New Album Discussion: Worthwhile, Informative, And Not Even Slightly Grating - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Niceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Apartment of Surrender...
Posts: 5,629
Local Time: 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwho View Post
While I know the chances of this are none to zero, what I'd love to see from U2 is a true double album. I don't mean like R&H, I mean a true 22 to 24 track release. The first disc could contain the more "rocking" U2 - showcasing their next direction. The second disc could be the highly experimental U2 - which may or may not showcase their next direction, but allows them to explore ambient sounds or songs that may not typically be under the "U2" heading. In other words, "Songs of Ascent" could be that second disc.

U2 have never released a true double album and I think now is the time to do so. If 22-24 songs are too much for them, then make in 20 or so (10 songs per disc). But make it the best of the 5000 songs Bono says they have worked on. Songs that are great but risky - disc 2. Great rock songs that they put up against anything they've released in the past - disc 1. Of course, fans will always argue about which song belonged on what disc and perhaps a b-side should have been included as well - but that's part of the fun.

But even I don't think U2 are brave enough to show that much. Given where they are in their careers, I actually think now is the perfect time to do such an event - take that risk, prove to everyone you can rock and experiment; write pop while still creating great art.
__________________

Niceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #107
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 21,018
Local Time: 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwho View Post
While I know the chances of this are none to zero, what I'd love to see from U2 is a true double album. I don't mean like R&H, I mean a true 22 to 24 track release. The first disc could contain the more "rocking" U2 - showcasing their next direction. The second disc could be the highly experimental U2 - which may or may not showcase their next direction, but allows them to explore ambient sounds or songs that may not typically be under the "U2" heading. In other words, "Songs of Ascent" could be that second disc.

U2 have never released a true double album and I think now is the time to do so. If 22-24 songs are too much for them, then make in 20 or so (10 songs per disc). But make it the best of the 5000 songs Bono says they have worked on. Songs that are great but risky - disc 2. Great rock songs that they put up against anything they've released in the past - disc 1. Of course, fans will always argue about which song belonged on what disc and perhaps a b-side should have been included as well - but that's part of the fun.

But even I don't think U2 are brave enough to show that much. Given where they are in their careers, I actually think now is the perfect time to do such an event - take that risk, prove to everyone you can rock and experiment; write pop while still creating great art.
Well they did have their chance when some in the band wanted to make a double album out of JT. (a good thing it didn't happen)

Considering how long it takes them to make albums post Zooropa, I'd rather not wait even longer for a double album.
__________________

U2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #108
Acrobat
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: belgrade
Posts: 369
Local Time: 03:02 PM
November 2013. Maybe after not before.
roy keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #109
Refugee
 
Hollow Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,222
Local Time: 10:02 AM
I second the double album idea! They should definitely do one, and release singles of alternate versions....do something mad and unfocused, just a bunch of songs, some good, some weird, some silly...a white album sort of thing.

U2: Turn off the decline - Music, Opinion, Columns - Toronto.com

The best article I've read about U2 in a very long time, despite some inaccuracies.
Hollow Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #110
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 31,228
Local Time: 09:02 AM
really?

ok.

i'll have to disagree on that.
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #111
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 64,453
Local Time: 06:02 AM
Quote:
But the dazzling technology and staging has somewhat overwhelmed the band itself on the past few tours
I'd call that one of the inaccuracies. I can't even imagine what staging overwhelmed the band on Vertigo or Elevation.

Quote:
Wouldn't it be a refreshing change of pace to see U2 go out on a small-venue tour again, or at least a stripped-down arena jaunt minus all the distracting bells and whistles where the music was placed front and centre again?
Seriously, did this guy sleep through the first half of the last decade?

Well gosh, now I can't stop pointing them out.

Quote:
“The right to be ridiculous is something I hold dear,” sang Bono on 2009's “Moment of Surrender,”
Ha.

Quote:
It would be nice to witness U2 having a laugh once in awhile and acknowledging the abject lunacy and excess of its situation
Yes, what a shame they're so dour and so serious all the time. It's like the talky bits of Rattle & Hum all over again! Except not.
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #112
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 66,434
Local Time: 06:02 AM
Quote:
It would be nice to witness U2 having a laugh once in awhile and acknowledging the abject lunacy and excess of its situation. That would be comfortingly humanizing.
Didn't watch the Tony Awards, I guess. That's OK, I suppose. Nobody else did either.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #113
Refugee
 
Hollow Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,222
Local Time: 10:02 AM
Well, they have regained and amplified their seriousness this decade, and everything Bono says sounds like a rehearsed soundbite that is supposed to be "profound". They do seem inhuman these days, more so than any band I can think of. They used to seem like actual people, not so much these days. Which isn't to say they aren't, they just don't show that side anymore. They should show their humour, because they are funny.
Hollow Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #114
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 64,453
Local Time: 06:02 AM
Really? I don't get that impression at all.

Edit: I mean, I get the impression that they're funny. I mean that I don't think that they seem 'inhuman.'
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #115
Acrobat
 
patternshirt170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Long Branch, NJ
Posts: 396
Local Time: 03:02 PM
Vertigo 05/06 only looks stripped down compared with the recent 'beast' Elevation is as close to Love Town U2 as we've seen in recent years in its minimilism...

The no frills approach didn't hurt their mid period 84-89 and I am still amazed how watchable that Denver 1987 footage is in R&H, sans screens, East German cars, oversized fruit and claaaaws..

Yes, he got the wrong song but even the fan can't nab the title in one, oops;

"what a shame the Toronto Star didn't find someone to write about U2, who actually gets it right. For example, why does Ben mistake a line from "I know I'll go crazy" for "Moment of surrender"? "
patternshirt170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #116
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 64,453
Local Time: 06:02 AM
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:07 AM   #117
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 66,434
Local Time: 06:02 AM
Perhaps he couldn't work out IGCIIDGCT's title, so he just settled on a simpler one. Reminds me of a Simpsons scene I like, as most daily occurrences do:

Quote:
Kent Brockman: Gualadala...uh...uhmpe... France.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:12 AM   #118
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,105
Local Time: 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
Well, they have regained and amplified their seriousness this decade, and everything Bono says sounds like a rehearsed soundbite that is supposed to be "profound". They do seem inhuman these days, more so than any band I can think of. They used to seem like actual people, not so much these days. Which isn't to say they aren't, they just don't show that side anymore. They should show their humour, because they are funny.
It seems you might be asleep at the wheel this decade.



But I do love the irony though.
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #119
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Utoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lovetown
Posts: 8,343
Local Time: 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon
Perhaps he couldn't work out IGCIIDGCT's title, so he just settled on a simpler one. Reminds me of a Simpsons scene I like, as most daily occurrences do:
There once was a time when i could relate anything to a Simpsons episode. I haven't watched them in probably a decade, so now all my references are ancient
__________________
Utoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
nirniva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Da U.P., eh?
Posts: 4,459
Local Time: 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
It seems you might be asleep at the wheel this decade.



But I do love the irony though.
Would you go so far as to say that the ironing is delicious?

 
This thread is now about Simpsons references.
__________________

nirniva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beach clip nostalgia, how 'bout that radiohead?, kitty emergency, li'l nelson mandela, new album in 2037, problem interference?, remastered thread, simpsons references, thread in crisis?, trollno, ze cabra ftw

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com