New Album Discussion: Worthwhile, Informative, And Not Even Slightly Grating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if that little Irish combo U2 ever intend to release a new album any time soon, soon meaning in the next couple of years or so, just curious?

Actually I believe somebody did, I just can't recall who that was right now.

Shit who was that... ah man... hmm... :hmm:

Wait! I remember!

I still stand by that. Dropping the rehashing of chimes and cliche rock riffs of this decade ? Bring it on.

And the Edge always used to about more than mere chimes. At least until the last two albums.

Drop the chimes after rehashing said chimes to the self-parody level this decade ?

Yes.

Not forgetting "his entire career". There is a difference.

But then again, if you don't get it...

you too really need to have sex with each other.. the sexual tension is ridiculous

Edge is satisfying the 'U2 democracy' with the reverbed delay sound ("chimes"). From the part of Bono that wants "relevance" and to play to large stadiums to Paul, who simply wants and needs a Radio-Friendly-Unit-Shifter.

He uses delay on everything as well he should (because that is his signature) but we are talking about that certain clean sound (i.e. Unknown Caller).

He has fallen back to it because they want people to know it's U2.
It's calculated to be the 'U2 signature', not something that arrived naturally out of a jam. Because Edge, for the better part of 20 years, would try to mix it up as often as possible.

However, since they are branding themselves - since Beautiful Day - he uses it. As a naturally creative person, a musician who writes songs for a living, it is the natural inclination to believe he would rather do any number of other sounds than fall back to that artistically lazy spot. But he returns to the comfort zone to pacify the elements of the band that want to get played on the jukebox in their local pub or don't want to be 50-something and touring the world as a 'greatest hits act'.

It is this 'deal with the devil' that underscores each and every problem with U2 in the studio. They want their cake and get to eat it too. The problem is, whatever part of you that you sell for "relevance" eats away at other parts.

In order to galvanize that "chime" of delayed echoes as 'U2' and to push the brand of 'U2' as the "best rock band in the world", they have become the caricature of U2. And at least Bono is admitting it.

For as full of shit as he often is - and as ironic as it is (because he is a MASSIVE part of the caricature) Bono is the one guy in the band trying to push them into a territory away from that caricature.

Meanwhile, in order to pacify the Larry, Adam, Paul section of the band, IMO, Edge has reached a compromise with that signature sound.

Edge is only such a big part of that redundancy problem because they are all having to compromise so much to agree on what to ultimately do. Read between the lines in what the people close to them say, that don't need to politicize their words. Daniel Lanois was pissed because he was made to look like a bit of a fool, when they scaled back NLOTH and went a little more safe.

And they do it because Larry, Paul and Adam had managed, over these last 12 or so years, to suck in Edge.

The great irony (for me) is, as much as he's been a linchpin of embarrassment and a public relations detriment for the band, Bono is the only hope for the future of U2. And that is because he is the one guy to motivate Edge to rediscover his own nutsack and then to convince Crew Cut and Adam that this is the only direction they should take.

I suggest you all re-read U2 by U2 and re-discover who THE creative force behind this band really is. It's Bono. He's an ass but by God, they are as great as they are because of him. And I can't believe I am saying that after the last decade of cringe-inducing Bonoisms...but at least he's trying to give them a push. And Edge is the only other vital part of that reinvention that needs to take place. Adam and Larry should be incidental but unfortunately aren't. And the more 'say' they have, the less interesting U2 is.

Sorry if this is just another broken record slap at Larry and Adam.
But it's just so true, that it is amazing that more and more people don't wake up and smell the coffee. Every mistake they've made in the studio can be attributable to not wanting to take the risks. And almsot every truly brilliant thing they've done is because Bono had the loudest megaphone...and they listened to him.

Sorry for slightly derailing the current thread, but I met Danger Mouse today at the B&N at work at. He was a really cool person to chat with.

Of course, I asked him about the work he's doing with U2, but all he would say is that it's "ongoing". Didn't think he'd drop any big reveals but at least we know they haven't ditched him as a producer.

Sorry for slightly derailing the current thread, but I met Danger Mouse today at the B&N at work at. He was a really cool person to chat with.

Of course, I asked him about the work he's doing with U2, but all he would say is that it's "ongoing". Didn't think he'd drop any big reveals but at least we know they haven't ditched him as a producer.
Sorry to ruin your scoop, but we already knew they were continuing the collaboration as Adam said in a 28 October interview on BBC 6 that they would be back in the studio with Danger Mouse in January 2012.

Sorry to ruin your scoop, but we already knew they were continuing the collaboration as Adam said in a 28 October interview on BBC 6 that they would be back in the studio with Danger Mouse in January 2012.

DANG. That's a little harsh doncha think? I don't think Joey was trying to give us a "scoop", just saying he spoke to DM which is pretty cool. My, my Interf seems mighty touchy these days.

Edge is satisfying the 'U2 democracy' with the reverbed delay sound ("chimes"). From the part of Bono that wants "relevance" and to play to large stadiums to Paul, who simply wants and needs a Radio-Friendly-Unit-Shifter.

He uses delay on everything as well he should (because that is his signature) but we are talking about that certain clean sound (i.e. Unknown Caller).

He has fallen back to it because they want people to know it's U2.
It's calculated to be the 'U2 signature', not something that arrived naturally out of a jam. Because Edge, for the better part of 20 years, would try to mix it up as often as possible.

However, since they are branding themselves - since Beautiful Day - he uses it. As a naturally creative person, a musician who writes songs for a living, it is the natural inclination to believe he would rather do any number of other sounds than fall back to that artistically lazy spot. But he returns to the comfort zone to pacify the elements of the band that want to get played on the jukebox in their local pub or don't want to be 50-something and touring the world as a 'greatest hits act'.

It is this 'deal with the devil' that underscores each and every problem with U2 in the studio. They want their cake and get to eat it too. The problem is, whatever part of you that you sell for "relevance" eats away at other parts.

In order to galvanize that "chime" of delayed echoes as 'U2' and to push the brand of 'U2' as the "best rock band in the world", they have become the caricature of U2. And at least Bono is admitting it.

For as full of shit as he often is - and as ironic as it is (because he is a MASSIVE part of the caricature) Bono is the one guy in the band trying to push them into a territory away from that caricature.

Meanwhile, in order to pacify the Larry, Adam, Paul section of the band, IMO, Edge has reached a compromise with that signature sound.

Edge is only such a big part of that redundancy problem because they are all having to compromise so much to agree on what to ultimately do. Read between the lines in what the people close to them say, that don't need to politicize their words. Daniel Lanois was pissed because he was made to look like a bit of a fool, when they scaled back NLOTH and went a little more safe.

And they do it because Larry, Paul and Adam had managed, over these last 12 or so years, to suck in Edge.

The great irony (for me) is, as much as he's been a linchpin of embarrassment and a public relations detriment for the band, Bono is the only hope for the future of U2. And that is because he is the one guy to motivate Edge to rediscover his own nutsack and then to convince Crew Cut and Adam that this is the only direction they should take.

I suggest you all re-read U2 by U2 and re-discover who THE creative force behind this band really is. It's Bono. He's an ass but by God, they are as great as they are because of him. And I can't believe I am saying that after the last decade of cringe-inducing Bonoisms...but at least he's trying to give them a push. And Edge is the only other vital part of that reinvention that needs to take place. Adam and Larry should be incidental but unfortunately aren't. And the more 'say' they have, the less interesting U2 is.

Sorry if this is just another broken record slap at Larry and Adam.
But it's just so true, that it is amazing that more and more people don't wake up and smell the coffee. Every mistake they've made in the studio can be attributable to not wanting to take the risks. And almsot every truly brilliant thing they've done is because Bono had the loudest megaphone...and they listened to him.

Right on.

He needs to take control of U2 again.

you didn't say "this decade."

Right...except I did, at the start. It was, of course, repeated it after you kept insisting I was referring to his whole past.

Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase
you mean his entire career?

This one gets thrown around a lot. It's a dodge in the debate re: Edge's playing for most of this decade.

I mean the overt amounts of rehashing his sound for the last two albums. How many more Walk on / Crumbs from your table / Electrical Storm / Unknown Caller classic chimey riffs can there be ?

El Guapo : Edge and Bono always were the creative force in U2. I'd like to think Edge is not held hostage by Adam and Larry (certainly not McGuiness) to keep using chimes. I honestly think this is, for better or worse, what keeps coming to him for most of his decade.

That's good to know. :up: Thanks!

DANG. That's a little harsh doncha think? I don't think Joey was trying to give us a "scoop", just saying he spoke to DM which is pretty cool. My, my Interf seems mighty touchy these days.

The only one I see being touchy here is you, taking offence in a post which I didn't mean to come across as harsh in any way.

That being said, I think all of us need to be somewhat of a douche in order to survive the hard Interference culture. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom