MERGED ---> So how is it? + Now that it has soaked in, what's your review of Windows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This coming from a hardcore U2 fan... the song is nothing special. Wayyy to Popish and sappy of a song even by u2's current generation standards.

(gasp!)

If you're not going to rave about it, I'm taking my link back!!!

:madwife:

(totally just kidding ... I couldn't resist)

I actually liked it best upon first listen, then after two more listens was more "... well, it's pretty good!" Heh.

I'll give it a day or two to sink in, then judge it mightily. :wink:

The first time I listened to it, I didn't realize that that was Radiohead layered underneath it, and I was wondering why the music sounded so strange. I thought Thom was Edge :der: Of course, as soon as it was pointed out, I recognized Fake Plastic Trees. Now I'm picturing Bono pushing Thom in a grocery cart :lol: Anyhow, this song is probably never gonna be the same to me without the end of Fake Plastic Trees mixed into the beginning of it :wink:

Okay, I like it. Bono is channeling John Lennon, and though I'm more of a George fan, The Beatles are my second favourite band. I'm pleased with it.
I think it's one of the better songs of the last six years, but not the best. It's not better than Original of the Species, or Walk On, but personally, I like it better than a lot of the rest.
Lyrically it's strong, with themes of love and grace. Bono's voice sounds great, and the music is amazing. It's definitely catchy.
402 was my favourite beachclip by far, but I liked 400 a lot better than 404 so I'm happy (403 isn't worthy of a mention).
Overall, the song just sounds really full bodied, for lack of a better term. It's not the best song ever or even the best U2 song, but it's good, and I can't see this particular song being any better than this. It's perfect in its own way, if that makes any sense.

And has anyone else noticed the little bit at the 2 minute mark? Somebody running their fingers across the piano keys. I love that :drool:

Also, any chance we could keep the requests for the song in the other thread, so we can have this one for uncluttered discussion? Pretty please with a Pop CD on top :D

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Also, any chance we could keep the requests for the song in the other thread, so we can have this one for uncluttered discussion? Pretty please with a Pop CD on top :D

I promise, I'm monitoring that other thread too, and can keep on top of the requests, at least for a while longer tonight. :wink:

DreamOutLoud13 said:
I think it's one of the better songs of the last six years, but not the best. It's not better than Original of the Species, or Walk On, but personally, I like it better than a lot of the rest.

402 was my favourite beachclip by far, but I liked 400 a lot better than 404 so I'm happy (403 isn't worthy of a mention).

It's not the best song ever or even the best U2 song, but it's good, and I can't see this particular song being any better than this.

I agree completely on these fine points you have made. But you probably knew that. :sexywink:

Why the hell is the song so damn loud...it seems like there's too much going on (Im not talking about the radiohead intro)....is the quality bad???....I'd really like to hear a nice clean version...but I guess we'll have to wait until the 20th for that

One other point to put across. If anyone from the band is watching us :shifty: to see what we think... stick with Rubin, stick with Abbey Road, and PLAY MOFO! :madwife:

Also, The Edge is on fire, and I'm surprised no one else has thought of this yet:

edgefire2xo8.gif

Last edited:
DreamOutLoud13 said:
One other point to put across. If anyone from the band is watching us :shifty: to see what we think... stick with Rubin, stick with Abbey Road, and PLAY MOFO! :madwife:

Also, The Edge is on fire, and I'm surprised no one else has thought of this yet:

edgefirevz3.gif

I agree...Rubin did a GREAT job on this track...the song itself isn't unbelievable, but it does give me hope that the next album may be quite interesting...

The more times I listen to it the more I like some of the parts more than I like the song as a whole. And I do like the song but I don't think it is in the same league as some of their best.

That said, it is nice to have a new song.

Westport said:
That said, it is nice to have a new song.

U2 wants to be told if they're becoming crap. So tell them. It's quality over quantity. I wish the Stones quit after Exile On Main Street, in fact.

I mean, I'm 100% sure U2 has some great songs left in them. But is it worth it to have a handful of new classic tracks, but a string of dull, forgettable albums?

Maybe I'm just paranoid because the beach clips all sounded like adult contemporary schlock and the new song sort of fits into that "it's mundane and inoffensive" category........

Last edited:
BigMacPhisto said:

U2 wants to be told if they're becoming crap. So tell them. It's quality over quantity. I wish the Stones quit after Exile On Main Street, in fact.

I mean, I'm 100% sure U2 has some great songs left in them. But is it worth it to have a handful of new classic tracks, but a string of dull, forgettable albums?

Maybe I'm just paranoid because the beach clips all sounded like adult contemporary schlock and the new song sort of fits into that "it's mundane and inoffensive" category........
Let it go, a ha, and so to fade away....let it go, a ha, and so to fade away...

You need to listen to 'Bad', my friend.

It's okay not to like everything U2 puts out. Art/music/literature/ either speaks to you or it doesn't. If this doesn't speak to you, let it go. It's okay. U2 may have outgrown you, or maybe you outgrew U2...or maybe a bit of both. U2 have always had a few not so stellar songs, all the way back to War and The Unforgettable Fire (we won't even bring up October...oh wait, I just did :wink: )....but the truth is, U2 have never had perfect albums. The closest they ever got to that was The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, and now they will forever be damned for it.

Anyway, back to my original point: Let it go, a ha, and so to fade away....let it go, a ha, and so to fade away...

Kinda swings in and out of cheesy to good and back again 10 times. U2 are getting very good at this AC pop-rock thing though. It's a great tune, but I do hope if this is an indication of where they're at at the moment, there's not too much of these. I want some fire back.

More than this song itself, which is about a 7/10 for me after about 5 listens, is the fact that Rubin didn't convince Bono to sing the chorus with his full voice rather than letting him cop-out and do the pseudo-soul falsetto thing yet one more time.

Other than that personal want, it's as good as I would have reasonably expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom