MERGED ---> So how is it? + Now that it has soaked in, what's your review of Windows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have listened to the song basically nonstop in my office, looping over and over, for the last 2 days. I haven't gone this nuts over a U2 song since 'Beautiful Day.' Wow, wow, wow... thank you band, thank you Rick Rubin.

It's been played twice in the last hour on Virgin Radio in the UK. Go on line and you can listen to them on iTunes. Both times the song ran at about 35 minutes after the hour (I just caught it a few minutes ago.)

My reaction is mixed, and I think it has more to do with the arrangement than the song itself. There is too much going on in the arrangement and especially after Saints and Rick Rubin's work with Johnny Cash, I was expecting something a lot cleaner than this.

Windows also is going to be difficult to perform live because there's everything but the kitchen sink in here -- tons of effects, Edge singing falsetto, Bono aiming for high notes that sound gravely on the record, let alone in person. Add it all up and I think you're going to have people going out for beer and popcorn while it's on, unless it's played as an encore.

I would love to see them remix this arrangement and tone it way way down -- bring in some piano, and some white space instead of all the layersof sound which make it seem very derivative instead of unique. It's definitely not of the same caliber of the songs on HTDAAB or ATYCLB.

What comes to mind is the orginal version of Electrical Storm before the William Orbit mix that has become a classic. There's a fine song in there, except for the clunky rhyme of "skies" and "rhapsodize," and I think it needs another producer or another approach before it's ready.

If it's a choice between this and Saints, I think radio is going to play Saints.

One more thing re: radio hit material:

'Angel of Harlem' is comparable to this song in some ways, (not in style, but in feel), and that song wasn't even a monster hit if I remember, despite it being one of the most memorable pop songs of U2's career.

This got me thinking (when comparing these two songs)....I think the reason why 'Angel of Harlem' is so memorable -- and not just another pop song -- is because of those defining moments in the song, moments like, "An angel in devils SHOOEES, salvation in the BLUUUES....you never LOOK like an aANgeEL....yeah, YEAH..." (going from a scream into falseto and back again). It's the way Bono pushes and extends his voice to reach to higher levels, to reach out and really grab the listener. I guess the question we should ask is, this: Does 'Window in the Skies' do some of these things (to reach out and grab)? These are the things that will take it from just another good pop song with a catchy chorus to a monster hit.

LyricalDrug said:

"To love I rhapsodize" just means that Bono is giving praise to God: love = God, and rhapsodize = to give praise. The lyric "love left a window in the skies" is another clue that love = God. It's Bono's way of saying God gives everyone a path to salvation if they want to take it.

I'm not religious or anything, but Jesus, what a hell of a song. Absolutely effing mind blowing. I was very skeptical about the whole Rick Rubin idea, but if this song is any indication of how well he and U2 work together, they had BETTER bring him back for the new album.

AMEN.

KUEFC09U2 said:
i cant get over the bad reactions this is getting across the boards, i have seen some bad ones here, U2.com, and a few others,

:(

Personally, I'm impressed with the reception WITS is getting here.

Usually with pop-and post2000-U2 (think Stuck, S. Thing, Wild honey, AMAAW) more often than not it gets shot down brutally. (OOTS and WTIS being the exception to the rule).

For a more recent song comparison, it's overall as I see it, getting better reviews, than Mercy.

It boggles my mind what they didn't a) put Saints and WITS on one, double A-sided single and b) made it a Christmas time release. This STINKS of a huge crossover hit.

I like the "rhapsodize" line, it's a "what's this? is that a word?" moment much like "intransigence" in SATS.

Well, I gave it about 10 or 15 listens before I would write my opinion. At first I thought "well, its beter that Electrical Storm." I feel it is just so different. I've never heard a love song like this from U2 but I really do love the song a lot now. It took a little getting used to at first but I love it. It continues to grow on me each listen. Each listen the vintage U2 sound comes out a little more. Great job guys!!!:wink: I will now buy u2:18

KUEFC09U2 said:
i cant get over the bad reactions this is getting across the boards, i have seen some bad ones here, U2.com, and a few others,

:(

Maybe cos its crap!

At 2:36-2:40, is that really Bono?

That sounds better than anything falsetto since that "I know I've got to believe" bit in Playboy mansion.

:lol: Yes, I hear the sound of both C. Martin and N. Gallagher crying their heart out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom