Moment Of Surrender is overrated thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You are kidding me, right? I mean, this is one of the stupidest reasonings I have heard.. You are pretty much saying that people who like the song like it because they don't get it - and if they did get it they would realize how :| it actually was?
:lol:

That could be a possible reason, why some people find the lyrics so incredible. When they are not up to the standards set by their earlier ballads.

Part of the problem is that there was so much talk about it before the (unofficial) release that I really expected something spectacular. Reviews talked about an amazing buildup throughout the song, but it just does not happen and is anticlimactic. I know for some it is great, but it just isn't doing it for me.

Edited to add: Like some others, I think Bono's performance is the best thing about this song.

Agree, if they hadn't hyped it so much, it would be better received (though it still wouldn't be a classic).

I just realised that SYCMIOYO owns MOS and actualy is a fantastic song.

NLOTH owns HTDAAB though :up:

two words

infinite
guitar

look for it live paired with wowy, bet

Ohooo that would be awesome.

Agree, if they hadn't hyped it so much, it would be better received (though it still wouldn't be a classic).

I don't remember it being hyped that much more than any other. And besides, that doesn't matter to me anywho.

You don't like it - so be it. After listening to it a week now, I still haven't changed my opinion.
Love, love love and I get it. (whatever that meant?):wink:

now after 20 plus listens, from a start of "it's too long" now a big fan _ in thy e top 5 of the album, and it certainly is a maGNIFICEN:wave:T ALBUM mIKE

All I can say is it is definitely not "This album's 'One'"

and I don't want another "One." we already have that song. Moment of Surrender is nothing like one, nor should it be. It's an awesome song in it's own right.

I can't remember where I mentioned this, but the first time I heard this song, it sent a shiver down my spine, since then it gives me chills. It brings up such an emotional response, sometimes it's overwhelming.

So, to hear Eno's description of how it came to be, just blows me away. Whatever they were channeling is coming through, at least for me, and made it's way beyond the studio.

I don't know what this song will become, you can never tell what will move the 'public', but I think it's amazing. I can't imagine hearing it live.

First time I heard it I thought it was the album standout. Melody and emotion like no other. Senseless comparing it to "ONE" because frankly that's considered one of the greatest songs of all time. It's simple melodic turns, and building climax and lyrics are unparalleled. I've heard that Edge stumbled across the powerful chord change by accident in Berlin after a long night at the studio. Happy accident indeed. This is different, steady pure emotion that might not have the melodic hook of the ONE masterpiece but has heart and soul and simplicity that U2 are known for. Can't believe how great this album is.

I love parts of this song, but, to me, like Lemon, I think it could have been shortened by a couple of minutes.

You know even Winter, even though its unfinished and has a few questionable lyrics, is a better ballad than MoS. It's actually interesting musically and the operatic vocals at the end are miles better than the uninspired 'ohhs; that finish of MoS.

I love parts of this song, but, to me, like Lemon, I think it could have been shortened by a couple of minutes.

Eno's retarded ass said there was two more verses they cut out. Shouldve gone ahead and cut out the choruses while they were at it

Its no surprise to me that this is Enos favorite. What Eno likes about this is probably what i hate about it. And whats wrong with it is whats wrong with the majority of the album

Eno's retarded ass said there was two more verses they cut out. Shouldve gone ahead and cut out the choruses while they were at it

Its no surprise to me that this is Enos favorite. What Eno likes about this is probably what i hate about it. And whats wrong with it is whats wrong with the majority of the album

Do you need a big Eno poster to throw darts at or bash him in here is enough?

This thread is incredibly disrespectful to those of us who think this is the best song we've heard in a very long time. Fine, some don't like it, but threads like these serve no purpose. Should we start a thread entitled, "Moment of Surrender Overrated, The Thread For The Hearing Impaired And Musically Stupid?" No, of course not. So this thread should not exist either.

If MOS doesn't appeal to you that's probably a good sign that U2 is not the band for you.

This isn't death metal, folks. The Goal is Soul.

i disagree with the last poster, i have been a fan since 84 and am a FANATIC!!! and while i do not hate it and think its good i think it would be an AMAZING B-side and maybe a decent album closer i do not like it 3rd and i just dont think its that great. its good not great

This thread is incredibly disrespectful to those of us who think this is the best song we've heard in a very long time. Fine, some don't like it, but threads like these serve no purpose. Should we start a thread entitled, "Moment of Surrender Overrated, The Thread For The Hearing Impaired And Musically Stupid?" No, of course not. So this thread should not exist either.

-sigh-

DOES anyone notice that the thread is called 'Moment of Surrender is overrated'? It's not the MoS hate thread!

I personally quite like MoS, would rate it around 7/10. It is a good song, but not a great song unlike most of their other ballads.

i disagree with the last poster, i have been a fan since 84 and am a FANATIC!!! and while i do not hate it and think its good i think it would be an AMAZING B-side and maybe a decent album closer i do not like it 3rd and i just dont think its that great. its good not great

I didn't mean if you didn't love it. I just can't imagine the sort of person that would trash MOS being much of a U2 fan. This mellow gospel vibe has always been a part of U2's sound; it's just never been channelled as well as it is in MOS in my opinion.

Sorry, I didn't mean to trash the honest criticism, just the people disrespecting MOS/Eno.

-sigh-

DOES anyone notice that the thread is called 'Moment of Surrender is overrated'? It's not the MoS hate thread!

I personally quite like MoS, would rate it around 7/10. It is a good song, but not a great song unlike most of their other ballads.

Again, what do you hope to accomplish with the thread? Kill the buzz for those who rate it higher than you do, give those people an education? It's condescending and disrespectful. I don't like Magnificent as much as some people do, but I think it'd be very wrong to start a "Magnificent Is Overrated" thread.

Again, what do you hope to accomplish with the thread? Kill the buzz for those who rate it higher than you do, give those people an education? It's condescending and disrespectful. I don't like Magnificent as much as some people do, but I think it'd be very wrong to start a "Magnificent Is Overrated" thread.

I don't think Magnificent is the best (or 2nd best) song on the album either. So don't pigeonhole me as some Eno-hating hyperactive idiot who can't listen to a 7 minute ballad because it doesn't have a 2 minute shred solo.

The thread is simply pointing out my view (and it would seem others) that MoS (while a decent song) is not the song it was heralded as being.
While backing such statements with reasons why it doesn't hold up to some of their earlier ballads.

I don't think Magnificent is the best song on the album either. So don't pigeonhole me as some hyperactive idiot who can't listen to a 7 minute ballad which doesn't have a 2 minute shred solo.

The thread is simply pointing out my view (and it would seem others) that MoS (while a decent song) is not the song it was heralded as being.
And backing this up with reasons why it doesn't hold up to some of their earlier ballads.

How am I pigeonholing you? The point is not that you love/don't love the song, the point is that there are some songs on this album that I think are overrated as well, but that I think it's disrespectful to start a thread pointing that out. A thread that's sole purpose only serves to offend those that really love this song. To me, it's a thread of automatic disrespect. If it was a thread asking for opinions of the song, fine. A thread ASKING if it's overrated ("IS Moment of Surrender Overrated?") would be fine. But a thread that has a negative, non-debated, conclusion as it's title is offending to me. But what do I know?

I dont know. One is my favorite song of all time and is tattoed on my forearm but MOS is a damn good song. I think it is a different sound and feeling and Bono's voice in this song is amazing. I think One will always be my favorite because of the meaning and structure of the song. I dont know where MOS will land in my list over time but I definitely don't think it is overrated. I think it's pretty amazing!

Back
Top Bottom