Neil McCormick comments on NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Subnet, what about the new Snow Patrol don't you like? I like Final Straw more myself, but it's better than the last one. The last record just had too many slow songs for my taste.:reject:

I was just like, meh, not earth shattering, not at same sonic plateau as previous effort

and Killers Day & Age is meh, could do without the horns

You all are right.. MAGNIFICENT! Thats a great song man. And thats just hearing it bootleg. Im going to be blasting that song over and over when I get the new album. The song reminds me of the of the unforgettable fire album.

Shiny and glittering

blue%20no%20heat%201.74%20ct%20RD%20SL05.JPG

Subnet, I wasn't too impressed with Day & Age either. They haven't had a "great" album since Hot Fuss. I also think it's Brandon's singing. It seemed natural on the first record, but now it seems like he's forcing it.

Subnet, I wasn't too impressed with Day & Age either. They haven't had a "great" album since Hot Fuss. I also think it's Brandon's singing. It seemed natural on the first record, but now it seems like he's forcing it.

They haven't made a great album period

Three good ones but nothing that's overall great

Anyway

That review makes me excited, not all the positive stuff he says that's all subjective but the descriptions make it sound like this could be one really interesting album

I have a lot of faith in his review, but I remember him hyping HTDAAB as well...something about how they "really knocked it out of the park this time".

Just trying to keep my expectations in check. Think the band is trying to keep our expectations in check as well, which is why there is much more secrecy and quiet confidence surrounding this album (very reminiscent to the way Achtung Baby was rolled...i.e. very little press)

This reviews don't add to my excitement anymore; i'm excited enough. And in the past we have seen that Bomb didn't live up to the hype created behind it. I think we will get a fine album (Bomb wasn't a disaster after all, much better than Zooropa and Pop) and maybe some new excting sounds. I really don't expect a masterpiece.

The difference for me with Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree is that I never feel the need to skip any songs unless I want to hear something else at that particular moment. Every album after that theres songs i skip on purpose.

another disappointment for me is the new Snow Patrol album

have only heard the singles and thought they were a bit meh...

as for the Killers- the current album is pretty poor- easily the weakest of the 4 they have released- especially as they worked with Stuart Price- the genius behind Madonna's excellent Confessions album

OK we all know U2 will rule in 2009...I don't want to go off topic any longer than we need to.

But it's nice knowing U2 will be in "comparison company" in 2009

there's some right U2/Bono haters out there (see the comments after this article). It does frustrate me that they always hang their arguments on the same hooks (Bono's ego / "why doesn't he sell his mansion if he wants to save Africa...etc.etc).

But on the other hand I quite like the way U2 polarise people - it means they they don't exist in a grey / middle of the road arena. I've never seen such strong opinion about say Keane or Coldplay (who I quite like) or actually any other band I can think of. I think that despite the shite I'd rather be in a band that people have stong opinions about me rather than being "they're OK" or where shoulders are shrugged indifferently.

Bono can make me cringe alot of the time - but that's part of the package. People cringe at me sometimes it means we are human. The Bono haters wouldn't even give the music a chance anyway so as far as I'm concerend it's their loss. I for one am very very excited about the new album and I love Neil's article - thank you!!

Rant complete.

I heard that 2morrow we will get the cover from the new album & the final tracklist!

The unfortunate consequence of U2 waiting so damn long to release the album, and then wait even longer than usual to release tracklist and single information is that my reaction is less "ohhh new U2 :combust:" than it is "eh...about fucking time."

This is still nice to hear though.

there's some right U2/Bono haters out there (see the comments after this article). It does frustrate that they always hang their arguments on the same hooks (Bono's ego / "why doesn't he sell his mansion if he wants to save Africa...etc.etc).

But on the other hand I quite the wayU2 polarise people - it means they they don't exist in a grey / middle of the road arena. I've never seen such strong opinion about say Keane or Coldplay (who I quite like) or actually any other band I can think of. I think that despite the shite I'd rather be in a band that people have stong opinions about me rather than being "they're OK" or where shoulders are shrugged indifferently.

Bono can make me cringe alot of the time - but that's part of the package. People cringe at me sometimes it means we are human. The Bono haters wouldn't even give the music a chance anyway so as far as I'm concerend it's their loss. I for one am very very excited about the new album and I love Neil's article - thank you!!

Rant complete.

:up: Agree with everything there. Living in England there is definitely a lot of anti-Bono vibes around. It always makes me really annoyed, but then I remember its futile to get annoyed and most people aren't even up for giving the music a chance.

A case in point was my university student magazine that I briefly joined last year as part of the Music section. We were planning a feature about albums to look forward to in 2009 and when I mentioned U2, everyone turned really indifferent and uninterested which I just thought was fucking ridiculous considering they were supposed to be people interested in music. I left shortly after, it was a pile of shit magazine anyway :lol:

He must have been on crack comparing Crumbs to One. Thanks for the heads up. This is a very biased review on a crap album. I'm not so excited anymore.

While I don't really get the "One" reference, "Crumbs" is a great song, and McCormick was right about it being a great album. Seriously people. I know everyone has a difference opinion on Bomb but can we please give some credit where credit is due?

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb was ranked...

#1 Album of 2004 by USA Today
#1 Album of 2004 by Paste Magazine
#1 Album of 2004 by the New York Times
#2 Album of 2004 by the Los Angeles Times
#3 Album of 2004 by Live Daily
#4 Album of 2004 by Q Magazine
#8 Album of 2004 by Village Voice
Top 50 Albums of 2004 by Rolling Stone

Not to mention the album won 8 Grammys (the same number as MJ's Thriller). So you don't have to like it but McCormick wasn't alone in praising it in 2004...pretty much everyone was praising it.

If McCormick has no credibility because he liked Bomb then pretty much every critic has no credibility because most of them liked it as well...

Back
Top Bottom