My Idea For The Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the tourist

Blue Crack Addict
U2 fundamentally would never do this. Never, not ever. But this is just my idea of something I think could work out very well if they did try it. I think the fans would probably like it, at the very least. Maybe I am completely wrong, though.

But what if U2 released an album that had two discs to it. Not a double album, per se, but just two discs. 16 songs, for instance, which could easily fit onto one cd.

But what if one disc were 11 songs of really good flowing atmospheric experimentation? Without ANY singles? And then the other disc, which would have 5 songs on it, would be the singles. And it's only sold as a package album (or the singles each individually as they're released). So you couldn't JUST buy the 5 song singles disc or JUST the 11-flowing songs.

I like the idea of U2's music flowing a lot--but a lot of times singles don't flow with a whole idea so well unless the whole album is singles. That's my idea of getting the flow and the singles both.

How about an 11 song atmospheric album and then 5 non-album singles? It would confuse a lot of people. And would rock.

It might be called an album and an EP in that case. I'd prefer them to push the boundaries between the atmospheric and singles territories and to make an album that could encompass both. But keep it to 45 minutes maximum. Brevity is the key.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Why not? That would avoid the filler like 'One Step Closer' and keep the quality control up. If there was a low limit on what could go on the album, then it'd have to be truly great to make it. You might even get a few good B-sides out of that too then, since there'd be more good stuff left over. No need for an overly-long, rambling effort when a more focussed, concentrated approach always yields better results (see almost every great album every made).

the tourist said:
U2 fundamentally would never do this. Never, not ever. But this is just my idea of something I think could work out very well if they did try it. I think the fans would probably like it, at the very least. Maybe I am completely wrong, though.

But what if U2 released an album that had two discs to it. Not a double album, per se, but just two discs. 16 songs, for instance, which could easily fit onto one cd.

But what if one disc were 11 songs of really good flowing atmospheric experimentation? Without ANY singles? And then the other disc, which would have 5 songs on it, would be the singles. And it's only sold as a package album (or the singles each individually as they're released). So you couldn't JUST buy the 5 song singles disc or JUST the 11-flowing songs.

I like the idea of U2's music flowing a lot--but a lot of times singles don't flow with a whole idea so well unless the whole album is singles. That's my idea of getting the flow and the singles both.

I thought Passengers came out in 1995 already?
Seriously, if this is your idea, they've already done it with that album. Plus, U2 might be down with it, but the record company never would be. That's why Passengers was not an official "U2" release.

I'd prefer U2 try to make a "rock and roll" record" instead. I've got a feeling that the ambient stuff you're looking for just wouldn't cut it in a live environment.

I'd rather have a 16 song 70 minute album than an 11 song 45 minute album with 2 b-sides.

Moby Grape did this in the late 60's with their Wow/Grape Jam release. One was the expected Moby Grape album, and the other was a bonus filled with instrumental jamming. It would be nice if U2 could do something similar.

Re: Re: My Idea For The Album

MrPryck2U said:

I thought Passengers came out in 1995 already?
Seriously, if this is your idea, they've already done it with that album. Plus, U2 might be down with it, but the record company never would be. That's why Passengers was not an official "U2" release.

I'd prefer U2 try to make a "rock and roll" record" instead. I've got a feeling that the ambient stuff you're looking for just wouldn't cut it in a live environment.

Actually, I wasn't thinking Radiohead/Passengers experimentation. I was thinking more along the lines of a similar vein to the Unforgettable Fire. Just something that flows musically and thematically.

And if you think the record companies wouldn't be down with it, just ask the record companies who put out Porcupine Tree and The Mars Volta. Or, even on a less prog note/more dark pop note, Starflyer 59. And trust me--I'm sure U2 has more artistic license than any of those bands.

MrPryck2U said:
Tourist, you've been right all along when you said this is something U2 would never, ever do.

But it's something they should do. Seperate out the singles (since singles don't flow). Bono said the ATYCLB album was an album where all the songs were singles. Did it flow? Nope. Did Pride fit in with the overall Unforgettable Fire sound? Not really.

PookaMacP said:

Why not? That would avoid the filler like 'One Step Closer' and keep the quality control up. If there was a low limit on what could go on the album, then it'd have to be truly great to make it. You might even get a few good B-sides out of that too then, since there'd be more good stuff left over. No need for an overly-long, rambling effort when a more focussed, concentrated approach always yields better results (see almost every great album every made).

First of all not everyone thinks OSC is filler.

Secondly I don't think any artist should make time restraints, that's just crap, last album would have been a better if they weren't too worried it was too long.

the tourist said:

But it's something they should do. Seperate out the singles (since singles don't flow). Bono said the ATYCLB album was an album where all the songs were singles. Did it flow? Nope. Did Pride fit in with the overall Unforgettable Fire sound? Not really.

AB flowed and had 5 singles...

In fact it's probably the only album of theirs that flowed.

Even Better Than The Real Thing
One
Until The End Of The World
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

No flow.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

First of all not everyone thinks OSC is filler.

Secondly I don't think any artist should make time restraints, that's just crap, last album would have been a better if they weren't too worried it was too long.

I certainly don't think that the last album would have been better if they weren't worried it was too long. It was too long. My point about keeping the time limit down is to keep the quality up. I really do think that an 11-track album is much better than a 16-track album on almost every occasion - it keeps it short and sweet. Even the White Album, which I love by the way, has a lot of filler and would have benefited from being shorter. My point is simply that a shorter space leaves less time for things to go wrong, bad tracks, etc. If you want to go into the Radiohead comparison, look at OK Computer, which Radiohead themselves have admitted is probably two tracks too long, or Hail to the Thief which is dragged down by virtue of its overly long nature too. In U2 terms, would Pop not have benefited from losing 'Playboy Mansion'?

This is all subjective, of course, and the songs that one might drop are subjective too, but I think that keeping something tight, both in theme, in flow, and in structure, helps it a lot. It's like writing a book: why say something in three words when one would be better?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Well like so many things "flow" is mostly subjective...

This I definitely agree with you on. Isn't that what makes music and the art so great - subjectivity that is, rather than flow!

the tourist said:

I don't agree with this - why can't singles flow? 'Pride' certainly sounds like it belongs to me, as does 'The Unforgettable Fire'

Pride belongs on unforgettable fire- it provides a soft transition from the hard rocking feel of War to the more ambient, atmospheric UF. Pride just lets us in easy- a rocker that seeks to take us to a place and provide us with an understanding and image of something- in this case, someone who sacrifices their personal pride for a cause greater than themselves and in the process, inspires a movement. Almost an updated New Year's Day. Bono said once before a live performance of wire(either San Fran or Toronto, both on youtube) that "there are 2 sides to the unforgettable fire" and he is right: Pride, Wire, ASOH, Bad as atmospheric rockers and MLK, UF title track, EP and America, Promenade, Indian Summer sky are more ambient, abstract and 'flowing' As for the next album, Pop was their weakest, but it was not a bad album- U2 has never put out a bad album, not in the least little bit, and now that they are older and have gotten back their biggest band in the world title, they feel that they need to live up to it- they are not doing it for fun or money- as Larry often says, and Adam as well, they are still not satisfied, still feel they can do better work in their careers. Larry said in an interview with anti U2 critic Jim Deregatois from Chicago Sun Times that, with respect to him and his colleagues, when it is time for U2 to get the bullet in the head, they are more than capable of doing that themselves. In short, I'm not worried, I trust these guys, they are all genuine people who would not be working on another album unless they knew they still had it. They have too much respect for themselves and their fans. We are getting a new sound, I'm 80-90% sure of that, so I'm a little anxious/nervous, but I have every bit of confidence that they will put out something unique, revolutionary and yet distinctly recognizable as U2! It will be an excellent album, well received by critics, the industry and fans alike. If I were a betting man, I'd be willing to bet on that at this point in the spectacular career of U2!

LemonMelon said:
Moby Grape did this in the late 60's with their Wow/Grape Jam release. One was the expected Moby Grape album, and the other was a bonus filled with instrumental jamming. It would be nice if U2 could do something similar.

James did the same thing with Laid - they released Wah-Wah, which were more experimental tracks and versions from the same Eno sessions. I would love U2 to follow this plan.

PookaMacP said:

I certainly don't think that the last album would have been better if they weren't worried it was too long. It was too long.

That was in reference to the removal of Mercy off the album, apparently it was removed "last minute" due to the band thinking the album was too long. This is what happens when you make these imaginary time constraints.

ahittle said:

James did the same thing with Laid - they released Wah-Wah, which were more experimental tracks and versions from the same Eno sessions. I would love U2 to follow this plan.

Yes they were recorded at the same time, but two completely different studios, and released sepearately.

PookaMacP said:
This is all subjective, of course, and the songs that one might drop are subjective too, but I think that keeping something tight, both in theme, in flow, and in structure, helps it a lot. It's like writing a book: why say something in three words when one would be better?
I'm listening to vinyl a lot - mostly because you get less music on a record - it just doesn't last so long.
I hate the way CDs just drone on for bloody hours and you stop caring.

Brian Eno, 1996

the tourist said:

kramer_low_flow_shower_head.jpg

Low flow.

tourist, it's a great idea dude! Best of both worlds, UF type atmospheric album and singles CD. :rockon: Anything taking inspiration from Porcupine Tree has to turn out excellent!

U2girl said:

If you are referring to this...

Zootlesque said:
Anything taking inspiration from Porcupine Tree has to turn out excellent!

...I was part joking. But I do like PT's soundscapes and U2's own soundscapes like in the UF title track!

No, the first post in this thread.
Why release an atmospheric album and singles all on the same disc when you can do it separately ?

U2girl said:
No, the first post in this thread.
Why release an atmospheric album and singles all on the same disc when you can do it separately ?

He said 2 discs. Not the same one.

Back
Top Bottom