More September Rumors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
im saying its obvious the band decided that some of their songs were crap, which they obviously feel nowif they arent releasing it

doesnt take a genius to figure this out

It was THREE songs! It's not like half the album was crap or anything. And we have no idea how important those three songs were to the album. If we were to guess anything, if the songs were so crap that they were thrown "into the dust bin," chances are they were crap to begin with anyway, and were merely bonus material they wanted to use to fatten the album with if they could improve them to album worthy status - which obviously they could not, so they were scrapped as they would have been anyway. I don't think it was a big deal given this last reason and the fact it was only 3 songs.

three songs that we know about

maybe after realizing how crappy those 3 songs were they decided to go back and really give a good listen to the rest of their songs and they realized that those werent the best either...

obviously there was a point in time when they thought they were almost, then went back and realized they had more work to do, the two most logical times for this to occur is when they scrapped those three songs and when mr lanois came on board with some fresh ears.

perhaps everything they have recorded since the elevation tour is complete crap

if that's true then I don't really want to hear the album before winter 2006 though

Chizip said:
three songs that we know about

maybe after realizing how crappy those 3 songs were they decided to go back and really give a good listen to the rest of their songs and they realized that those werent the best either...

obviously there was a point in time when they thought they were almost, then went back and realized they had more work to do, the two most logical times for this to occur is when they scrapped those three songs and when mr lanois came on board with some fresh ears.
Maybe this, maybe that... you're completely speculating, whereas I'm using a direct quote from the band.

Anyway, I will give you this: It's possible Daniel Lanois offered them some insight into how they could improve some of the songs, and it's possible they are now implementing that insight to do exactly that. However, I don't think they're re-writing and re-recording the album, as some have suggested... if anything, it's just simple, small, changes. Those are the things a producer like Lanois would have suggested. And even small changes and tweeks take time. I don't think it's the end of the world.

Lanois: So, how about on this song, you change two words on the third chorus and add these two chords into the backing guitar riff?

Bono: AGH!!!!!!! *formats all songs*

Last edited:
Yeah, I think Chizip is off on this whole thing a bit. I really don't believe the band is scrapping anything. I think they are finishing up vocals on most songs, and structure on a few. If they were scrapping the album, you can bet this album would not see the light of day this year.

yeah, reggie is right:

if they were starting from scratch this album would not be coming out until 2005.

late 2005.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Yeah, I think Chizip is off on this whole thing a bit. I really don't believe the band is scrapping anything. I think they are finishing up vocals on most songs, and structure on a few. If they were scrapping the album, you can bet this album would not see the light of day this year.

when did i ever say they were scrapping anything

i said we knew they did scrap 3 songs that they tried to put strings in, andi thought maybe after realzing those songs weren't so good they may have decided to try to rework the material they did have

hence, brining in lanois and his fresh ears...

i didnt say they scrapped everything, or anything, except those 3 songs

OK, OK, Chizip however I felt you were implying that you felt they were reworking everything. I believe (now) that 75% to 80% of the album is done. I think that 7 to 10 songs are in the can and they have 2 to 4 that they feel can make the album and are trying to flesh those out.:slant:

And I agree with Griffiths, those three songs never had much of a chance...but that's only "my" opinion.

why would those songs never have a chance?

if they decided to take the time to go to england to put the strings in for those songs, than surely they had a chance

Has anyone ever actually contacted anyone involved with the strings and gotten their comments on the matter?

Well on U2log there are some comments from people who actually spoke to Bono in LA and it appears that the snags weren't necessarily with the album but the fact that he has some personal commitments the next several months which cannot be changed.

see that would be the only thing that would annoy me... if they need more time to record more songs? that would be fine. and i really think the charity work bono does is great, important, etc. etc. but if it starts interfering with his day job, that's a problem. obviously, saving the world is more important than a rock and roll band... but it's that rock and roll band that gave him the popularity and the platform in order to try to save the world.

so hopefully they still need to do some touch up work on the album and that's 'causing the rumored delay... as opposed to the album being delayed because bono has other things to do. not just for my own selfish reasons, but because i'm sure :larry::edge:and:adam: are begining to get a tad annoyed by it all... and that can't be good.

I'd be relieved if the delay really was being caused by Bono's charity work rather than any snags in the recording process. I'm more than willing to wait for an album as long as it is already done or in the home stretch, but having to wait knowing that the band is having problems in the studio is scary. :no:

welllllll

the song that created the greatest amount of tension in the studio was streets, and imo thats the greatest song of all time

and the album that created the most tension in the studio was achutng, and thats my favorite album of all time...

so maybe its a good thing if they are having problems in the studio, it seems to produce their best work

Chizip said:
welllllll

the song that created the greatest amount of tension in the studio was streets, and imo thats the greatest song of all time

and the album that created the most tension in the studio was achutng, and thats my favorite album of all time...

so maybe its a good thing if they are having problems in the studio, it seems to produce their best work
Exactly, Chiz. It was because of this very reason that I was very pleased when I heard a while back that the recording of the album had been difficult. It seems they thrive on tension in the studio, as this is when they create their greatest work.

Or the problem is serious and they call it a day.. Lets hope not. At least its not a POP situation where they release an unfinnished album, we just have to wait a bit longer, and in terms of getting Lanois on board, I say thats a good move, as their best material has come from his production. To be honest i wish that Eno had some input too, as a more rocking ATYCLB with Eno and Lanois on board could rival their best work..

Hey, if Bono has some other commitments, maybe the delay can be used to save a life AND strengthen the album while we wait.

Chizip said:
things can seemingly be "done" at one point, and then after further review, not done

i imagine this is what has happened, and with u2 its something you should expect

man i look like a genius in this thread :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom