More from Lanois on the new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blue Room said:
Maybe its just me but I find it sort of odd that people keep saying they want them to go in a new direction. Then some of the same people say the want it to be like Achtung Baby. Well, that isnt going in a new direction. That rehashing something they already did. Which ironically is what some people here (I'm saying this site in general, not this particular thread) slammed them for with ATYCLB and Bomb, for rehashing some of their late 80's sounds. Whats the difference? You liked Achtung Baby better than Joshua Tree? Seems like the only difference to me. :shrug:

I dont care what they do. I just hope its good and most of the time, overall, their albums are.

For once, we agree 100%. :wink: That's a quality post. :up:

I think some people have misread what Daniel Lanois has said. He wasn't saying that U2 are looking to employ a sound similar to Achtung Baby or any influences from that period.

He was just stating that the mood and atmosphere around the band now is similar, that they are ready for a change in direction, to invent a new sound and try different things.

From what I have read about the Fez sessions it all sounds very promising. The addition of Lanois and Eno during the songwriting stage, bringing in local musicians and orchestras, trying out different rhythms and song structures and just spending time in Morocco, are all exciting signs that we will hear something fresh and new.

ATYCLB and HTDAAB were both good albums but were a little too safe and mainstream friendly for me. Compared to some of their other work they were even a little bland, I want to hear U2 get back to their exciting sound and some form of experimentation.

Thanksandy said:
I think some people have misread what Daniel Lanois has said. He wasn't saying that U2 are looking to employ a sound similar to Achtung Baby or any influences from that period.

He was just stating that the mood and atmosphere around the band now is similar, that they are ready for a change in direction, to invent a new sound and try different things.

From what I have read about the Fez sessions it all sounds very promising. The addition of Lanois and Eno during the songwriting stage, bringing in local musicians and orchestras, trying out different rhythms and song structures and just spending time in Morocco, are all exciting signs that we will hear something fresh and new.

ATYCLB and HTDAAB were both good albums but were a little too safe and mainstream friendly for me. Compared to some of their other work they were even a little bland, I want to hear U2 get back to their exciting sound and some form of experimentation.

I totally agree with Your opinion!

LemonMacPhisto said:
There are more Aphex Twin, Brian Eno, older jazz influences in Kid A/Amnesiac than U2/Passengers. That era of U2 music had a bigger bearing on OK Computer more than anything, not so much The Bends, at least to me.

QFTMFT

Aphex twin...Boards are canada were big influence on Kid A & Amnesiac even the band acknowledges that

:drool:

Aygo said:

Well, in my vision of the things, "Planet Telex", "High And Dry" (that is just "Stay (Faraway, So Close!" with different lyrics and some instrumental alterations) and "Fake Plastic Trees" can easily fit in the Zooropa overall, for instance. The same for "The Tourist", "No Surprises" and some little moments in other Ok Computer songs.

fake plastic trees on Zooropa ? :huh:

I could easily see Fake Plastic Trees as The First Time. Both start out fairly moody and sparse, but have a powerful build at the end. Obviously Trees hits a higher peak, and stands taller in the respective band's oveure, but they are similar.

Also, "The Tourist" and "The Wanderer" as last songs on the album? Coincidence?

lazarus said:
I could easily see Fake Plastic Trees as The First Time. Both start out fairly moody and sparse, but have a powerful build at the end. Obviously Trees hits a higher peak, and stands taller in the respective band's oveure, but they are similar.

Also, "The Tourist" and "The Wanderer" as last songs on the album? Coincidence

:yes:

the tourist was the last song added to OK Computer

it wasn't even gonna make the record

so the band found a perfect spot for it at the end :drool:

xaviMF22 said:

:yes:

the tourist was the last song added to OK Computer

it wasn't even gonna make the record

so the band found a perfect spot for it at the end :drool:

I wonder how it would've been ending with No Surprises though... it couldn't have been better than the unintentional driving imagery in The Tourist and Airbag.

here's another tidbit from Lanois, courtesy of the Globe and Mail:

"Here Is What Is will be useful as a promotional vehicle for Lanois's next solo album, due next spring, which he coyly says “might” have the same title. By then he'll have done a fourth session with Eno on the next U2 album, which he said is turning out to be “very exotic” and eastern-sounding, though not derivative of any particular tradition."

Dorian Gray said:

“very exotic” and eastern-sounding, though not derivative of any particular tradition."

So now we hear, that they are not only inspired by the structure of the music they heard in Morroco, but the new songs sound "very exotic" and eastern as well... interesting news!

I wonder how much will be revealed in the film...

I'm glad to hear that it's not just an "eastern style" album, but that they're taking that and making it their own.

i'll just be glad that it doesn't follow on from the previous two albums or the band wouldn't have moved on. It sounds very different, whether we will like or not is something else, but I admire their willingness to try new sounds, even if it doesn't sell 10 million plus records.

Back
Top Bottom