New album out by October??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gibbo

The Fly
I was at HQ thursday and Friday.

Waited outside thursday from 11 am till about 3 30 pm when Sam came out.

He said about the band being very busy and that they wouldn't be coming out as they have a very tight schedule for the album release.

It has to be ready for October were his exact words.

So whether thats the release or when the record company get's it who knows?

Oh and I went back later and met bono and edge so I'm glad I persisted.

Friday we could hear some of a 'song' being played it was mostly typical edge jangly guitar but sounded good even through the HQ door!

I shall post a thread later in the band sightings thread once I have my pics uploaded.

Great news! Most of us have been expecting an October release, but it's nice to hear that there's greater basis for this than precedence itself.

Late August

If the album is out in October, we might get to hear the first single in late August, If I remember correctly the 30 second clips for ATYCLB were leaked in late August

theyve definitely been trying to keep this thing underwraps this time around, which just makes me want to hear this album more!
So tour in the spring??

I'm leaning more towards a November release. Right in time for the holiday shopping season. Plus, usually the most anticipated releases of the year come out then.

Hey, the earlier the better, but I think the album will be released sometime in November.

All this 'confirmation' is great news, yet August,Sept, Oct, Nov...next year even, who cares, as long as its a great album...:pray:

What's the Grammy's cut-off? I expect the lead single before it and album after it so that the band cover two cycles.

i would have thought that "ready for October" means that they need to give the album to the label for them to get it out mid-November, same as has been said, at least we get an album this year 100%, I expect to be hearing stuff around late August/early September... I know it's cynical but a band this size does look for the Grammy cycles, if they can fit it in to do this then they will. Not very Rock & Roll, but it is something that they've always been aware of...

Great news anyway!

What's the Grammy's cut-off? I expect the lead single before it and album after it so that the band cover two cycles.

Brutally cynical, but probably true. If the music is great then who cares though!

Does anybody feel that this album seems to have come together quicker than their last few albums? I mean, how much time did they really spend in the studio? Doesn't seem as much as in the past. Perhaps they have just kept a lower profile. I hope the songs aren't as forced and deliberate as HTDAAB and maybe things will be more 'liberated' this time around with less time spent on making it bombastic.

how about they do a "Radiohead" and put out a digital download album as soon as it's mixed and ready, with cd in stores in october? hehe

With the idiot manager they have that will never happen.

one can dream though eh? haha

ps - for what it's worth - i think paul mcguinness has been a fantastic manager for this band! especially when you think about all the sharks out there... they've been lucky to have such a good manager imo

I doubt they'll be looking for the 'Grammy cycle' for the album for this October, but I can see it for the first single. Haven't they traditionally gotten the album Grammy in the following year's cycle? IE released late in year X, and then October of year Y the album gets nominated? I dunno just going off memory...

I doubt they'll be looking for the 'Grammy cycle' for the album for this October, but I can see it for the first single. Haven't they traditionally gotten the album Grammy in the following year's cycle? IE released late in year X, and then October of year Y the album gets nominated? I dunno just going off memory...

If Eazy-V's right and 1 October is the cut-off, then if they release the lead single in August or September and the album in October or November, then the lead single will qualify for the Grammy's that are handed out in February 2009 while the album will qualify for the Grammy's that are handed out in February 2010.

That's what happened with both ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Since this is going to be another final quarter release, I see them doing exactly the same here and timing the release to qualify for both cycles. After all, if you're a band likely to be nominated in both cycles like U2 are and you are in a position to easily time your releases to qualify for both cycles, why wouldn't you? I may be cynical and dislike a lot of things U2/Paul McGuinne$$ do these days, but if the album's coming out around this time anyway, I don't see why the hell they wouldn't consciously do this.

Just looked it up on the Grammy site and the last day for eligibility for this years Grammy's is Sept 30. So they could release the single in August/Sept like they did with Beautiful Day and Vertigo then release the album as early as Oct 1 to cover both Grammy cycles and make the most of the holiday sales season. Since the remasters are coming out towards the end of July a late October release would give three months for the remasters before the album comes out which seems like a good spacing to avoid tromping the reissues too much. Also since new albums and tours tend to always pull their back catalog into circulation it will be good for a total of four remasters to be out before the tour starts. I wouldn't be surprised to see the next set of remasters coming out either around Grammy time or definitely by the time the tour starts. They could actually plan to have all the remasters making it out before the windup of the tour which would make the most sense financially. Since the record company really only profits from the actual albums and not the tour this would be the best strategy for them. It would seem that since the tour and merchandising are contracted to Live Nation the record company will possibly not have to bear the brunt of all of the promotion. Not sure how that is divided anyway but it would makes sense that the promoters would end up with a little more of the advertising expense since the record company would not be sharing in any tour profits.

Dana

I hope it is August, before I go back to university, otherwise I won't do my work properly!!!

Back
Top Bottom