New album promotion - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #31
War Child

Local Time: 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by last unicorn View Post
Awwww, I want a U2 teddy!!!!
Unless you are Super Duper Petite the U2 Teddy won't fit in the lunch box or Cracker Jacks box so you will have to buy your own teddy and use a Mac to create your own "iron on Teddy patch" which you could later replicate and sell on eBay for like lots of money -- maybe enough to afford tickets to the 2009 tour (-:

BWU2Buffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:57 PM   #32
Val
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWU2Buffs View Post
It's going to be old school & old media promotion:
Metal lunch boxes
Toys in cereal boxes
Surprises in Cracker Jack
First 1,000 to enter Yankee Stadium get a Bono bobblehead.

That sort of stuff.
Not too far fetched. I actually have a u2 sticker from a cereal box. I think it was "Captain Crunch." And then there's always the auction Edge and Bono lunch boxes.

Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:38 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWU2Buffs View Post
Unless you are Super Duper Petite the U2 Teddy won't fit in the lunch box or Cracker Jacks box so you will have to buy your own teddy and use a Mac to create your own "iron on Teddy patch" which you could later replicate and sell on eBay for like lots of money -- maybe enough to afford tickets to the 2009 tour (-:
Damn! Then make larger lunch boxes!

OK, I'll take the U2 playmobile figure collection as well.
last unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:38 AM   #34
War Child

Local Time: 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
They'll play at the AFL Grand Final because they love Australia.
luna_lovegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #35
Refugee

I've changed my mind. I'd prefer less press to too much, or that such press be respectable. I think it was pretty cool back then, when U2 never appeared on SNL and I'd especially detest the ipod tie-in. I've been a Mac user all my life, but that Steve Jobs guy really annoys me; he tries to act so cool.

I suppose what bothered me more about how U2 used itunes was in charging a hefty price on the entire back catalogue (and you just know they were leaving stuff out), and not letting people just buy a track. All these gimmicks. Old U2 were beyond that kind of profiteering.

So, let's have some press but not too much, and keep a lid on Bono's insecure ego; I miss the thoughtful man who didn't care much about appealing to the lowest common denominator.
Muldfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #36
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Isn't it obvious?

Yankee Stadium before it closes.
Yes, please.
Joey788 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Isn't it obvious?

Yankee Stadium before it closes.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (My backyard)
OrARoundabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:20 PM   #38
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldfeld View Post
I've changed my mind. I'd prefer less press to too much, or that such press be respectable. I think it was pretty cool back then, when U2 never appeared on SNL and I'd especially detest the ipod tie-in. I've been a Mac user all my life, but that Steve Jobs guy really annoys me; he tries to act so cool.

I suppose what bothered me more about how U2 used itunes was in charging a hefty price on the entire back catalogue (and you just know they were leaving stuff out), and not letting people just buy a track. All these gimmicks. Old U2 were beyond that kind of profiteering.

So, let's have some press but not too much, and keep a lid on Bono's insecure ego; I miss the thoughtful man who didn't care much about appealing to the lowest common denominator.
Why should a rock band worry about being respectable and as for being cool Bono is more interested in being "hot". Cool was never something they aspired to and in ignoring what was cool they ended up defining it in many respects. The band has always done plenty to promote themselves and the main reason they avoided TV was because they were crap at it in their own words. They've shown they are no longer crap at doing TV so no reason for them not to do it. The ipod tie in was something they went after because they like the ipod. You keep trying to shove U2 into the typical indie rock notions of 'authenticity' and 'cool' when Bono has been very vocal all along in rejecting those ideas.

$149.00 is by no means a hefty price for what you got in this collection. As for the comment about knowing they were leaving stuff out, you must not have ever looked at what was in the set. To help you out here's a link to a pretty comprehensive review of the set.

The Complete U2: The World's First Digital Box Set | U2 news article from @U2

Even if you only consider the unique tracks which number 202 you are paying less than $0.75 per song. If you count all 445 you are paying $0.33 per song. How is this in anyway a hefty price?

Dana
rihannsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:06 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:40 PM
Quote:
I don't know which Bono you are referring to, but the Bono I've watched over the years has always been interested in making it BIG, and he's admitted it many times, even in the early years.

U2 is a big band, therefore they'll have big promotion. It's been some time since they last released an album, so people outside the fan community have to be reminded. I don't care if they go on TV shows, it's always good to see new performances. I just with they'd do more stuff in Europe.

I'm curious what the next months will look like promotion-wise.
last unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #40
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:40 AM
Maybe SF this time
The_One1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:09 PM   #41
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:40 AM
Quote:

They've been attached to Apple for a while, actually:

LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #42
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
They've been attached to Apple for a while, actually:

I'm not sure that this is an actual commercial. My understanding was that this was a mockup done in the style of a series of commercials that Apple had done. I've never heard of any other official Apple commercial besides the Vertigo ipod ad.

Dana
Old 07-13-2008, 04:05 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

What they charged their audience for their entire catalogue (with the exception of covers and misc songs) was way less than what I have spent in the past. I've spent way more money on eBay and at independent record stores and at regular stores throughout my life on their albums and cds.

I remember before Zooropa came out I picked up Boy, October, and War at "Musicplus" for $16.99 each on CD. I remember how I had to actually save up for them and also beg my father to give me a ride to the music store.

How times have changed.
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rihannsu View Post
I'm not sure that this is an actual commercial. My understanding was that this was a mockup done in the style of a series of commercials that Apple had done. I've never heard of any other official Apple commercial besides the Vertigo ipod ad.

Dana
Correct - that is not a real Apple commercial. But it's fun to watch!

LyricalDrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:20 PM   #45
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalDrug View Post
Correct - that is not a real Apple commercial. But it's fun to watch!

Yeah, I actually thought it was great and fit perfectly and I wouldn't have a problem with it if it was real.

Dana

Tags
new album, promos, promotion