Mojo Interview with Adam Clayton on NLOTH/Next Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dear U2,

Thanks for all the talk about a new album soon. Please get your story straight and release this mythological "nighttime ambient album about pilgrimage" in the fall. Waiting five years between records is really starting to get old. Stop talking about immediate follow up albums unless you really intend to release them.

A huge fan since 1991,
Clawgrabber

Clawgrabber,

We got your note. Thanks so much for thinking of us! Glad you enjoyed the wait. We did too. If we're being honest, half of NLOTH was recycled from old HTDAAB/ATYCLB studio sessions, and the other half was recycled from those old fabled Zooropa sessions. We haven't written any new songs in a long time; we just waited this long because we knew it would piss you off. We're now going to take an extended hiatus so Adam can grow his spoon collection, Bono can make more babies, Edge can build an actual spaceship, and Larry can drive his children around Ireland endlessly.

TTFN,
The 2

^I think you mistook Bono for Edge. :wink:

Oh, the spaceship. :drool:

Clawgrabber,

We got your note. Thanks so much for thinking of us! Glad you enjoyed the wait. We did too. If we're being honest, half of NLOTH was recycled from old HTDAAB/ATYCLB studio sessions, and the other half was recycled from those old fabled Zooropa sessions. We haven't written any new songs in a long time; we just waited this long because we knew it would piss you off. We're now going to take an extended hiatus so Adam can grow his spoon collection, Bono can make more babies, Edge can build an actual spaceship, and Larry can drive his children around Ireland endlessly.

TTFN,
The 2

:lol:

Well we know that obviously Winter is a different track than White As Snow is and U2.com has confirmed that Fez=Being Born is indeed Tripoli.Adam mentioning that Every Breaking Wave is probably going to be on the next album.Originally I had predicted that this planned follow up record would be released in 2010,but now quite possibly it could be released for Fall 2009.The reason I say this is because originally they were going to release a double album Daylight and Darkness.Now keep in mind that 50 or 60 recordings can also mean at least two versions of every song or some of the songs from NLOTH and its outtakes,but appearently there was alot of more ambient,slower tracks cut that Eno wants to see the light of day.So there is probably at least another 10 or 11 tracks that are already close to being finished and one more month in a studio in summer could do the trick.I would love to see another follow up in the same year.

Well we know that obviously Winter is a different track than White As Snow is and U2.com has confirmed that Fez=Being Born is indeed Tripoli.Adam mentioning that Every Breaking Wave is probably going to be on the next album.Originally I had predicted that this planned follow up record would be released in 2010,but now quite possibly it could be released for Fall 2009.The reason I say this is because originally they were going to release a double album Daylight and Darkness.Now keep in mind that 50 or 60 recordings can also mean at least two versions of every song or some of the songs from NLOTH and its outtakes,but appearently there was alot of more ambient,slower tracks cut that Eno wants to see the light of day.So there is probably at least another 10 or 11 tracks that are already close to being finished and one more month in a studio in summer could do the trick.I would love to see another follow up in the same year.

i'll believe it when i see it. i highly doubt we'll have another album in 2009. my guess is fall 2010, just because they'll have to promote the shit out of NLOTH for at least a year and obviously there is the worldwide tour to go through. i guess it depends on whether they want to give it a low key release, because the material may be more esoteric, or make it a full blown "event" like NLOTH.

i'll believe it when i see it. i highly doubt we'll have another album in 2009. my guess is fall 2010, just because they'll have to promote the shit out of NLOTH for at least a year and obviously there is the worldwide tour to go through. i guess it depends on whether they want to give it a low key release, because the material may be more esoteric, or make it a full blown "event" like NLOTH.

Yah I guess 2010 would probably be the safe bet here.

yep mercy never dies!!! I tried to kill it a billion times with all my arsenal but nothing works! It just keeps coming back!!!! Maybe I should try nuking it although U2 tought me how to dismantle my only atomic bomb that I had and I don't know how assemble it back :lol:

Adam is the man! The cool of U2 for sure, and his reputation as the single party type, though he is closer to that than the other 3, certainly glosses over his obvious intelligence and well thought out style. I am continually amazed at how intelligent and well read/focused all of these guys are for a rock and roll band. Love them or hate them, no denying that they are miles away from Jagger and Richards who are permanently stoned or altered by something from their past.

Interviews, especially this round, have always shown how focused U2 is and how serious they take their work. We as fans can be critical, but often, I feel we do not appreciate just how much the guys put into everything they release.

Interviews are where it becomes plainly obvious to me why Adam was their first manager, why Bono is the frontman/is so effective at getting things done musically and politically, why Edge is trusted to explain the technical side of the music and songwriting development and of course, why Larry founded the band and holds them together and keeps them grounded still today.

This is a great interview. It looks like the version of Crazy tonight is a last minute re-cut in the studio, instead of the earlier more elaborate version with more Will.I.Am in it.

That's interesting...

Back
Top Bottom