MERGED ----> U2 Now In France Working On Album + U2 move album sessions to France

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Acrobat51829 said:
What song did Bulldozer eventually turn into?

The truth is we don't know and Sleep Over Jack could very well be right. I think 'Elevation' was ruled out, as Bono said that it was a seperate song from those that ended up on ATYCLB.

It could be just sitting on the shelf. Then again, they didn't put it out with Levitation and the rest of the ATYCLB leftovers on the digi box set.

Combined with this, the age of the song (hasn't seen the light of day in near a decade) and the fact that Larry said it was his favorite and yet it supposedly didn't even make HTDAAB (an album said to have a LACK of songs by the band in fall 2003)......

I've always just theorized that it combined with 'Love and Peace'* to become 'Love and Peace or Else'.

*-similar to how 'Tough' and 'Sometimes' became 'Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own' and 'Home' and 'whatever it was called' became Walk On.

For those not familiar, all of these songs, Tough, Sometimes, Home, Love and Peace, along with many others, Sun Moon and Stars was another, were written on the big white board during the ATYCLB sessions.

The way Bulldozer was described, I've always just thought that it sounded like the music from LAPOE. I don't know how Larry, considering how much sway he seemed to have over track selection (especially) on HTDAAB. I just don't know if it would sit there if it demanded to be heard as is. My guess is they compromised and Larry got part of the music in there on HTDAAB.
Just an idea.

U2DMfan said:

The truth is we don't know and Sleep Over Jack could very well be right. I think 'Elevation' was ruled out, as Bono said that it was a seperate song from those that ended up on ATYCLB.

It could be just sitting on the shelf. Then again, they didn't put it out with Levitation and the rest of the ATYCLB leftovers on the digi box set.

Combined with this, the age of the song (hasn't seen the light of day in near a decade) and the fact that Larry said it was his favorite and yet it supposedly didn't even make HTDAAB (an album said to have a LACK of songs by the band in fall 2003)......

I've always just theorized that it combined with 'Love and Peace'* to become 'Love and Peace or Else'.

*-similar to how 'Tough' and 'Sometimes' became 'Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own' and 'Home' and 'whatever it was called' became Walk On.

For those not familiar, all of these songs, Tough, Sometimes, Home, Love and Peace, along with many others, Sun Moon and Stars was another, were written on the big white board during the ATYCLB sessions.

The way Bulldozer was described, I've always just thought that it sounded like the music from LAPOE. I don't know how Larry, considering how much sway he seemed to have over track selection (especially) on HTDAAB. I just don't know if it would sit there if it demanded to be heard as is. My guess is they compromised and Larry got part of the music in there on HTDAAB.
Just an idea.

Thanks for the info. Very interesting stuff to know--the title itself does sound like a rocker number, like LAPOE. Interesting.

I wonder if Larry will have a bit more say (or already has) in the songs choices for the new album.

I'm hoping that the new album is 100% new tracks worked on in the studio over the past 4 years, would be more likley to be an album with vision and one that follows an ongoing musical or lyrical theme or mood or atmosphere.

U2 move album sessions to France

Hot Press, May 19, 2008

U2 soundman Joe O’Herlihy has revealed that following a stint in Dublin’s Windmill Lane Studios, the band are set to do some warm weather recording overseas.

"I'm heading out to France to begin working with them on it," Joe tells hotpress.com. "They decided they needed a few rays while they were working on the new songs. But things are in full swing working towards a new album. We're hoping to have something in the can come September/October. We'll know in the next couple of months how things shape up but that's what they're aiming for. All things being equal they will more than likely tour in 2009. They love it. It's their life and it's what they do."

Joe has more to say about U2, The Undertones and his beloved Cork in the next issue of Hot Press, out on Thursday.

(c) Hot Press, 2008.

nurse chrissi said:

Hot Press, May 19, 2008

U2 soundman Joe O’Herlihy has revealed that following a stint in Dublin’s Windmill Lane Studios, the band are set to do some warm weather recording overseas.

"I'm heading out to France to begin working with them on it," Joe tells hotpress.com. "They decided they needed a few rays while they were working on the new songs. But things are in full swing working towards a new album. We're hoping to have something in the can come September/October. We'll know in the next couple of months how things shape up but that's what they're aiming for. All things being equal they will more than likely tour in 2009. They love it. It's their life and it's what they do."

Joe has more to say about U2, The Undertones and his beloved Cork in the next issue of Hot Press, out on Thursday.

(c) Hot Press, 2008.

So let the debate begin. Does "in the can" mean they'll merely be done recording which probably means a mid '09 release or does it mean that the CD will be in shops by then?

And a couple other questions/comments: Were they really at Willmill Lane or do they mean Hannover Quay?

Also, the front page of another website (http://www.u2valencia.com/) says that Lillywhite and Lanois were back in Hannover Quzy with U2 in dublin. If Lillywhite is in the mix and O'Herlihy is being brought in does this mean they are near done? I know Lillywhite has often come in to help mix some songs. And isn't O'Herlihy the live engineer? Is he usually involved with the actual recording of an album?

Last edited:

Hot Press, May 19, 2008

(c) Hot Press, 2008.

Re: U2 move album sessions to France

Super Yo said:

Hot Press, May 19, 2008

(c) Hot Press, 2008.

So let the debate begin. Does "in the can" mean they'll merely be done recording which probably means a mid '09 release or does it mean that the CD will be in shops by then?

And a couple other questions/comments: Were they really at Willmill Lane or do they mean Hannover Quay? The front page of another website (http://www.u2valencia.com/) says that Lillywhite and Lanois were back in Hannover Quzy with U2 in dublin. If Lillywhite is in the mix and O'Herlihy is being brought in does this mean they are near done? I know Lillywhite has often come in to help mix some songs. And isn't O'Herlihy the live engineer? Is he usually involved with the actual recording of an album?

I would imagine that if they're planning on touring next year, then their live engineer already has a heavy workload of planning to do.

Re: Re: U2 move album sessions to France

burningedge101 said:

And a couple other questions/comments: Were they really at Willmill Lane or do they mean Hannover Quay? The front page of another website (http://www.u2valencia.com/) says that Lillywhite and Lanois were back in Hannover Quzy with U2 in dublin. If Lillywhite is in the mix and O'Herlihy is being brought in does this mean they are near done? I know Lillywhite has often come in to help mix some songs. And isn't O'Herlihy the live engineer? Is he usually involved with the actual recording of an album?

:up: The all-star team strikes again. Eno, Lanois and Lillywhite - bring it on, gentlemen.

Not only that - some Spanish speakers, help us out - if I understand that article right, another new song was heard by fans - Bono said it was "pshychedelic pop", sounded african.

Last edited:
The article on U2valencia says:

After some weeks of rest, U2 has returned today to the studios in Dublin. Josestation was able confirm the return to work of the group.

In addition, he was invited by Bono to listen to one of the new songs which Bono defined as "psychedelic pop". The song is very instrumental, with african sounds at the beginning and end of it.

The big news is that Steve Lillywhite has joined the project of the new album.

More information soon.

Sounds very interesting!

ramblin rose said:
The article on U2valencia says:

After some weeks of rest, U2 has returned today to the studios in Dublin. Josestation was able confirm the return to work of the group.

In addition, he was invited by Bono to listen to one of the new songs which Bono defined as "psychedelic pop". The song is very instrumental, with african sounds at the beginning and end of it.

The big news is that Steve Lillywhite has joined the project of the new album.

More information soon.

Sounds very interesting!

hmm...ok i'm getting very excited :D

but i'm confused on this thing about Lillywhite...what is his role in terms of the new album? and why is suddenly joining them? :hyper:

Wait a second....is the u2valencia article saying that the band are currently back in Dublin right now???? Cause I'm leaving for Dublin in two days........

If the album is "in the can" by September or October, I think we'll get the album before the end of the year. My guess is we'll hear the first single in September with the album released in late November.

With Lillywhite and Joe coming on board I think they're probably pretty far along in the process.

U2One said:
Wait a second....is the u2valencia article saying that the band are currently back in Dublin right now???? Cause I'm leaving for Dublin in two days........

yes that's what it is saying- good luck! :)

Bring a recording device just in case! :hyper:

I can't believe how little we've actually heard...

"in the can"?

hmmm......well, when one has to "take a dump", they often say they're "going to the can".

so the real question is what does "dump" mean?

Back
Top Bottom