New 30/45 sec. previews NLOTH! (Discussion Only!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How do you guys hear anything at all? Sound is not working for me. What do I do wrong?
(Used 2 different pc's, IE 7 and 2 other browsers).

Thats it for me now!, i'll listen to NLOTH tomorrow, but i really cant see myself getting the leaked version, although it will be very vey tempting :(

^But Stand Up Comedy so much better now with those "love" being repeated in the background. :drool:

Remember the days when every second of every U2 song had something interesting happening in it? I've now heard 30+ seconds of every song, and the only one that sounds genuinely catchy to me is "Magnificent". But, even that sounds so plain. There is a frightening sterility to what I'm hearing from this album that I could never imagine coming from Achtung Baby or The Joshua Tree. Every second of those albums pops.

No way. Well I never really got into listening to the album version of JT that much, but when I started listening to AB (forced to by my brother who would give me rides to campus, which was near his work), I thought it was pretty flat. One, UTEOTW, Mysterious Ways and the Fly stood out but I hated other songs like Wild Horses, Zoo Station, Ultraviolet. Now I love the whole album, but I had a love/hate relationship for that album about the first 30 times I listened to it.

No way. Well I never really got into listening to the album version of JT that much, but when I started listening to AB (forced to by my brother who would give me rides to campus, which was near his work), I thought it was pretty flat. One, UTEOTW, Mysterious Ways and the Fly stood out but I hated other songs like Wild Horses, Zoo Station, Ultraviolet. Now I love the whole album, but I had a love/hate relationship for that album about the first 30 times I listened to it.

well said...same reaction i had when my sister made me listen...just couldn't get into it..now, those are my favs besides POP

While i'm pretty sure they will never come close to AB or JT again i think these clips are brilliant. There a freshness in these songs that it's absent from them in a little while. It's like when i listened to Spanish Eyes for the first time and it sound so fresh and diferent from JT but was sooo good. I wont use JT/AB for reference because it's almost impossible to reproduce those masterpieces. Songs like Streets, Bullet the blue Sky, One, With or Without you, So cruel are standouts in music history. They are pearls that maybe will never be matched by anyone.
I still believe that this could be their best album since AB.

Look I'm not one to judge by just clips, but I'm getting more and more nervous the more I hear from these clips. They're just not jumping out at me yet, except for Magnificent. Obviously, it's only part of a song so I'm still hopeful...but I'm nervous...

I definitely agree with you in that the songs don't "jump out at me".

But unlike you, I feel this is a good thing.

Some of the more ambient songs have a Radiohead vibe to them - that should definitely please those who adore Radiohead (and feel they are better than U2).

Also, based on these clips, I get a huge TUF sense from this album. If I had heard 30-45 second clips of the songs on TUF, I probably would have thought of "Pride" as the rocker and the rest as rather ambient songs, not knowing what to think of them. I might have been, as you wrote, nervous.

Yet TUF is an outstanding album.

Even if we went to JT and heard only 30-45 second clips of each song, we might think it was odd, especially for 1987. Some songs were slow, some screamed, some were very pop-like. It all depends on where the clip was taken. But, as we all know, JT is a brilliant album.

AB is the first time where U2 focused on both the album and song, IMO. They made more accessible songs, but also within the confines of an album. As a result, they were able to get 5 top 40 hits in the U.S. out of that album. And if we had heard 30 second clips there, I think we would all agree that most of the songs were more accessible (but not all).

With NLOTH, the vibe is back to TUF, something where I think we really need to hear the album to fully appreciate. GOYB is the equivalent of "Pride", in that it's the lead rocking single that also stands apart from the rest of the album, yet, somehow also flows.

If NLOTH is like TUF, we might not see super huge sales, but we will have one fantastic album. :yes:

What do you want these songs to do have sex with you?

To me this definatly sounds like the best material that theyve done in a very long time and that is a good start...I wont judge the record as a whole of course until I hear it entirely multiples of times.

Back
Top Bottom