New 30/45 sec. previews NLOTH! (Discussion Only!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How long until iTunes starts putting clips up, I wonder? I haven't studied this but I don't think their clips are as religiously plucked as the prior two evidently were, WRT the track time.

Well, he's posted in request threads for NLOTH and the "leak" very recently.

So he doesn't have the album.

Really liked FBB though.:drool:

45 Second Clip discussion thread

I doubt I will be giving in and listening to them, only thing keeping me is the fact that we will get to hear the title track tomorrow. I gave into temptation once w. the 30 second clips, dont regret it, but it was against my better judgement if that makes sense!

Anyways, I dont want to be completely unexposed to the new clips, so I am hoping those who have heard them can talk about it in this thread.

I would be very interested to hear: 1.)Are they just extensions of the 30 second ones, i.e. in about the same place in the song?

2.)Do they reveal anything more?

I doubt I will be giving in and listening to them, only thing keeping me is the fact that we will get to hear the title track tomorrow. I gave into temptation once w. the 30 second clips, dont regret it, but it was against my better judgement if that makes sense!

Anyways, I dont want to be completely unexposed to the new clips, so I am hoping those who have heard them can talk about it in this thread.

I would be very interested to hear: 1.)Are they just extensions of the 30 second ones, i.e. in about the same place in the song?

2.)Do they reveal anything more?

Heya,

Everyone is pretty much already talking about them in this thread, thus the merge.

Basially they are the same as the Walmart clips but with an extra 5-7 seconds added onto them. So yeah they are basically just extensions of the 30 second clips.

If you're still holding out there is also this thread

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...e-still-holding-out-for-the-album-193178.html

Is it me or does anyone else think the snare on the intro of Magnificent is cut short by 2 or 3 beats?? Is it because the copy-paste job of the old and new clips?

Yeah the cut wasn't at the right place. A few of them have a little bit of a jerky transition but it's still nice to get the basic idea.

OMGZ!!! MAGNIFZIENT!!!

No really, if the song is as good as its intro....I think its going to rank somewhere around the heights of Bad and Streets.

:doh::doh::doh:

Haven't you heard? 2000's U2 is incapable of creating any music at the level of 1980's U2. It doesn't matter if GOD HIMSELF produces NLOTH. New U2 is bland, horrible, by the book, safe, shitty, poopy, CRAP. New U2 is not even worthy to live on the same planet as old U2. Doesn't matter how AMA-ZA-ZING Magnificent is, it is DOOMED by the fact that is was created post-Pop. We all know that EVERYTHING post-Pop is absolute tripe. :tsk:

All you fanboys and fangirls thinking that this new album might actually be pretty good are obviously Kelly Clarkson newbie fans who sing Vertigo as you walk to class and drive to work! HAHAHA! Who likes Vertigo? :shrug: It's such a simple, fun, rockin' song. Nobody likes those. I'd take Elvis Presley & America any day over Vertigo. Look around. U2 sucks.

:wink:

:doh::doh::doh:

Haven't you heard? 2000's U2 is incapable of creating any music at the level of 1980's U2. It doesn't matter if GOD HIMSELF produces NLOTH. New U2 is bland, horrible, by the book, safe, shitty, poopy, CRAP. New U2 is not even worthy to live on the same planet as old U2. Doesn't matter how AMA-ZA-ZING Magnificent is, it is DOOMED by the fact that is was created post-Pop. We all know that EVERYTHING post-Pop is absolute tripe. :tsk:

All you fanboys and fangirls thinking that this new album might actually be pretty good are obviously Kelly Clarkson newbie fans who sing Vertigo as you walk to class and drive to work! HAHAHA! Who likes Vertigo? :shrug: It's such a simple, fun, rockin' song. Nobody likes those. I'd take Elvis Presley & America any day over Vertigo. Look around. U2 sucks.

:wink:

Who is is Kelly Clarkson?

wow, the new clips are pretty different from the first set!

I think they are pretty much the same, except for a couple of seconds.

Listened to both set of clips yesterday and they are brilliant.

My favourites are still Snow and Cedars, because Bono's voice is amazing and I love the MDH feel.

Of course, Magnificent. UC and MOS are still mysteries, I'm curious about them, but I like the mood of those pieces.

Fez is still confusing me.

Against my expectations, I'm pretty excited about Crazy Tonight and found myself already singing along to it. Not so sure about SUC, but I like the lyrics. And I cannot get the title track out of my head, so great. :up:

Okay so I've had even more time with the clips...

We'll find out soon enough how the whole NLOTH song sounds, I'm really hoping it has that killer riff as I've stated for a millionth time. It will make it totally worth it even if the rest of the song isn't that great. That being said I'm digging the guitar, its not something they've done before I think.

Magnificent sounds like it could be a scorcher, both on the album and on the radio. That extra part of the intro in the 2nd set of clips really brings out the not-so-classic U2 part of the song.

We haven't heard enough of Moment of Surrender, Unknown Caller and Fez to make any judgement at all, but I'm looking forward to MOS and Fez because its stuff U2 hasn't done since Zooropa/Pop, and I already love the Unknown Caller chorus we heard in the Lanois movie.

Crazy Tonight sounds very ATYCLB-ish (right down to Bono not articulating the 't' in "its" when he says "its not a hill its a mountain"). I'd say that this song is the most classic U2 sounding, but its still not going back to 80s U2. Magnificent does have that 80s sound, but layers a lot of new sounds based on what I've heard.

I'm loving Stand Up Comedy because it has the funky guitar sound that Edge used during Popmart (like during Hold Me Thrill Me when Bono is singing "they want you to play Jesus..."). Makes me think that this tour might have more Pop stuff on it :hyper:

Breathe sounds like a modern, upbeat Bullet the Blue Sky. Bono hasn't done the story telling thing in a while so its cool that the last 3 songs are all about telling stories.

White as Snow and Cedars of Lebanon are not sappy Ballads. Theres some serious shit going on in those songs.

I think a lot of long-time U2 fans forget that while HTDAAB might not have been groundbreaking to them, they still managed to keep the formula fresh by searching for new sounds and new ways to do songs, and not going back to rehashes. Thats going to be the challenge for this album. I think after listening to everything thats been released so far it sounds like they are trying something new on every track except Crazy Tonight which is a good thing.

I'm not sure if this will be considered a masterpiece or if it will be better than HTDAAB but I think they nailed it in terms of making a cohesive album with common themes throughout the songs. The one issue with ATYCLB and HTDAAB is that there were some really sappy ballads on those albums, and maybe a few too many ballads. The only really slow ballads on NLOTH seem to be White as Snow and Cedars of Lebanon, and like I said before, they don't sound sappy, so things are looking up :up:

I think they are pretty much the same, except for a couple of seconds.

Listened to both set of clips yesterday and they are brilliant.

My favourites are still Snow and Cedars, because Bono's voice is amazing and I love the MDH feel.

Of course, Magnificent. UC and MOS are still mysteries, I'm curious about them, but I like the mood of those pieces.

Fez is still confusing me.

Against my expectations, I'm pretty excited about Crazy Tonight and found myself already singing along to it. Not so sure about SUC, but I like the lyrics. And I cannot get the title track out of my head, so great. :up:

first set of clips were the songs from the 45-75 second section of the song

the 45 second clips are from the 30-75 second section of the song

I have to say I'm really excited that every song except two (GOYB, SUC) is over four minutes long... and the fan reviews from Zootopia mentioned that the songs have a lot of twists and turns; they don't go where you expect them to... so as awesome as the clips are, they only give us a vague idea of what the songs are like. Means the album will still be quite a surprise :up:

Think this is going to be a really great one.
Have the same feeling as with AB...some songs really give me that driven haunting gloomy melancholical feeling...:hyper:

Remember the days when every second of every U2 song had something interesting happening in it? I've now heard 30+ seconds of every song, and the only one that sounds genuinely catchy to me is "Magnificent". But, even that sounds so plain. There is a frightening sterility to what I'm hearing from this album that I could never imagine coming from Achtung Baby or The Joshua Tree. Every second of those albums pops.

I think you could take any 20-second swatch of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" or "The Fly" and find interesting little organic harmonic events - sounds that collide with one another to create even more sounds that maybe aren't even technically there. I don't think you could find a 20- or 30-second clip from either of those albums where you're struggling to find something truly intriguing, some kind of depth. They sounded RICH and ALIVE. This sounds so synthetic and bland. Scary.
?????
Totally disagree

Listened to them just now.

I LOVE NO LINE ON THE HORIZON.
I love the way Bono just yells and shouts, it's really, really great. Might be my favourite song if it continues like this.

MAGNIFICENT
WHAT AN INTRO. Oh my god does it sound incredible.

Moment and Unknown Caller just got even more ambient and even better. Moment in particular really intrigues me.

Crazy Tonight is really wonderful, I thought I would hate it, but I sing along each time and I really like the lyrics.

Stand Up Comedy was at first a little worrying, now it sounds intriguing.

White As Snow sounds like a song I've heard before. Really layered. Beautiful track.

Breathe - I want to hear the chorus before I make my decision, but it sounds really intriguing. Funnily enough, what was once my favourite beach is now my least-favourite 45 sec clip.

Cedars is really good too, but I can't really tell where it's going from here.

So far:

FUCK YES, 3RD MASTERPIECE CONFIRMED

Think this is going to be a really great one.
Have the same feeling as with AB...some songs really give me that driven haunting gloomy melancholical feeling...:hyper:

Yes, exactly. The importance of that "feel" to this album cannot be overstated.

Back
Top Bottom