Moment Of Surrender Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right now I'm preferring MOS.

And I'm an Eno guy, if that changes things.

The vocals are unbelievable for me.:drool:

I think MOS is totally different from One. Before I heard it, I did see people making comparisons to One in the reviews but I personally don't see how they can be compared now I've heard it.

The more I think about it, this is the song where Bono's voice sounds the best to me.

It's sort of like an Elton John/Bowie feel plus some of that Bono passion/growl.

God it's unbelievable.

I am absolutely in love with MOS, but I don't see them as being in any way similar in content. One has a bitter and yet resigned spirit to it -- very different to MOS.

That said, both are incredible songs. They will both I'm sure stay relevant for a very long time to come; they don'e need to replace eachother.

I am absolutely in love with MOS, but I don't see them as being in any way similar in content. One has a bitter and yet resigned spirit to it -- very different to MOS.

That said, both are incredible songs. They will both I'm sure stay relevant for a very long time to come; they don'e need to replace eachother.

That's where I see the similarity, if there is any at all.

These are timeless songs about universal feelings.

MOS is good (watch flames come) but imo UC and Magnificent are better - after just a couple of listens and in advance of live - so i reserve right to change my mind Mike [s now thinking NLOTH2 better than album version

A question:

Am I wrong or is it a song about addiction?

Was gonna ask the same question. It just has that feel off it.........esp about playing with fire "till the fire played with me". Another truly wonderful track............I've a feeling I'll be repeating myself regarding most of the album!

I think this is indeed their best song. Very deep. So much going on. Love it. I need some lyrics? Who's got them ?

That's where I see the similarity, if there is any at all.

These are timeless songs about universal feelings.

Well just becasue they are about universal feelings doesn't mean they are similar in subject matter. Sure, I do see some similarity in the musical aspects, but I hear One as more of a bitter and torutred relationship story, whereas Moment of Surrender seems to be much more personal and of the inner narrative.

I suppose both deal with the subject of resignation, that's true. However, how and to what they seem to be resigning seems quite different. One is a path from condemnation and anger to a a sort of begrudging acceptance of our commonality and unity, despite all this shit that's between us. MOS, on the other hand, seems to be almost begging to surrender, to collapse, to forfeit all efforts and hand itself over to Grace.

Of course, I can definitely see the common thread with the "Do you hear us calling Lord?" ending of One with MOS. Those two seem to be of a very like spirit.

Either way, both these songs are masterpieces in my opinion, and they will hopefully live on for a very long while indeed.

this is a prime example of two things:

1. some songs are growers.

2. some songs sound so much better with headphones.

First of all, whoever said this belongs in a Michael Mann film: YES. Exactly.

Beautiful song.

Don't compare this song to One. Music is not competitive. A good song is a good song, not "better" than any others.

Do I want to hear this live? Yes. But drop One from the set? Never.

This seems to be the 21st century version of "Bad". It seems very much to be about a couple struggling with addiction. The "tie myself with wire" reference to tying off to find a vein is pretty hard hitting.

I especially love the chorus where our character catches a glimpse of himself, ravaged by addiction, in the reflection of an ATM machine as he tries to withdraw cash to feed the addiction that cripples he and his wife.

The story seems to end vaguely. We're not told if the character beats his addiction and decides against it, as he's racing home on a subway trying to deal with withdrawal, or if he has in fact indulged in his addiction and is racing home on a subway to tie off again. I love the song so much that I'm hoping it's the former.

God this song is so soulful. Wasn't expecting to like this one. "1 take" scared me. But that's one hell of a take.

I really wasn't expecting this one to be my immediate favorite. It literally slapped me when Bono starts to sing. The atmosphere wasn't going in that direction, yet hearing that voice is perfect. It doesn't feels like 7 1/2 minutes really. I can see Edge doing some extended soloing (Kite) live. The sad thing about this song is that you can't listen to it more that 8 times in an hour. I can't get enough of it. :drool:

I really love the black hole/ dark star lyric. I think its my favorite. The chorus are so gospel, soothing and ghostly. It just sinks the hooks into your heart. There is no denying this beauty.

I really cannot believe this was only played once. I guess to those who said they would work songs to death, you can eat your words. :wink:

If anyone was skeptical about the whole "waiting for God to walk through the room" notion, I suppose Bono's now well proven himself. Simply extraordinary.

Back
Top Bottom