neil diamond influences on u2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allbecauseofu2

Refugee
it may be just a couple examples , but i think the middle part of UC is very neil diamond-like. It could have been lifted from a early 70's diamond record with that melody. (i don't mean its a rip off, i mean it sounds like it). I mean the melody and the structure of the edge solo part. Not the solo itself so much and not the way bono sings it. That horn piece really makes me feel that way. Also, three sunrises from WAIA really sounds like a 80's neil diamond. Like the entire song in that case. anyone see this?

This may be the single strangest thread topic I've seen yet...

(I'm not knocking your topic, just saying...)

When I was a kid, my dad had a Neil Diamond's greatest hits album (on vinyl, of course) that had the cheesiest name I've ever seen: Diamond's Diamonds.

Well both Edge and Bono have mentioned Neil before...

I think it might just be the horns that trigger some kind of Neil Diamond thing for you, for I don't hear it and I've listened to a lot of Neil in my life.

The only influence I see is in AMAAW.

It seems you may be on to something.

Coming next: No Sweet Caroline on the Horizon -- A U2 Tribute to Neil Diamond.

I was named after a Neil Diamond version of a Joni Mitchell song. Me and Neil have a sorted past.

Yeah, but if you're named after "Chelsea Morning", that's pretty cool -- it's one of the greatest songs ever written!

(Or are we talking about another Joni song?)

and this was, hands down, the dumbest thing U2 has ever done on stage.

i agree. I mean i love the popmart tour, the lemon, the arch, the giant tv, toothpick and olive. Im okay with all of that, but neil diamond karaoke is just dumb shit. They could have played one of their own songs instead.

I have to be honest, I only noticed it because you brought it up (and usually these comparisons are inane) but the horn section melody is a little evocative of something from Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

At the same time, it also reminds me of other work with horns in it.
So I'd have to listen to JLS again, which I just might, I love it.

But yeah, generally speaking, Bono has a lot of Neil in him.

neil said in a interview he's a fan of u2. I think as far as a whole song goes three sunrises sounds like something neil did in the 80's. His attempt at modern pop back then.

like something from Neil's primitive or headed for the future albums. Something about the guitar melody in three sunrises reminds me of Neil's attempts to sound more modern in the 80's. Also, perhaps Neil is a great influence on bono as a singer. If you want a example, Neil's song "one by one" kinda reminds me of three sunrises.

I made it through about 15 minutes of JLS. I wasn't in the mood.
But I'll tell you this, the 6 minute version of 'Be' is one of his best songs, easily.

Bono's style of delivery in 3 Sunrises reminds me a little bit of Neil.
Generally speaking, I can't think of a song from the 80's off hand to compare it to.
Better to not try and go song for song, that's not the idea I see.
I see it merely as a stylistic, vocal influence.

But that may be just because they are both highly 'affected' voices.
Brooding, probably even overwrought. And it might not be an influence of Neil on Bono but rather a shared influence on both of them (Elvis comes to mind).

I am trying to think of a Neil song that Bono would sound great singing.
I love this song. Maybe it would fit Bono or not, just listen if you never heard it.
He's got a whole lot better shit than fucking Sweet Caroline, IMO.

YouTube - Rosemary's Wine Neil Diamond

My brother thinks Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses sounds like it could be a Neil Diamond song.

Back
Top Bottom