna be beasting it on this track??

okay---

bpm is the same basic concept as 'MM' (maezels metronome) is on orchestral scores. It's an indicator to the performer of the composers intended speed of the music.

break it down like this:

60bpm - MM = 60 so if the beat is being subdivided into 4, then the beat that gets the count is quarter note. so there are 60 quarter notes in a minute...get it?

120 bpm would be double time... and 150 would be about 25% faster than that.

In academia, one can pull a fairly accurate 60bpm from a heartbeat or watch with a second hand.

I hope that helps...

for added reference and fun:

When love comes to town- 114 bpm

sweetest thing - 74bpm

Speed doesn't necessary have much to do with anything though ;) it's all stylistic choices that add to the music ;) Then again, I'm probably not a fair judge ;) hehaha

Electric co comes in at 168 bpm

--edit-- according to the score. Performance wise, It may have slowed.

New interview: "Is Bono nervous about the new U2 album? You bet"

Courtesy atu2.com and the Irish Independent:

Is Bono nervous about the new U2 album? You bet
Irish Independent, December 28, 2008
Niamh Horan

Bono may have upstaged everyone at the opening of the Leopardstown Racing Festival, but not even the U2 frontman could halt the decline in betting turnover at the famous Christmas meeting.

Fresh from Christmas dinner in Dalkey and his victory over An Taisce, who tried to stop his rooftop extension, Bono was among the first to arrive at the Dublin race meeting.

He was there enjoying a well-earned break after putting the finishing touches to U2's latest album.

"Sure, you're always nervous, but we've gone at it as if it was our first and the critics who have gotten a chance to listen to it already have all said it's the best yet" Bono told me, referring to the album No Line On The Horizon. " We're going after the younger audience this time too," he revealed.

Before he left he gave me a gentleman's kiss on the back of my hand.

Over at the bar, ordering hot whiskies, was millionaire property developer Johnny Ronan, who said he had received "about 10 copies" of The Builders as a present this Christmas but hasn't got around to reading the book -- in which he features -- just yet.

Outside in the parade ring, businessman and gambler JP McManus received his prize after his horse pipped Ryanair's Michael O'Leary's nag at the post.

When I enquired how it felt to beat the Ryanair boss by a hair's breadth, he gave me a smile and a very politically correct comment. "It's great to win any race."

O'Leary himself wasn't at the races. He was busy planning his own photo finish against Aer Lingus.

Still in the Leopardstown winners' enclosure, former Taoiseach Albert Reynolds stood joshing with RTE's Colm Murray.

"You taught me everything I know," said the sports commentator.

"You taught a lot of people everything they know. Sure look at Brian Cowen, he wouldn't be where he is today without you, would he?" Another politically correct smile spread over another flushed face.

Also enjoying the day's action was Dublin businessman Charlie Chawke, who said, rather optimistically, that "Sunderland is going to win the league", as he headed off with his son.

But while everybody was in good spirits, the betting ring was feeling the pinch.

The Tote reported a drop of approximately 20 per cent in turnover at the traditional holiday race meetings in Leopardstown and Limerick.

This year, race organisers made the decision to do away with the reserved enclosure area for "equality purposes", according to Horse Racing Ireland's Michael O'Rourke.

And despite all the talk of a downturn, it seems to have paid off, with attendance hitting almost 17,000 -- slightly down on last year.

(c) Independent, 2008.

Back
Top Bottom