New Album Discussion: Worthwhile, Informative, And Not Even Slightly Grating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so it's "quite likely you might hear from us next year." but "equally possible you won't."

if it's equally possible then it's not quite likely, just logically speaking. i thought edge was the smart one!

Clever Edge. "hear from us" doesn't necessarily mean new music.

"hear from us next year" = "we'll continue to vaguely respond to questions about when our next album will be"

;)

... because you are tirelessly humorless. Sheesh.

"hear from us" doesn't necessarily mean new music.

Well...it does in the context of what he was saying. :shrug:

And it's better than loads of "we're getting lost in the music" comments we got from Edge before NLOTH.

I really believe the next will be a wildly ambitious record. Possibly wild pop ambitions, but ambitious and with a firm direction.

I guess that kind of thing is hard to put a date on. Loving classic ambiguous Edge, though.:cute:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/1022/1224306262022.html
Back to the future: 'The app format brings you back to that world of gatefold sleeves'

Looking back at the trauma of getting Achtung Baby on its legs and having to forge a new sound and identity, Bono says, “It’s actually worse for us now than it was when we went to Berlin.”

He shrugs off the fact that the band have just recorded the biggest-grossing live tour in the history of popular music and wonders whether U2 can still be relevant. “We can play the big music in big places. But whether we can play the small music, meaning for the small speakers of the radio or clubs, where people are living, remains to be seen,” he says. “I think we have to go to that place again if we’re to survive.

“There are so many U2 albums out there. We need a reason for another one. The whole point of being in U2 is that we’re not here to be an art-house band. Our job, as we see it, is to bring the art house to the mainstream; our job is to puncture the mainstream.”

Earlier, he was using an iPad with the Achtung Baby songs and videos on it. “That’s probably what our new album will look like,” he says. “I’ve been talking about this for the past four years.

“Our last album was the first album to be made available as an app with BlackBerry devices, but it didn’t work: the functionality was not what it could have been. New formats are going to happen. I’m always banging on about this. The app format brings you back to that world of gatefold sleeves, of being able to read lyrics – and [now of] being able to play the album at home on your plasma TV.”

Looking back at the trauma of getting Achtung Baby on its legs and having to forge a new sound and identity, Bono says, “It’s actually worse for us now than it was when we went to Berlin.”

Say what?

If that's the case, then the next album could be very interesting. Very interesting, indeed.

That might also explain Bono's frustration at the Clinton thingy: he's feeling pressure to do better and have more hits.

Good to hear him say a few good things about NLOTH!

I have every faith that U2 are going to pull off something amazing. They always do their best when they've got a fire lit under their ass. PLZ be in 2012!!!

“There are so many U2 albums out there. We need a reason for another one. The whole point of being in U2 is that we’re not here to be an art-house band. Our job, as we see it, is to bring the art house to the mainstream; our job is to puncture the mainstream.”

I haven't heard this talk in a LOOONG time. :love:

This sounds pretty much the way he talked before NLOTH as well. Doesn't seem anything special to me.

Though if they want to make a second AB? PLEASE be my guest! :love: That would be incredibly epic.

/butwillitberemastered?

I honestly think that NLOTH was U2's last album. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, that is just my honest gut feeling at this point.

That would be possible except for one thing. Bono would lose his vehicle for preaching to the masses. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom