MERGED ---> So how is it? + Now that it has soaked in, what's your review of Windows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oceane said:

the usual 'U2-by-number' song, a category in which I would put ES, Walk On, Miracle Drug, COBL, Crumbs, Yahweh (all good songs btw), but not WITS.

YES. That is U2 by the numbers.

When I heard the versions taken from the radio, I must say I wasn't impressed by it. The studioversion is really growing on me now.. Does anyone know where to find the lyric?

It's a very poppy, Beatleesque song...but its great. Not what I was expecting, but great.

There are a few parts which i thought they could do better on, but most of it is really strong.

"love left a window in the skies...." love that line.

great production too :wink:
sounds like rubin won't drown out edge's guitar playing

Folkelig said:
When I heard the versions taken from the radio, I must say I wasn't impressed by it. The studioversion is really growing on me now.. Does anyone know where to find the lyric?

Is there actually a difference between the studio version and those that were played on the radio?

No, but the soundquality makes a huge difference to me.

Edit:
I'll try to elaborate on this. When I first heard the song taken from the radiostream, I thought the song was pretty boring. The hard compression of the streams were killing the higher frequencies (a constant "sssss" sound), as well as the lows. Even though the studioversion is mp3, and obviously still very compressed, it has a wider frequency spectrum, and thus allowing me to hear things in the song (get under the skin of it) that makes it more interesting for me. That, and of course, because the song is getting better for every time you listen to it.

Last edited:
Yeah, obviously it's the same song, so if you don't like the radio version at all chances are you won't suddenly fall in love with the studio version, but the sound quality and added intro really improve the song :drool:

Rubin is a keeper, definately.

I like the song a lot... i wished this was released over the Green Day collab... People who hate pop music will hate it but I think it's fantastic... Bono wasn't off in his praise of the song IMO. Sounds great to listen to it in the morning...

I'm glad it's not a keyboard song...

Last edited:
geeman said:
nice song ...is there any word on a video ?

Apparently there is one - on the release sheet from last month for U218, they said that the video was at major stations already last month. Then again though, they did call the song Window in the sky, not skies, so they could just as well be talking bollocks.

Thank you for the link, dreamoutloud13!

I remember posting, when the beach clips leaked some months ago, that the songs sounded like worship/gospel to me. Wits surdently is that. Do you think this is a hint of what might be coming? A U2 "worship" album? Does anyone here know the band Delirious? They did an album called "World service" a couple of years ago that sounded somewhat like this "new" U2. Well... just a thought:)

Folkelig said:
Thank you for the link, dreamoutloud13!

I remember posting, when the beach clips leaked some months ago, that the songs sounded like worship/gospel to me. Wits surdently is that. Do you think this is a hint of what might be coming? A U2 "worship" album? Does anyone here know the band Delirious? They did an album called "World service" a couple of years ago that sounded somewhat like this "new" U2. Well... just a thought:)

I agree! That would be wonderful, IMO. Interesting, I've now been listening to "WITS" through earphones now, and in the first repeat of the chorus I hear "Oh can't you see what our Lord has done, oh can't you see what our Lord has done, oh can't you see what our Lord has done, what He's doing to me." I definitely hear a difference in that repeat of the chorus, and the rest. And I do know Delirious?, but not that particular album. I'll have to check it out!

Original of the Species + Mercy = Window in the Skies (sort of)...

I liked how this has been more fleshed out sonically , and although it's token Edge he's a little more interesting guitar-wise compared to a lot of HTDAAB. The lead break sounds good as well. I'm listening to a lot of The Concretes these days, and the pop sound appeals to me which is why I'm into this song right now probably... and make no mistake that this is a pop song. If you hate catchy pop music, then you'll probably hate this song. It's a shame that some people hate that all-ecompassing genre but what can you do :shrug:

What I find weird is the comparison of The Fly and Window? Apples & oranges.

Personally, I think it's a wonderful song b/c of it's uplifting nature.

Hearing the "radio" version, it's nice to hear it more clearly. I love the dreamy intro, and it's good to hear Larry more.

Great song, possibly my favourite since Stay.

U2girl said:
Hearing the "radio" version, it's nice to hear it more clearly. I love the dreamy intro, and it's good to hear Larry more.

Great song, possibly my favourite since Stay.

I heard the studio version and the radio version differ a little b/c of the Radiohead thing in the beginning.... you haven't heard the studio version? The intro is fine...

I heard the radio and studio version, I meant to say "studio" version. :yes:
Studio version being the one with Larry on the drums being audible, a clean ending etc right?

Has anyone heard the running track order of u218? including window in the skies? i think it measures up nicely to the rest of the tracks, it really does.

U2girl said:
I heard the radio and studio version, I meant to say "studio" version. :yes:
Studio version being the one with Larry on the drums being audible, a clean ending etc right?

I guess so...

The whole greatest song in the world thing just sounds so goofy to me after a few listens. Could it be? Who knows? Is it even a classic? Dunno. IMO the people (mainstream) decide whether it is a true classic as opposed to a cult classic.

You know, everything after 2:30 saves the song and cements it as a great track. The quiet portion and Bono's voiceovers/lyrics are done perfectly.

Bravo Mr Rubin!

Canadiens1160 said:
You know, everything after 2:30 saves the song and cements it as a great track. The quiet portion and Bono's voiceovers/lyrics are done perfectly.

Bravo Mr Rubin!

Yep. When Bono whispers the chorus line and continues to "ignore" the classic falsetto chorus, the song really gets to an another level. I guess Mr.Rubin should indeed get the credit.

But, The Edge is a master. Just listen to that 400 demo and realize how much Edge did to lift this song to a higher ground.
That beautiful dreamy riff that floats through the whole song... :drool:

Right now I like it a lot, but I could also see this fading a bit after a few months, so who knows.

I am really pumped for 404. That is going to be the landmark song.

shart1780 said:
Am I the only one that thinks that the line "to love I rhapsodize" is embarassingly horrible? It sounds so forced to me. Reminds me of the lyrics to a song a 14 year old would write while trying to sound deep, poetic and grammatically sophisticated only to look back 5 years later in utter horror.

Yeah and what about "soul in a strip tease"??? Another half-baked preteenesque attempt at a deep meaningful metaphor. ugh.

I initially wasn't struck by this song - I didn't feel huge amounts of love for it, nor any real dislike. It was just another U2 song, though not quite "U2 by the numbers".

It's started to get stuck in my head though and I'm coming to appreciate it. It's definitely not going to go down as a classic, memorable U2 track, but it's one of the better songs of the current era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom