MERGED ---> So how is it? + Now that it has soaked in, what's your review of Windows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant to also agree about the "to love I rhapsodize" line - it definitely sounds like something a preteen would write. It is an embarassing line, but I guess as Bono says during the song, he's "got no shame."

But, great song, and my overall impression of why it seems so much better than a lot of their recent stuff is what some others have said - it just doesn't sound forced. It sounds natural.

So do most radio stations have the song by now? Has anyone been hearing it on the radio a lot?

i like the song a lot, although some parts of the lyrics are corny. but my only concern is that U2 has forever lost its edge so to speak (no pun intended). the sexiness and thrill of, for example, Until the End of the World, The Fly, MOFO, has been missing for quite a while.

pop songs are nice, especially U2's take on them, but sometimes you want to hear something with balls. let them do something that defies convention or that wakes people up and makes them think, holy shit, that heavy...

i don't know, maybe they are done with experiments...been there done that type of thing. i hope not though

Axver said:
I initially wasn't struck by this song - I didn't feel huge amounts of love for it, nor any real dislike. It was just another U2 song, though not quite "U2 by the numbers".

It's started to get stuck in my head though and I'm coming to appreciate it. It's definitely not going to go down as a classic, memorable U2 track, but it's one of the better songs of the current era.

Coming from Axver, that's one hell of an endorsement. STOP THE PRESS!!

:wink:

U2girl said:

:shrug:

Maybe, but the piano-based melody reminded me of them, Bono seems to be chanelling Lennon in his singing, even the guitar solo sounds like George Harrison.

It's like the Beatles have used U2 to bring a new song into the world. Yes, this is a cheesy comment and I'm embarrassed even typing it, but this is my overwhelming impression of this song.

This song will last, IMO. I will occasionally not like a song and then come to like it as it grows on me. But ever so rarely have I encountered a song that I loved at first and then grew to despise. I liked this one off the bat---and like it even more a few days later---and I think this one will stick around.

When I first downloaded the radio version, I didn't have a great chance to listen to it. I had it playing in the background because I had 5 minutes to get changed, check email, and go to work. I liked it, partly because it sounded cool, but mainly because it was new.

When I got home from work the next day, I played it a ton & that's where it started to flourish as a great song to me. Whereas I at first thought it might be too busy, I've come to love all of the detail. Best part is that I think there will be more to discover about this song as time goes on! I love the feeling I get from the song & how inspired it sounds.

In a way, U2 reinvent themselves with a song like this. Almost Sweetest Thing. Almost OOTS. This is more psychedelic pop than anything they have released.

Utoo said:
This song will last, IMO. I will occasionally not like a song and then come to like it as it grows on me. But ever so rarely have I encountered a song that I loved at first and then grew to despise. I liked this one off the bat---and like it even more a few days later---and I think this one will stick around.

When I first downloaded the radio version, I didn't have a great chance to listen to it. I had it playing in the background because I had 5 minutes to get changed, check email, and go to work. I liked it, partly because it sounded cool, but mainly because it was new.

When I got home from work the next day, I played it a ton & that's where it started to flourish as a great song to me. Whereas I at first thought it might be too busy, I've come to love all of the detail. Best part is that I think there will be more to discover about this song as time goes on! I love the feeling I get from the song & how inspired it sounds.

Yeah, I thought that it was a bit too busy/noisy too at a certain point. But you only have to listen to it with headphones and you can distinguish all the crispy details.

This song just has the stuff. The same kind of stuff that Beatles songs were made of.

U2Man said:

Yeah, I thought that it was a bit too busy/noisy too at a certain point. But you only have to listen to it with headphones and you can distinguish all the crispy details.

This song just has the stuff. The same kind of stuff that Beatles songs were made of.

Yup! :yes:

One awesome thing-----If you listen to it on repeat, the trippy intro sounds as if it's part of the end of the song, and it sounds AWESOME at the end! :combust:

bgmckinney said:
Oh my. What an odd, cheesy, beautiful piece of work.

Wow. For two days now I've been trying to figure out how I feel about WITS (other than not as high on it as 90% of interferencers seem to be, but I like it). Combine that statement with the one below, that the song lacks sexiness and balls, and that pretty much is how I feel about it. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. If the new album has better lyrics, balls, and sexiness, and keeps the feel of WITS, I think I'll be happy.

I still think that it's not a easy song to hear and to fall in love at first sight, but its an impressive song... it has a certain magic attached to it... don't know. I think because its a change in U2 sound (from my point of view they never made a song like this)probably its difficult to like it right away.

and the lyrics are great, and it has balls because it is not a song like vertigo or elevation wich their only porpose was to call new fans.

Kildare said:

So do most radio stations have the song by now? Has anyone been hearing it on the radio a lot?
I called our local top 40 station, and they were quite snooty about the whole thing. First I called the DJ, and he tells me they don't have it on the playlist, and that it needs to go through the marketing dept. first and will play it in a couple of days. So then I call the marketing dept, and I get total attitude from him. I told him I could send it to him since they don't have it, and he snaps, "That's not true. We just haven't played it yet," to which I said thank you, have a nice day. Man, these guys are bad with public relations! (SUN FM in Kelowna, BC, by the way.)

EDIT: The reason I was a little more taken a back than usual, is because they had a U2 "nut" "call them in 2004 before Bomb was released, and they played 4 or 5 songs early! They were totally excited about the whole thing at the time....so I didn't think it was going to be a big deal this time with just one song.

Last edited:
i cant get over the bad reactions this is getting across the boards, i have seen some bad ones here, U2.com, and a few others,

:(

Kildare said:
I am really pumped for 404. That is going to be the landmark song.

No joke. If thats on the next album, it will be HUGE.

I didnt think the 400 clip was that great, and look how great it turned out. Just imagine what 404 could become.:drool:

The Slow Loris said:

There isn't a song in the U2 Canon that wouldn't get some bad reactions at first reception. Even 'One', so no worries. :)
how do you think it will do when released?

Probably I still think it's just a good song. It doesn't really sounds too great to me, but I like it, though. Maybe I can change my thought on it, over the next couple of years, and so I wish I could say this song is awesome and I love it too. :(

The Slow Loris said:
By the way, I've only listened to this song (the radio version) about five or six times within the space of half an hour yesterday, and now it's stuck in my head. That's a mark of a memorable tune.

yep.

This is gonna be a hit on the scale of beautiful day i think.

KUEFC09U2 said:
how do you think it will do when released?
If radiostations like Sun FM actually play it ;) , it will be quite a big hit. I'm not sure as big as 'Beautiful Day' (only because that song had so much of a fan push behind it), being that it was for a full U2 album, but I can see this one being a great Christmas time sing-a-long radio song for many. It has that wintertime joy about it. Like someone said earlier, a great song to wake up to....it would make the gloomiest days that much brighter. There again, it may just take off and be the biggest hit of their career. It's hard to predict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom