New album promotion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awwww, I want a U2 teddy!!!! :cute:

Unless you are Super Duper Petite the U2 Teddy won't fit in the lunch box or Cracker Jacks box so you will have to buy your own teddy and use a Mac to create your own "iron on Teddy patch" which you could later replicate and sell on eBay for like lots of money -- maybe enough to afford tickets to the 2009 tour (-:

It's going to be old school & old media promotion:
Metal lunch boxes
Toys in cereal boxes
Surprises in Cracker Jack
First 1,000 to enter Yankee Stadium get a Bono bobblehead.

That sort of stuff.
Not too far fetched. I actually have a u2 sticker from a cereal box. I think it was "Captain Crunch." And then there's always the auction Edge and Bono lunch boxes.

Unless you are Super Duper Petite the U2 Teddy won't fit in the lunch box or Cracker Jacks box so you will have to buy your own teddy and use a Mac to create your own "iron on Teddy patch" which you could later replicate and sell on eBay for like lots of money -- maybe enough to afford tickets to the 2009 tour (-:

Damn! Then make larger lunch boxes! :waiting:

OK, I'll take the U2 playmobile figure collection as well. :D

I've changed my mind. I'd prefer less press to too much, or that such press be respectable. I think it was pretty cool back then, when U2 never appeared on SNL and I'd especially detest the ipod tie-in. I've been a Mac user all my life, but that Steve Jobs guy really annoys me; he tries to act so cool.

I suppose what bothered me more about how U2 used itunes was in charging a hefty price on the entire back catalogue (and you just know they were leaving stuff out), and not letting people just buy a track. All these gimmicks. Old U2 were beyond that kind of profiteering.

So, let's have some press but not too much, and keep a lid on Bono's insecure ego; I miss the thoughtful man who didn't care much about appealing to the lowest common denominator.

I've changed my mind. I'd prefer less press to too much, or that such press be respectable. I think it was pretty cool back then, when U2 never appeared on SNL and I'd especially detest the ipod tie-in. I've been a Mac user all my life, but that Steve Jobs guy really annoys me; he tries to act so cool.

I suppose what bothered me more about how U2 used itunes was in charging a hefty price on the entire back catalogue (and you just know they were leaving stuff out), and not letting people just buy a track. All these gimmicks. Old U2 were beyond that kind of profiteering.

So, let's have some press but not too much, and keep a lid on Bono's insecure ego; I miss the thoughtful man who didn't care much about appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Why should a rock band worry about being respectable and as for being cool Bono is more interested in being "hot". Cool was never something they aspired to and in ignoring what was cool they ended up defining it in many respects. The band has always done plenty to promote themselves and the main reason they avoided TV was because they were crap at it in their own words. They've shown they are no longer crap at doing TV so no reason for them not to do it. The ipod tie in was something they went after because they like the ipod. You keep trying to shove U2 into the typical indie rock notions of 'authenticity' and 'cool' when Bono has been very vocal all along in rejecting those ideas.

$149.00 is by no means a hefty price for what you got in this collection. As for the comment about knowing they were leaving stuff out, you must not have ever looked at what was in the set. To help you out here's a link to a pretty comprehensive review of the set.

The Complete U2: The World's First Digital Box Set | U2 news article from @U2

Even if you only consider the unique tracks which number 202 you are paying less than $0.75 per song. If you count all 445 you are paying $0.33 per song. How is this in anyway a hefty price?

Dana

I don't know which Bono you are referring to, but the Bono I've watched over the years has always been interested in making it BIG, and he's admitted it many times, even in the early years.

U2 is a big band, therefore they'll have big promotion. It's been some time since they last released an album, so people outside the fan community have to be reminded. I don't care if they go on TV shows, it's always good to see new performances. I just with they'd do more stuff in Europe.

I'm curious what the next months will look like promotion-wise.

They've been attached to Apple for a while, actually:

YouTube - U2 - Apple Commercial - rare

What they charged their audience for their entire catalogue (with the exception of covers and misc songs) was way less than what I have spent in the past. I've spent way more money on eBay and at independent record stores and at regular stores throughout my life on their albums and cds.

I remember before Zooropa came out I picked up Boy, October, and War at "Musicplus" for $16.99 each on CD. I remember how I had to actually save up for them and also beg my father to give me a ride to the music store.

How times have changed.

I'm not sure that this is an actual commercial. My understanding was that this was a mockup done in the style of a series of commercials that Apple had done. I've never heard of any other official Apple commercial besides the Vertigo ipod ad.

Dana

Correct - that is not a real Apple commercial. But it's fun to watch!

:drool:

I'm not sure that this is an actual commercial. My understanding was that this was a mockup done in the style of a series of commercials that Apple had done. I've never heard of any other official Apple commercial besides the Vertigo ipod ad.

Dana

Oh, my mistake then.

At this point in 2004 we were certain of Vertigo being either the album name or the first single, as well as How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb being used somehow. We also had the release date I think. Some of that was via internet investigation - i.e., domain names registered. But I assume we should get a slew of information like this soon, and plenty from the band. Promotion machine should be in full swing soon- and let's not kid ourselves- it's U2. Even if they keep the promotion hush hush, the hype around the first single will be massive.

btw, I wanted to comment on the album name news etc., in comp to 2004 and didn't really know what other thread to put it in, so sorry if it's vaguely off topic.

to stay on the current topic as well, I don't mind all the TV Appearances. They amuse me, and it's another opportunity to see them play live. It's neat.

to stay on the current topic as well, I don't mind all the TV Appearances. They amuse me, and it's another opportunity to see them play live. It's neat.

Exactly....I agree :up:

But why do people even worry about U2 playing on TV?...I don't get it....:huh:

btw, I wanted to comment on the album name news etc., in comp to 2004 and didn't really know what other thread to put it in, so sorry if it's vaguely off topic.

I sure hope it starts soon....I mean we really don't know anything except a general release date and some song titles...that aren't even official

I dont see why it would start that soon
the first single will probably appear around September
the album November

if they already start the marketing campaign now people will be sick by it by the time the album will be released

I would like a definite release date
but I can wait

Exactly....I agree :up:

But why do people even worry about U2 playing on TV?...I don't get it....:huh:

I don't get this either. So many bands from the Beatles, Mamas and Papas, The Doors, to Nirvana, The Police, Hole, etc. have been on TV. In other words, you name the band, there's a good chance they were on TV. It's a great way to promote one's work and allow lots of fans to see you perform.

Also, U2 were on TV a lot in the 80's - just not U.S. TV. So them being on TV more recently isn't new.

I don't get this either. So many bands from the Beatles, Mamas and Papas, The Doors, to Nirvana, The Police, Hole, etc. have been on TV. In other words, you name the band, there's a good chance they were on TV. It's a great way to promote one's work and allow lots of fans to see you perform.

Also, U2 were on TV a lot in the 80's - just not U.S. TV. So them being on TV more recently isn't new.

I don't see what's not to get about it. People enjoy watching footage of their favorite acts. When they make a new appearance on TV, that's some new footage with pro sound and video to enjoy.

I don't see what's not to get about it. People enjoy watching footage of their favorite acts. When they make a new appearance on TV, that's some new footage with pro sound and video to enjoy.

Jimmy, I think doctorwho was agreeing with me...he too doesn't get why people are put off by U2 performing on TV.

starting to think that a big announcement should be imminent.
Oasis release an album in October with a single in Sept and artwork and tracklistings have been announced today. Surely U2 should be very close behind?

starting to think that a big announcement should be imminent.
Oasis release an album in October with a single in Sept and artwork and tracklistings have been announced today. Surely U2 should be very close behind?

Naw... U2 are never as straightforward as their peers.

Back
Top Bottom