Moment Of Surrender is the next single then!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually recall someone in or close to U2 saying that Elevation and Walk On would be used on 00-10 because their single releases were post 2000 or something? Doesn't matter, they stuffed up their best of's (after a brilliant 80's compilation), by remixing songs, writing new songs and using 2000 stuff for the 90s one. The integrity of the Best Ofs is lost....

Putting 00s songs on a compilation that theoretically intended to allocate over 90% of its running time to the 90s was a horrible, HORRIBLE mistake. I have no idea what the hell they were thinking. The chemistry of the set was lost completely, and as far as continuity is concerned, I don't recall Night And Day representing the 1990 in "Best Of 1980-1990."

They fucked that up so badly that, if I were in there shoes, I would use Beautiful Day and Stuck again.

I actually recall someone in or close to U2 saying that Elevation and Walk On would be used on 00-10 because their single releases were post 2000 or something? Doesn't matter, they stuffed up their best of's (after a brilliant 80's compilation), by remixing songs, writing new songs and using 2000 stuff for the 90s one. The integrity of the Best Ofs is lost....

Well the 90-2000 one was a mess beyond that. No The Fly? Mysterious Ways butchered? Crap re-recordings? Just revisionist history to try and make the last 10 years sound like ATYCLB.

But beyond remastering and B-sides you don't have, why would anyone care about Best-of cds in an ipod age???

1990-2000 is entirely unrepresentative of U2 during that time frame, and having two 2002 songs makes a mockery of the concept, but I think that it's one of their best albums, and the only greatest hits set I've ever listened to with any regularity (though it's untouched since 04-05). It has an odd uniformity of sound, and I like the new recordings/mixes on there too. They make it a worthwhile cd, and an alternate universe version of U2 is nicely complimentary to the one we have. It's more of a new studio album than a traditional greatest hits, particularly since most of the songs weren't hits.

Great points. I also enjoy 1990-2000 for all of its alternates--without those, the album would be pointless if you have the Electrical Storm singles.

Putting 00s songs on a compilation that theoretically intended to allocate over 90% of its running time to the 90s was a horrible, HORRIBLE mistake. I have no idea what the hell they were thinking. The chemistry of the set was lost completely, and as far as continuity is concerned, I don't recall Night And Day representing the 1990 in "Best Of 1980-1990."

Well the 90-2000 one was a mess beyond that. No The Fly? Mysterious Ways butchered? Crap re-recordings? Just revisionist history to try and make the last 10 years sound like ATYCLB.

But beyond remastering and B-sides you don't have, why would anyone care about Best-of cds in an ipod age???

1990-2000 is entirely unrepresentative of U2 during that time frame, and having two 2002 songs makes a mockery of the concept, but I think that it's one of their best albums, and the only greatest hits set I've ever listened to with any regularity (though it's untouched since 04-05). It has an odd uniformity of sound, and I like the new recordings/mixes on there too. They make it a worthwhile cd, and an alternate universe version of U2 is nicely complimentary to the one we have. It's more of a new studio album than a traditional greatest hits, particularly since most of the songs weren't hits.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Quite possibly the most despicable thing the band has put into the marketplace.

And the overrated Electrical Serve doesn't make up for it, sorry. At least they didn't save it for an album.

Eh, drop BD and Stuck for Stateless and GBHF and it would be fine.

U218's a bigger mess, being the "definitive collection" yet missing any songs from 4 albums.

Eh, drop BD and Stuck for Stateless and GBHF and it would be fine.

U218's a bigger mess, being the "definitive collection" yet missing any songs from 4 albums.

I dont think it was meant to be a definitive collection. Wasn't it just the 16 songs that had been played on the radio the most? Not their best, but their most popular and the ones that had the most airtime? Thought I read a quote like that. In that case, they got it right. I definitely don't consider it the definitive collection whatsoever.

Well the band did say they picked the most radio-played songs though I remember the CD having a sticker that said this is the "definite hits collection"...

They could have easily cut S. Thing and two of the ATYCLB songs and one Bomb song and put on I will follow, Gloria, Discotheque and Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me instead.

I don't know that I've ever heard Discotheque on the radio. Discotheque is one of my favorite songs too. Hold me Thrill me kiss me kill me and Gloria, alright, yeah, they probably belonged. Either way, I don't really care so much about it especially once I read that they were going for the most radio-played songs.

Best ofs once had integrity?

Uh that's not gonna happen. Did you miss the Best of 1990-2000 perchance?
BD and stuck are already on there. The new Best of wil start with Bomb.

Yeah, more like:

COBL
Vertigo
MOS
Elevation
Sometimes
Magnificent
OOTS
GOYB
Breathe
Crazy
ABOY
NLOTH
Walk On
NEW SONG
SOA- Single
SOA- Single

Coming to a store near you, Christmas 2012

Esquire magazine's December issue lists MOS as one of the "10 best songs you didn't hear this year":

"Just when it became painfully obvious which side of the spectacle-verus-substance debate U2 has aligned itself with, we get seven minutes that deliver both: a classically profound dissertation on tested faith that's both eloquently written and grandiosely delivered. How easily at home this will sound on a U2-greatest hits set suggests the band is aging far more gracefully than it's getting credit for."

It would be nice if MOS soon didn't qualify for a list of songs it is assumed most people have not heard - (although I realize that's unlikely) . . .

Back
Top Bottom