Moment Of Surrender is the next single then!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll say it again: U2 fucked up in their single releases. It should have gone like this:

No Line on the Horizon 2 as a pre-album single to drum up interest and announce, "Hey! We're fucking back!" Would have been the best debut single from a new U2 album in a decade. (January '09)

Breathe as single B especially since they opened pretty much every show with it and it kicks ass and is exciting! Exciting! Nothing quite like an exciting song. (April '09)

Then Moment of Surrender. Kind of a breather (sic) release. Also, it's an inventive song. Gives the impression U2 is still capable of playing outside their box. (July '09)

Next I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight. Another wham-bam song with a memorable beat and anthem lyric. (September '09)

Finally, Magnificent. A sort of lullaby to the whole process. Hooky, but meaningful. Larry's best drumming on the album, perhaps Bono's best vocal. The Edge has a solo. Adam starts it all out with a powerful bass. (October '09)

In 2009, 5 of the most played new songs on the 360° tour also might have fired up the radio stations if only they U2 had some balls. Some of these singles could have even been just radio singles or quick iTunes releases. Anything to actually promote the album outside the concert arena.

I almost agree.

#1 Moment of Surrender as the pre-album single
#2 NLOTH2 a week before the album drops
#3 I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
#4 Magnificent

If there was a 5th it would be Breathe.

It's all about marketing. If you can market bad taste many people will follow along for the ride. When I was a kid I used to listen to the top 40 from the beginning in the morning to lunchtime without a problem. Since then I could hear musical formulas pretty easily then Achtung Baby came out and it sounded so different and better and I haven't looked back. Some newer generations are listening to "training wheels" music and will have to go through that process themselves and hopefully explore classic rock and pop sometime in their lives.

i agree with what you are saying, but there was still some pretty decent music in the top 40 back when AB came out. Today there isn't shit. If i hear a good song (hell even a decent one) on a top 40 station im immediately thinking to myself "that was a mistake" or "that DJ just got fired for playing that song". The other part of that is, once in a while they do play a decent song and it catches on, they play it too death like 3 times an hour every hour and you get so sick of it you begin to hate it. It's really a no-win situation with FM radio if you listen to the mainstream stations.

I'll say it again: U2 fucked up in their single releases. It should have gone like this:

No Line on the Horizon 2 as a pre-album single to drum up interest and announce, "Hey! We're fucking back!" Would have been the best debut single from a new U2 album in a decade. (January '09)

Breathe as single B especially since they opened pretty much every show with it and it kicks ass and is exciting! Exciting! Nothing quite like an exciting song. (April '09)

Then Moment of Surrender. Kind of a breather (sic) release. Also, it's an inventive song. Gives the impression U2 is still capable of playing outside their box. (July '09)

Next I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight. Another wham-bam song with a memorable beat and anthem lyric. (September '09)

Finally, Magnificent. A sort of lullaby to the whole process. Hooky, but meaningful. Larry's best drumming on the album, perhaps Bono's best vocal. The Edge has a solo. Adam starts it all out with a powerful bass. (October '09)

In 2009, 5 of the most played new songs on the 360° tour also might have fired up the radio stations if only they U2 had some balls. Some of these singles could have even been just radio singles or quick iTunes releases. Anything to actually promote the album outside the concert arena.

I'd dig this. And ESPECIALLY point 1.

I wonder how people would react if the first single was turned around. NLOTH2 A side and Boots B-side.

And yeah, NLOTH2 needs to be the final track on NLOTH after Cedars. Just sayin'. :wink:

I think Breathe would've been a very catchy radio tune, especially right after you get a new album out. Crazy has been the most played single of the new album here, even though people on here hate it it's still an enjoyable, radio friendly song.

Magnificent would've done pretty much better anywhere but the time it was released now.. And they shouldn't have cut the solo.

I don't understand this thinking that NLOTH2 would have been a good first single. The vocal is horrific and it's far too fast for Bono to sing live night after night.

I don't understand this thinking that NLOTH2 would have been a good first single. The vocal is horrific and it's far too fast for Bono to sing live night after night.

How are the vocals horrific? I like them much more than NLOTH's vocals.

And I think it would've been a good single because it's quick, up tempo, catchy and very radio friendly. It would've been a WHAM We're back kinda thing. Like with Beautiful day after Pop.

Well they pulled a nice hybrid off live, so I reckon they wouldn't have to play NLOTH2 live every night since they're playing the hybrid eh? I just wish Adam would play the superior bassline live.

although i like NLOTH2, i personally feel that NLOTH1 is one of the best studio tracks the band has ever made. it's like Eno and Edge made a baby. currently, NLOTH1 ranks in my top 10 U2 songs.

although i like NLOTH2, i personally feel that NLOTH1 is one of the best studio tracks the band has ever made. it's like Eno and Edge made a baby. currently, NLOTH1 ranks in my top 10 U2 songs.

:up:

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give NLOTH2 9.5, and NLOTH1 about 15. I seriously love the song that much.

I agree that NLOTH2 could've been a very good "comeback" a promo single before the album came out. Anyway, NLOTH1 is more polished and its sonority fits perfectly on the album, better than NLOTH2 would.

And, well, jibberish instead of actual lyrics. Also, the "No! Line!!!" shouting gets old fast.

I don't understand that NLOTH2 >>> NLOTH but that's just me...

How are the vocals horrific? I like them much more than NLOTH's vocals.

And I think it would've been a good single because it's quick, up tempo, catchy and very radio friendly. It would've been a WHAM We're back kinda thing. Like with Beautiful day after Pop.

Well they pulled a nice hybrid off live, so I reckon they wouldn't have to play NLOTH2 live every night since they're playing the hybrid eh? I just wish Adam would play the superior bassline live.

The "hybrid" is still closer to the studio tempo, which is the biggest weakness vocal wise of NLOTH2. Bono is off key quite a bit on NLOTH2, and it's not due to difficult notes, just the speed to which he is singing.

I'm honestly suprised they released NLOTH2 as is, I can't think of any other studio recording where Bono is off key as often as he is. If anyone were to give the U2 uses autotune argument they haven't listened to this song.

NLOTH1 reminds me more of A Sort of Homecoming. In fact, a lot of NLOTH reminds me of TUF.

Oh, and I like what Australia did with NLOTH2 in appending it to the end of the album.

i really wish i could get into NLOTH2 as much as some of you are. i just love the album version so much that it's hard for me to listen to the alternative.

I heard the alternative first and I still think it sounds like a lackluster remix of the album version, rather than a lost classic.

NLOTH reminds me of NLOTH. U2 have made ambient music, and they've made rock music... NLOTH reconciles the two beautifully and creates a true ambient rock song.

I prefer the album version. It's 10/10 for me. Live is 10/10, as well. NLOTH2 is probably 8/10.

Nice to see some NLOTH love around here. To me this is the lost masterpiece track from the album. Everything is great about it.

My wife and I were in New Orleans for a quick Xmas vacation and went into a run down NO style bar. They had a jukebox and people were just chilling having their drinks, in which I played NLOTH. My wife & I started singing not even realizing the attention we were getting but we didn't care. "I KNOW A GIRL.." :wave:

The 2 best songs on the album: Moment of Surrender & No Line On The Horizon

followed not far behind by Fez-Being Born and Unknown Caller. also, this may be an unpopular opinion, but Get On Your Boots is creeping up there too.

Magnificent / Moment of surrender duke it out for best song title, with Breathe following closely.

NLOTH reminds me of NLOTH. U2 have made ambient music, and they've made rock music... NLOTH reconciles the two beautifully and creates a true ambient rock song.

I prefer the album version. It's 10/10 for me. Live is 10/10, as well. NLOTH2 is probably 8/10.

Exactly! :up:

The 2 best songs on the album: Moment of Surrender & No Line On The Horizon

Certainly not in my books.

I'll Go Crazy and Fez-BB. (Oh yes, hate me, hate me all for loving Crazy. And sue me, I love Stand up Comedy too! And still don't give a damn about MOS.)

I've always been a Boots fan, as well.

Same here. I've always placed it high on rankings for the album and have never understood all the hate. Yeah it didn't work out great as the first single, it's an unusual song at first listen, which is all the chance most people are willing to give. So in hindsight another choice might have been better. But it doesn't change the fact the song is really cool! Never fails that I'm listening to the album, enjoying it thoroughly, yet Boots comes on and I go Oh yeah! and turn it up. :up: :)

Same here. I've always placed it high on rankings for the album and have never understood all the hate. Yeah it didn't work out great as the first single, it's an unusual song at first listen, which is all the chance most people are willing to give. So in hindsight another choice might have been better. But it doesn't change the fact the song is really cool! Never fails that I'm listening to the album, enjoying it thoroughly, yet Boots comes on and I go Oh yeah! and turn it up. :up: :)

plus, it's very fun and easy to play on guitar. :up:

Agreed. And Live it was so much fun too! Though I'm glad they took out the Sexy boots line.

plus, it's very fun and easy to play on guitar. :up:

And bass, don't forget the bass! :shifty:

Back
Top Bottom