MERGED ---> So how is it? + Now that it has soaked in, what's your review of Windows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oceane said:
OK here are my initial impressions, keeping in mind that it takes time to properly judge any song, especially to compare it to older stuff.

Some context:
-Favourite album AB, closely followed by JT.
-I think overall U2 is still making absolutely fantastic music, and it never cease to amaze me, that being said they HAVE taken an 'pop-adult-contemporary' direction with the last two albums and I do wish they would go back to darker/deeper stuff.
-I LOVED BD when I first hear it and still do today. But the first time I listened to ATYCLB it was a bit of a let down, and although there are a few really good songs on that album I don't listen to it much anymore.
-I LOVED Vertigo when I first heard it and still do, awesome rock song. I had a pretty good feeling over other Bomb songs after first listen, and I think it's far superior to ATYCLB, but there is still *something* missing, some kind of spark, and I don't like the production either. But overall very strong collection of songs.
-Other recent non-album songs: Hands is their worst song ever, Electrical Storm and TGBHF are reasonably good U2 songs, but nothing massive. I liked them at first but wasn't blown away.
-I wasn't too excited about the beach clips at all, and even a bit worried. 400 was the most promising to me though.

Window in the Skies: I LOVE IT!
-It's a fantastic pop song.
-GREAT vocals, I love the fact that Bono is not pushing too much (which he was on most of Bomb)
-GREAT production, GREAT drums, GREAT melody.
-It's super catchy, I think it could be a massive hit, maybe bigger than anything since BD. It's a song that I think can reach many, U2 fans and non-U2 fans alike.

And most importantly, I think it has that 'spark' that most of the last two albums were missing somehow. I can't get it out of my head, and it has that effect on me that only great U2 songs have: it puts a smile on my face, a tear in my eye, and gives me chills all at the same time.

I can sort of understand that some people who really prefer the darker and deeper 90s stuff would be a bit dissapointed, because there is nothing revolutionary about this song. But what was needed was a powerful, universal, catchy song for the U218 compilation, and WITS is actually really exceeding my expectations on that front.

I do kind of hope they get more experimental with the next album, but really this song feels natural, not forced, and IT'S MAKING ME SO HAPPY! :happy: And no, I don't say that every time I hear a new U2 song.

Only time will really tell, but really so far I am impressed.

I love U2 :heart:

Echoing Utoo here when I say I agree with most of what you've said! Great post! :)

oceane said:
OK here are my initial impressions, keeping in mind that it takes time to properly judge any song, especially to compare it to older stuff.

Some context:
-I think overall U2 is still making absolutely fantastic music, and it never cease to amaze me, that being said they HAVE taken an 'pop-adult-contemporary' direction with the last two albums and I do wish they would go back to darker/deeper stuff.
-I LOVED BD when I first hear it and still do today. But the first time I listened to ATYCLB it was a bit of a let down, and although there are a few really good songs on that album I don't listen to it much anymore.
-I LOVED Vertigo when I first heard it and still do, awesome rock song. I had a pretty good feeling over other Bomb songs after first listen, and I think it's far superior to ATYCLB, but there is still *something* missing, some kind of spark, and I don't like the production either. But overall very strong collection of songs.
-Other recent non-album songs: Hands is their worst song ever, Electrical Storm and TGBHF are reasonably good U2 songs, but nothing massive. I liked them at first but wasn't blown away.
-I wasn't too excited about the beach clips at all, and even a bit worried. 400 was the most promising to me though.

-GREAT vocals, I love the fact that Bono is not pushing too much (which he was on most of Bomb)
-It's super catchy, I think it could be a massive hit, maybe bigger than anything since BD. It's a song that I think can reach many, U2 fans and non-U2 fans alike.

And most importantly, I think it has that 'spark' that most of the last two albums were missing somehow. I can't get it out of my head, and it has that effect on me that only great U2 songs have: it puts a smile on my face, a tear in my eye, and gives me chills all at the same time.

I can sort of understand that some people who really prefer the darker and deeper 90s stuff would be a bit dissapointed, because there is nothing revolutionary about this song. But what was needed was a powerful, universal, catchy song for the U218 compilation, and WITS is actually really exceeding my expectations on that front.

I do kind of hope they get more experimental with the next album, but really this song feels natural, not forced, and IT'S MAKING ME SO HAPPY! :happy: And no, I don't say that every time I hear a new U2 song.

I love U2 :heart:

fantastic post :up:

BigMacPhisto said:

U2 wants to be told if they're becoming crap. So tell them.

U2 your becoming crap, if it hasn't happened already. The new song, to me, sounds like a cross between The Corrs and something else thats crap. But thats just my opinion. I see the "I love all that is U2" are verrrrrry happy with it, so whats it matter.

One thing I will say about this song, I like the way they've sampled Fake Plastic Trees at the start. Thats a mark of genuis!:wink:

shaun vox said:
this will make all the soccer moms happy!!
thank you u2!! you sucked one more time!!
:banghead:
:down:

will these soccer moms be driving their limited edition slash volkswagon beetle?

slashvw.jpg

:rockon: RAWWWWWK!!!

rjhbonovox said:

U2 your becoming crap, if it hasn't happened already. The new song, to me, sounds like a cross between The Corrs and something else thats crap. But thats just my opinion. I see the "I love all that is U2" are verrrrrry happy with it, so whats it matter.
seen a few people that dont like most things U2 have done that have said how good it is, but hey you dont look at those do you?, theres at least 3 people on here you could easily have placed a bet on that would say the song is crap no matter what, that is yourself, mr vox and mr jacobs

but hey, after about 6 years of this type of music, you guys still hang around the new album forums ect

KUEFC09U2 said:
seen a few people that dont like most things U2 have done that have said how good it is, but hey you dont look at those do you?,

Name them people!

Just some thoughts for people who are not feeling good about WITS...

Firstly, I think it's totally fine to be critical and no one should feel that they *have* to like a song just because it's new U2. Although I do like pretty much everything they've ever released (but with varying degree) I think it's normal and ok to expect a lot from a band you love.

But I am just wondering if your desire for U2 to take a more experimental, less commercial direction for the next album is somewhat preventing you from potentially appreciating this song for what it is: a really great, powerful, universal pop song like only U2 can make?

I mean, if the next album is full of this type of song I might be a bit dissapointed too, only because I really enjoy when U2 takes a bit more risks and explore some darker corners of their creativity. But really, if you forget about this for a second, can't you let this song get to you a little bit? I mean how amazing is it that this band can still write songs that can make you feel so GOOD?

Well, at least it makes ME feel good! :wink:

KUEFC09U2 said:
seen a few people that dont like most things U2 have done that have said how good it is, but hey you dont look at those do you?, theres at least 3 people on here you could easily have placed a bet on that would say the song is crap no matter what, that is yourself, mr vox and mr jacobs

but hey, after about 6 years of this type of music, you guys still hang around the new album forums ect

They do it to annoy you. :cute:

KUEF, you have not learnt to ignore, have you? :laugh:

Ah.. interlanders! :hug:

I bet the live dvd gets a lot of downloads as most people will want to avoid the compilation and get the only thing thats worth getting and thats the live dvd. Unless you've got plenty of money to waste on songs you already have on 3 different albums.

oceane said:

...preventing you from potentially appreciating this song for what it is: a really great, powerful, universal pop song like only U2 can make?

Rubbish...The Corrs have been making this kind of twaddle for years!

Zootlesque said:

They do it to annoy you. :cute:

KUEF, you have not learnt to ignore, have you? :laugh:

Ah.. interlanders! :hug:
:sad: i know am sorry, but why try to annoy people on purpose?

trying to make you feel like a lepper because you like something they dont?

Last edited:
KUEFC09U2: ok but i like those songs, so does that make me such a bad person? that i actually have a totally different taste in music to you? and i do actually find this a quality song so again am i bad for that?
hey KUEFC08U2 whats your problem??? i never ever said that you are BAD...i just have another taste on U2 music yes its true i prefer the 90s stuff and i don't like most of the 2000s...but i am still a fan...i just prefer the older stuff, because its my taste, my opinion

rjhbonovox said:

Rubbish...The Corrs have been making this kind of twaddle for years!

Well ok, a lot of bands can write catchy pop-rock songs (I don't know much about The Corrs but whatever), but I do think that U2 songs most times have an extra *something*, that you can't quite put your finger on, but is lacking IMO in most of the music you hear today. I think WITS has it, as opposed to songs like Electrical Storm (or even COBL or Walk On) which to me sound a little forced, or a bit 'U2-by-numbers' (although they are still great songs).

Also I think that WITS has a tempo rarely used by U2, which makes it sound different and interesting.

jacobus said:
hey KUEFC08U2 whats your problem??? i never ever said that you are BAD...i just have another taste on U2 music yes its true i prefer the 90s stuff and i don't like most of the 2000s...but i am still a fan...i just prefer the older stuff, because its my taste, my opinion
but you pretty much start treating you opinion as being a fact, demanding in your own mind that U2 change there ways just so you can have your 90's U2 back

i havent got a problem, just wish after these past 6 years that some people would just accept that this is where the band are in there careers, rather than trying to get them to be something they maybe dont wanna be

Headache in a Suitcase said:

will these soccer moms be driving their limited edition slash volkswagon beetle?

slashvw.jpg

:rockon: RAWWWWWK!!!

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Now that's rock'n roll

:rockon: :rockon:

I am huge fan of U2 and keep reading all those praises about the new song but still don't know how to get it....except of course by just asking for it :)

Could anyone send it to me (clean version if possible)

macfisto1991@yahoo.ca

thanks guys!

Originally posted by oceane

Some context:

I do kind of hope they get more experimental with the next album, but really this song feels natural, not forced, and IT'S MAKING ME SO HAPPY! And no, I don't say that every time I hear a new U2 song.

I love U2

-----------------------------------------

very good post

i do believe streets is also in 6/8

yeah, and in the Making of the JT dvd, I believe Adam or someone says how they were pissed at Edge for coming up with that because no rock song is in 6/8. :wink:

The Chorus is unreal. Beautiful Day meets the Beatles. Bono's voice has NEVER been better...

i do believe streets is also in 6/8

I did say 'rarely', and not 'never'. :wink:

And needless to say, Streets is a fantastic song...:drool:

Speaking of rhythm in WITS, I really think the drums drive the song, and I hope that in the CD version they are more up-front in the mix. (this version we have is still poor audio quality)

Love the song very uplifting lot of power and emotion:drool: Very pleased with the production:yes: but on the down side no taking it somewhere else by the Edge and it would have been nice, for me anyway, if Larry drum filled a couple of times with a different tempo and didn't fill the need to breake it up all the time. On the whole 7.5/10. Hope that all made sense.

I liked it upon first listen, then didn't like it as much. Went to bed, woke up and listened to it again, and love it.

We'll see what happens in a week. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom