Mixed Feelings About MOS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
So I've been listening to this song all week now and for whatever reason its just not really connecting with me and I don't quite know why.

I mean I can see why its popular.

Lyrically its pretty great, the idea of writing from another characters POV is something I think has paid off in spades and I hope Bono chooses to explore the idea a little further in the future. I like alot of the imagery, 'playing with fire until the fire played with me', vision over visibility, the passers by did not notice me, counting down till the pain would stop', its all evocative stuff.

Vocally, I don't think Bono's been this emotive for about 20 years, the first line slices right through you, the fact that this was all done in one take makes it all the more remarkable, plus its a trick to sound both resilient and broken at the same time.

But with that said, it seems to meander a bit, Edges solo appears slightly directionless and the song never really reaches its climax. I was waiting for it to catch fire, but I don't think it ever really does. Although I like the fact the all the voices in the chorus are not perfectly in sync with one another, the overall melody seems bit weepy and, dare I say it, a bit maudlin.

Calling it the 'greatest song U2 have ever recorded' is a little ambitious in my book. Maybe I would feel more inclined towards it if I'd been able to approach it as just another song on the album rather than this great 7 minute epic.

Perhaps I'll prefer the live versions, these things often appear more defined and impactful on stage.

Anyway just thought I'd post a few thoughts and find out if anyone shares my sentiments. :whistle:

There is something i don't know that makes me keeping coming back to Mos. I like this a lot! It never happened to me like this since Stay.

MOS for me does hit a peak, and does something really magical which lifts it up into another stratosphere and its when they are singing the last chorus and edge' guitar come in over the top of it, just a few notes but it just blows my mind everytime it gets to that part, I don't know how he done it, but all I do know I always end up going wow!!

see, this is my LEAST favorite song on the album. i dont know why, but i just cant get into it. i love the guitar right at the end but the rest of it does not resonate. :reject:

I felt like that at first, but I've really begun to connect with it. I love the keyboards, the lyrics, the whole feel, especially the intro. At first I hated Edge's solo but I'm beginning to love that too. True, there is no big finale, but maybe there doesn't need to be, I like it how it is, but I do know what you mean.

The screechyness of the vocal still grates on me though.

PS, how do I insert pictures from the internet? I was dying to include a photo of Screech from Saved By The Bell here!!:wink:

I have mixed feelings between whether this is the best U2 song ever or the best song of all time.
:heart:

I felt like that at first, but I've really begun to connect with it. I love the keyboards, the lyrics, the whole feel, especially the intro. At first I hated Edge's solo but I'm beginning to love that too. True, there is no big finale, but maybe there doesn't need to be, I like it how it is, but I do know what you mean.

The screechyness of the vocal still grates on me though.

:

:up: Cheers Gav, appreciate your reply mate.

:lol: That's another one I'm struggling with, I really enjoy the chanting choruses but the verses don't really do it for me, they seem a bit disjointed. Yeah certainly a grower this one.

Everyone looks for something different in a song, I guess....
Unlike you, I just looooooove this song. It brings out some emotion in me that i can not even describe....

this song is on a whole different plane that the rest of the album. not saying it's better than the rest of the album, but it just has an epic feeling that puts me in a different place. :up:

MOS is a good song but overrated. the verses are nice but the chorus/refrain is lame.
WHITE AS SNOW is miles ahead!:up:

I share them! :wave:
I really like it, but I don't care for the chorus.. It deserves a better one (IMO). I love Bono's vocals...

see i actually think the chorus fits the song perfectly, and i'm glad that they didn't mess with it to try to make it "bigger". this is one of the few great moments where the band got lost in the music, recorded it, and didn't mess with it.

Back
Top Bottom