Mos and breathe are candidates for future singles!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MOS certainly does NOT fit on regular radio.

I'd rather they released Breathe, Stand up Comedy and NLOTH after Magnificent. These songs are the ones I'd say have singles potential.

MOS is too beautiful to be on the radio. It's not for ears that are used to hear radio friendly tunes.

When WOWY first came out, I thought it was too beautiful to be on the radio. It sounded like it was coming from a different planet than everything else being played. But it became a huge, huge hit in a time when hair metal and sugary pop ruled the airwaves.

I'm not saying MOS will go to No. 1 if U2 released it as a single or even hit the Top 40, but it would give some additional exposure to an amazing song, and the band would be doing something to make radio worth listening to again. If everyone is afraid to release anything as a single that has more depth than a puddle, radio will continue its nosedive in quality. If anyone can afford to take a gamble, it's U2.

MOS would not be a radio hit
it just plods along

Breathe has some energy in it - the starting riff reminds me of Aint Got Nothing by Oasis

MOS is nothing like those songs,

How is it not? I don't want to discuss individual taste here. I don't care if you hate it too much for the radio or love it too much for the radio. Pretend you're a record exec, or Bono (who has a love for singles). You already released your rocking lead off single..

The Fly/Discotheque/Beautiful Day/Vertigo/GOYB

Now it's time for the "chart crushing" ballad. For some odd reason, U2 follows the old Mullet bands single philosophy from the late 80's, even though they didn't do it themselves that way back then. Those heavy metal bands would start out with their rock song. Then release the ballad as the 2nd or 3rd single. It was quite cookie cutter and U2 has done the same since AB. Wiki bands like Motley Crue, Warrant, Poison etc.

So if you are following this pattern (tightly or loosely is debatable I suppose) you are required to release that slower song that will make pop radio take notice.. (One, Stay, SATS, Stuck, Sometimes all hit the Hot 100). Do you really feel that WAS or Cedars is the better fit?

How is it not? I don't want to discuss individual taste here. I don't care if you hate it too much for the radio or love it too much for the radio. Pretend you're a record exec, or Bono (who has a love for singles). You already released your rocking lead off single..

All those songs, still have pretty straight forward pop song structures to them... MOS does not. MOS is a beautiful song but it doesn't exactly have the structure that is pallatable for typical radio.

All those songs, still have pretty straight forward pop song structures to them... MOS does not. MOS is a beautiful song but it doesn't exactly have the structure that is pallatable for typical radio.

while I agree that I doubt MOS would be any type of radio hit, I doubt if we heard WOWY before it's release that we would have predicted it would be one of U2's two #1 hits in the USA. Granted, completely different times, but just saying. The song would (likely) suffer from a radio edit. However, I do think it could spawn one of U2's better music videos if done right. The song is awesome and is turning into one of my favorites along with the title track, Magnificent and Breathe thus far... part of me wants to see what it could possibly do on the radio, but part of me thinks/knows it wouldn't do too much.

I like "Moment Of Surrender" a lot and I still believe that it will be (at least) a moderate hit if it's edited properly and released as a single.

However, I'd like to see U2 to escape from the usual type of ballad they use to release as single ("One", "Stay", "Stuck", "Sometimes" and "Moment Of Surrender" all of them fit in the same concept/stereotype-song). It's this type of choices that makes U2 look predictable to the eyes of the public.
Why not release "White As Snow" as the ballad single of this album? Make a great video, short the intro in a few seconds and it could get some exposure on the TV and radios...

MOS is too slow, does not have any killer moment and does not build into any crescendo as all slow songs should if they want to be epic. IT DOES NOT HAVE ANY CATCHY LYRICS OR TUNE... SORRY IF THIS IS HARSH, (I QUITE LIKE THE SONG) BUT IT JUST WOULD'NT WORK AS A RADIO SINGLE.

There are 3 parts of MOS that i really like, lyrics from 'two souls to smart to be' to 'even on our wedding day' Edge's solo and the guitar bits at the very end.

But I could not see radio DJ's queueing it up regularly and poeple frothing at the mouth to here it on radio or selling any better then Boots as a single.

It's not that far out there..

The structure is actually very similar to If God Would Send His Angels, which was a single with the second verse at the beginning removed.

Musically, it's very poppy. Sung as a Soul track with Motown groove and killer sing-along hook. It's the radio song..

My top 3 tracks on the cd now are Magnificent, Breathe & Unknown Caller....would be awesome if UNknown Caller made the cut for the last track

I doubt Breathe will be released as a live version is to be a b side for Magnificent. Another strange decision as Breathe is probably the most immediate song on the cd

U2 should have released MOS & GOYB as dual singles. Something a little different while giving the public both ends of the U2 spectrum.

I'm really into MOS now especially after Lanois said they were getting a "Band" type feel from it. I give U2 props on the release of GOYB, Magnificent, (maybe) MOS, & Breathe. All unique songs from the album that don't seem like obvious singles. Except Magnificent :drool:

It could have easily been:

SUC or Crazy Tonight as singles. I do enjoy Crazy though

Back in the day, Unforgettable Fire was on the radio, WOWY was on the radio, Stay was on the radio, Please was on the radio.

Put the damn song on the radio.

Fuck 'em if they can't take it.

Back
Top Bottom