My choice for producer for the next album (and it's not Rick Rubin)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gotta be Eno and Lanois. To me, it's crazy to dislike what they do... They brought us The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. You want to dislike them for ATYCLB? Just because they went that direction for one album doesn't mean they're suddenly Adult Top 40 producers.

Second choice would be Brendan O'Brien.

Third, Bob Rock

Fourth, Rubin

Absolute last (tied) Flood, Jacknife Lee & Howie B as they are responsible for some of the worst watering down of songs in U2's catalog.

Nigel Godrich is really good with ambient, but not the best with rocking. I think it'd be cool to bring him in for post-production, or for a song or two, but Eno and Rubin would be fantastic.

personally I think that getting Godrich in would smell more like opportunistic behaviour than compiling 9 best of albums

personally I don't see a need for other producers
perhaps John McEntire (Tortoise) would be cool though

I like the suggestion of a hip hop producer, but I think I'd rather see Timbaland than Kanye. He's got no real rock precedent but he's just a genius and would at least give us a surprise.

I still think Godrich is the best suggestion overall, and the notion that he can't produce rock is bullshit. Radiohead's output for the last 10 years hasn't all been electronic stuff; songs like Myxamitosis, 2+2=5, Knives Out, Electioneering all show that he knows how to handle the regular stuff. He did a great job on Beck's most recent album, which was pretty diverse stylistically, and if that's where Nigel's at right now he's still sounding good to me. Every artist I've heard him work with has been brought to the highest level of performance: Beck on Sea Change, Pavement on Terror Twilight, and of course Radiohead.

That he's already done some work in collaboration with U2 makes me wonder if he has ever been offered to work on a full album, because I can't imagine them not being impressed by his work.

Snowlock said:
Gotta be Eno and Lanois.

Well, it definitely won't be Eno. Believe it or not, he's announced that he will be producing the new Coldplay album.
He says it will be 'very original'. I guess that means that for once it won't sound like U2?

From NME today:

Brian Eno has revealed he is to produce Coldplay's fourth album.

Billboard reports that Eno revealed the news in an interview with BBC Radio 4's 'Front Row', and says the new material "will be very original and very different from what they've done before".

Coldplay are currently holed up in their recently purchased London studio, having started arranging the follow-up to 2005's 'X&Y' last October.

Guitarist Jonny Buckland last year revealed to NME.COM that the band started writing the new album as soon as they completed 'X&Y'.

The band will showcase the new material to fans on their Latin American tour, which kicks off on February 14 in Santiago, Chile.

The hip hop thing is a bad idea. Bono himself said that Irishmen can't dance. The whole thing would come off as clumsy and would be dated in a couple years.

I wouldn't be adverse to handing over a finished product for a remix project, but it would be disastrous to hook U2 up with Timbaland or Kanye. I'm sure they know this as well.

I don't think the next one will be a rocker in the vein of Vertigo, so I hope they get someone that will stretch them outside their bubble. I imagine keywords for the next album are "Beatle-esque" and "symphonic" and "baroque."

Hey, what about Scott Litt, the man behind Automatic for the People? That is a fine sounding record. I think the boys should concentrate on making a deep, lasting record.

ahittle said:

I don't think the next one will be a rocker in the vein of Vertigo, so I hope they get someone that will stretch them outside their bubble. I imagine keywords for the next album are "Beatle-esque" and "symphonic" and "baroque."

That's how I'm guessing the next album will be.

I would love something in the vein of GBHF, Stateless, Mercy, Smile, "402" from the beach clips.

Back
Top Bottom