My choice for producer for the next album (and it's not Rick Rubin)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
djerdap said:

That's the beauty of Pop. Its rawness and the fact that it is not polished enough. I love it.

And that's perfectly fine. I just can't stand listening to the album. I mean, please, don't get me wrong, I love most of the songs on Pop, and their live performances are often mind-blowing, but I just can't listen to the actual album because of the production. It just sounds "off" most of the time. They don't necessarily sound like demos, but it sure sounds like somebody doesn't know what they're doing behind the console.

Lancemc said:

And that's perfectly fine. I just can't stand listening to the album. I mean, please, don't get me wrong, I love most of the songs on Pop, and their live performances are often mind-blowing, but I just can't listen to the actual album because of the production. It just sounds "off" most of the time. They don't necessarily sound like demos, but it sure sounds like somebody doesn't know what they're doing behind the console.
Exactily!

Utoo said:

Eno is more of the cold, analytical professor type. I read most of his published diary & you kinda get the feeling that he's uber-creative, but a bit of a dick. The comments in U2 by U2 seem to fit that description...
That's BS. Yeah, he's very professor like but it's also well documented that he's an absolute riot to work with. Very friendly guy by all accounts with a surreal sense of humour (probably one of the reasons why he and Bono get on so famously).

U2 should produce their own album but they should have Lillywhite or Gavin Friday around to kick their asses into to gear and stop talking it to death and record the bloody songs. They are perfectly capable on the production end, what they really need are people to keep them from going off on tangents and nitpicking things to death. Zooropa was great because Edge working on production kept him from disappearing into never never land forever.

Dana

I want a producer who isn't interested in making pop songs. Someone with soul, vision, and able to cut through the bull shit.

My dark horse candidate to be the next producer: Prince.

hey great choice saying Prince, but that will never happen:) I was a Prince concert in 2001 and he slated U2, just by making anisde comment about them during the concert, I don't think he is a great admirer of their music.

How about Kevin Godley from 10cc as next producer? I know he direct music videos more these days, but I bet that would be interesting and U2 are big fans of 10CC stuff and maybe some of Godley & Creme's work.

Thanksandy said:
hey great choice saying Prince, but that will never happen:) I was a Prince concert in 2001 and he slated U2, just by making anisde comment about them during the concert, I don't think he is a great admirer of their music.

Funny that Prince would slag them off, as he's played live with Bono ...

Godrich is a brilliant producer and I'd love to see him work with U2 as well, I've been sying that for awhile now.

Lancemc said:

really? i always felt that Pop had some of U2's best production. there are certainly rough spots, but overall I prefer the sound of Pop to most other U2 records. I like the richness of the many layers of sound.

NYU apparently disagreed with my analysis and rejected me, so maybe I'm not the person to talk to about production.

Zooropa and ATYCLB both have better production though...I don't much like the production on Stuck but the band wanted it that way I presume. the rest of the album really sounds great. not too loud or sharp at all, unlike Bomb. the 80's stuff is a little too quiet and muddled, but that was part of the atmospheric quality. JT has pretty good production I'd say.

I'd be happy with Rubin or Godrich. Eno/Edge would be a good combination too, or Lanois and Edge, or Eno and Lanois. but not Lillywhite because I think he was at least partially responsible for murdering Bomb.

I would never want to see u2 produce their own record, maybe Edge co-produce something. But that's it.

I like what Rubin has done with WITS, and he did a good job on Saints. Keep em.

AtomicBono said:

NYU apparently disagreed with my analysis and rejected me, so maybe I'm not the person to talk to about production.

Did you write about the glory of Pop as your college admissions essay? :ohmy: That's almost as daring as the guy who wrote one word for his.

if it was up to me, i'd leave Eno out of it.
he is a respected producer, but enough with the soft rock thing,
give us a rocking album, that can go on tour as it is!!!

I don't really understand the difference between Edge producing and Edge being just in U2. Is he not going to give a level of input and direction if he isn't 'producing'?

NO ENO. If you're looking for a change in sound, he won't provide it, as ATYCLB attests.

No Godrich either. He probably wouldn't change the band's sound all that much anyway.

I'm 100% in favor of a Rubin & Edge collaboration. :drool:

intedomine said:
Kanye West

:yes: He is a brilliant producer.

Lancemc said:

Welcome to my world, except replace Pop with Achtung Baby.

I'm in favour of somebody new... If that means Rick Rubin than so be it. I would really love it if they went for something completely left field, like Kanye West or Dr Dre or another hip hop producer. I don't even like hip hop but I'm sick of the same old producers, they always seem to play it safe.

Quite honestly though they can have whatever producer they want as long as they change up their sound for the next album, we are due for a change IMO...

schnumi said:
Guys what about bringing Flood and Howie B back onboard.... :reject:

I think if they wanted to go that route, they should just go all the way and get Kanye West or Dr. Dre.

Kanye West + Bono...Imagine the ego clashes. :cute:

Bono has specifically said that he wants space around the vocals with just acoustic guitar. Listen to Sufjan Stevens's "John Wayne Gacy Jr.," ignoring the subject matter, and you'll see that this is where Bono wants to go. (Sufjan produces his own stuff.)

they should just hire some kid who has an illegaly downloaded copy of pro tools to just record them.

that would be so revolutionary.

I liked what Rubin did with U2 so far so I'm confident it will be a well produced record but I would love to see Steve Lillywhite producing a future U2 album. I think if they want raw, Steve seems to be the guy to go to, since those 3 first records were raw as hell yet well produced and they have learned quite a bit aout producing so they would know how to add a new touch to it. at the same time I wouldn't mind a Rubin-Lilliwhite partnership actually with Eno and Lanois whowing up to give their opinions. That would be perfect actually.

Back
Top Bottom